Poll ended at November 15th, 2018, 5:56 pm

Ahadi
13%
Uru
88%

Total votes : 8

Re: The Mohatu debate

Postby Elton John » October 19th, 2018, 10:54 pm

the difference between the EU and the lion king is that tlk was always a disney property, The Six New Adventures (based on what I know about it) is hardly as expansive or great as the EU, and it was decided not to be canon fairly early on.

That and random fanfiction for the franchise never was and never will be canon.
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Postby Regulus » October 20th, 2018, 7:53 pm

As others have stated, the general consensus has always been that Uru was Mohatu's daughter. But according to canon (last I checked, anyway), none of these characters really exist to begin with. At best you could consider them placeholders, like "Fluffy" was before Kopa.
Regulus
Is differentiable...

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

But convergence is not guaranteed.

Nickname(s): Reg, Regs, Last Person to Post
Pride Points: 206

Postby DGFone » October 21st, 2018, 5:48 am

[quote="Regulus"] At best you could consider them placeholders, like "Fluffy" was before Kopa.[/quote]

Exactly - Disney requested the creation of Six New Adventures, and while it can hardly be considered to be anything on the level canon-wise as The Lion King, truly speaking, nothing can be considered canon outside of the original movie. And sure, Disney can say "this is canon, this is not," but apart from owning the property, arbitrarily determining their own properties as canon or not later down the line can prove rather dangerous - just look at the Star Wars expanded universe.

What I myself personally consider important is what the work was meant when it came out - Six New Adventures added backstory to the Lion King universe, and while late works down the line can consider it useless, if there is nothing else to replace the information given - what's the point of saying it's invalid? It was valid enough back in 1994, and saying it's no longer the case in 2018, and therefor Mufasa's and Scar's father is ------, what's the point?
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby Azdgari » October 23rd, 2018, 12:28 am

[quote="FlipMode"]yep just like disney did with star wars, fans spent years building some great stories, adding more depth to the characters and exploring more of the mythos and then disney bought the ip and said "NONE OF THAT AMAZING STUFF IS CANNON ANYMORE!" thanks for that mickey.
wait what were we talking about again? lion king? yeah that film is okay i guess[/quote]
Exactly what I was thinking. That whole thing really changed the way I look at what is and isn't canon... and... who really cares? I think the best content should win out at the end of the day. That might be what is 'canon' and it might not. The garbage on Canto is canon for SW, but the Thrawn trilogy isn't--Star Wars Rebels is and KOTOR isn't, so... what more do you need to really say?

Oh yeah, TLK! To be honest, I always thought everyone's interpretation of 6NA as canon tomes to be odd from the start. I suppose in a universe starved for official content (this was before TLG... which... well, different subject too), you take what you can get, but I always found those stories to be somewhat unsatisfying and so never gave their genealogical implications a ton of thought.
Guess the Member with Kitva Hyperlink: show
"Hates me
Nothing but facts
Male"

"...Woeler?"

"ya"
Azdgari
big, wide turns

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 114

Postby DGFone » October 30th, 2018, 2:20 pm

So I am curious about this topic in this way, for those who have an opinion that is different than mine:

Since it it perfectly reasonable to say that Six New Adventures is not canon, what replaces the information provided in these books? As far as I am aware, they are the only source of Disney owned material that ever mentioned lions from before Scar and Mufasa by name, so is that information simply ignored?
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby TheLionPrince » October 31st, 2018, 4:53 pm

As far as I'm concerned, Disney has never told an official backstory of Mufasa and Scar's backstory that fully explained Scar's turn to evil and who their parents are. The Lion Guard gives some detail into their past, although I have my disagreements with it. Just last year, Rob Minkoff, co-director of the first film, told Honest Trailers that Scar was likely a "mean nickname" and he received his facial scar from Mufasa during a playful fight. While it's not canon, it does tie into the fact that facial scars like Kovu's come from lion claws.
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Postby SimbasGuard » November 8th, 2018, 11:47 pm

Since all we know of Mohatu comes from Disney's Read along book The Brightest Star. Despite it's semi-canon status I think it just has to be taken as it is.

When Mohatu passes away it says The Animals felt lost without their King. It made no mention of an heir to The Throne or that Mohatu even had a Queen. The Animals were uneasy until Mohatu's Starr appeared in the sky. For that reason I believe that Uru is Mohatu's Daughter and unfortunately Mohatu either did not feel that A Lioness could rule The Pride Lands or he simply forgot to decree that Uru would become Queen Regnant upon his death.

Uru's Queenship may not have been officially recognized until she took Ahadi as her mate thus giving The Pride Lands A King.

Ahadi may then have passed the law that A Lioness can rule The Pride Lands as Queen or Simba may have been the one to instate that law.
My Avatar Was Made For Me By Thegeni99 Thank You So Much!

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride.
SimbasGuard
Guardian of the Pride Lands

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride

Nickname(s): Anyone may shorten my name however they want.
Pride Points: 85

Previous

Return to Beyond The Lion King