Why is there more cub simba merch compared to...

Why is there more cub simba merch compared to...

Postby Elton John » November 20th, 2018, 10:41 pm

adult simba even tho both are in the first movie almost the same amount of time? and cub simba is only seen briefly in other tlk media.

my best guess is that little simba is more marketable for merch cuz he’s so cute and fuzzy and meow meow meow’

any other guesses?
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Re: Why is there more cub simba merch compared to...

Postby SimbasGuard » November 21st, 2018, 9:35 am

What you said basically hits the nail on the head. Plus I suspect Disney is still targeting child fans of The Lion King. They figure us Adult fans would only want to by merch for the children in our lives. Which is sad because Disney must realize that The Lion King Franchise has plenty of adult fans. :sad: The only things that I have seen as being targeted at us adult fans are the special features on The most recent Blu-Ray release. (the cut scene of The Be Prepared Reprise).
My Avatar Was Made For Me By Thegeni99 Thank You So Much!

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride.
SimbasGuard
Guardian of the Pride Lands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride

Nickname(s): Anyone may shorten my name however they want.
Pride Points: 85

Postby DGFone » November 21st, 2018, 3:15 pm

[quote="Elton John"]
my best guess is that little simba is more marketable for merch cuz he’s so cute and fuzzy and meow meow meow’

any other guesses?[/quote]
You'be hit this right on...
[quote="SimbasGuard"]What you said basically hits the nail on the head.[/quote]
Dang it, not only did you reply earlier, but you used the exact same words that I did! :x

But yes, I think the merchandise is meant to appeal more to kids than adults. While you do have the collectors and enthusiasts who get just about everything they can, and being adults having the means to collect merch, their numbers are too small compared to the one-off buys parents getting things for their kids.

And as for adults without kids? When was the last time you bought some TLK merchandise?
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby SimbasGuard » November 22nd, 2018, 4:38 am

[quote="DGFone"]And as for adults without kids? When was the last time you bought some TLK merchandise?[/quote]

I bought A Lion King Baby Blanket (Featuring Baby Simba And Baby Nala) for my Great-Niece 8-)

The Last Lion King Merchandise was the most recent Blu-Ray Release of The Lion King. I don't think that counts as merchandise.

Although if Disney would release more adult sized apparel (That was affordable) I would buy it.

If Disney would release an actual CD of Vol. 2 of Lion Guard music I would buy it, but they opted for just the digital release.

The next Series of Lion Guard Blind Bags never even came to my local Walmart :sad:
Last edited by SimbasGuard on December 19th, 2018, 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Avatar Was Made For Me By Thegeni99 Thank You So Much!

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride.
SimbasGuard
Guardian of the Pride Lands

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride

Nickname(s): Anyone may shorten my name however they want.
Pride Points: 85

Postby PridelandsPhantom » November 23rd, 2018, 9:53 pm

The cubs have the cuteness factor going for them. Little kids relate to the cubs because the cubs love to play, are curious, energetic, and innocent :). The cubs are also smaller making plushies easier to make. Anthromorpism makes the cubs equivalent to about a 4-7 year old kid. :cool5:
Dog Mom to Misty, Sango, Tami, Abby, and Kawaii. :)
Three Angel Babies at the Rainbow Bridge: Mija, London, and Olga :cry:
PridelandsPhantom
Kion is My Waifu!

Disney Fan and Lioness at Heart

Nickname(s): Mako, Dog Mom, Alex, Jessi
Pride Points: 12

Postby PridelandsPhantom » November 23rd, 2018, 9:56 pm

Piggybacking on someone else’s reply about the only Lion King merchandise I’ve seen targeting adults has to do with the Broadway show, and honestly I don’t like it much :down:
Dog Mom to Misty, Sango, Tami, Abby, and Kawaii. :)
Three Angel Babies at the Rainbow Bridge: Mija, London, and Olga :cry:
PridelandsPhantom
Kion is My Waifu!

Disney Fan and Lioness at Heart

Nickname(s): Mako, Dog Mom, Alex, Jessi
Pride Points: 12

Postby MalibuTrashDog » December 6th, 2018, 11:15 am

[quote="DGFone"]And as for adults without kids? When was the last time you bought some TLK merchandise?[/quote]

I am a 29 year old adult without children and I am constantly buying TLK and other merch like Pokemon for me, myself and I. Your argument is invalid.
MalibuTrashDog
Daddy Atsume

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

The trash that collects you.

Nickname(s): Malibu, Sam
Pride Points: 100

Postby Captain Cupcake » December 6th, 2018, 11:24 am

[quote="MalibuTrashDog"][quote="DGFone"]And as for adults without kids? When was the last time you bought some TLK merchandise?[/quote]

I am a 29 year old adult without children and I am constantly buying TLK and other merch like Pokemon for me, myself and I. Your argument is invalid.[/quote]

No, it just means you're an outlier. His point is that adults who purchase toys for themselves are in the minority, so Disney isn't going to go out of their way to adjust their products towards their tastes over what they believe children prefer.
Captain Cupcake
Hnnng...

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

HNNNGGGG!!!

Nickname(s): Master
Pride Points: 11

Postby Lynx » December 10th, 2018, 5:52 am

There's so many shirts targeted toward women I'd like as a man too. Mostly 90s styled shirts too :(
Lynx

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Return to Beyond The Lion King