So I recently rewatched the original....

So I recently rewatched the original....

Postby Elton John » September 10th, 2018, 1:40 am

it had been much longer than normal since my last rewatch

what really stuck out in this rewatch was when Simba and Nala first see each other after being apart for years.

she says to Simba ‘it’s like youre back from the dead. You don’t know what this means to everyone....what it means to me’

and as she says that last line you can see the pain in her eyes and face, but also a tinge of hope. and then the two nuzzle :D

it really melted my heart. it’s a really understated scene. She had for years been living under tyrannical rule, with her pride in shambles. she desperately searches for food and finds her childhood friend whom she thought was dead and instead of getting angry right away or feeling bitter she feels joy, probably for the first time in years.
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Re: So I recently rewatched the original....

Postby TheLionPrince » September 10th, 2018, 9:11 pm

Yeah, that's a great moment within the scene, and a good example of how showing less is more powerful. Nala's life during Scar's reign is left to interpretation, but we can still feel her pain. That's why I've gone back and forth over whether showing Nala's life and departure from the Pride Lands a subplot within the film weakens or strengthens the moment. I mean, it helps to have context, but you would also tell the audience what they already know.
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Postby SimbasGuard » September 15th, 2018, 8:09 am

By not showing Nala's departure. Her showing up in Timon and Pumbaa's Jungle is more unexpected...To anyone that did not jump on every piece of preview information they could find like I did back in 1994. You both are absolutely right. That scene has much more impact when you look at it closer.
My Avatar Was Made For Me By Thegeni99 Thank You So Much!

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride.
SimbasGuard
Guardian of the Pride Lands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride

Nickname(s): Anyone may shorten my name however they want.
Pride Points: 85

Postby Bunga1973 » September 16th, 2018, 9:30 pm

[quote="Elton John"]it had been much longer than normal since my last rewatch

what really stuck out in this rewatch was when Simba and Nala first see each other after being apart for years.[/quote]
One of the best part indeed.
Bunga1973

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nostalgia nerd

Pride Points: 1

Postby MeerkatOnTheMoon » December 18th, 2019, 2:06 am

Just rewatched it too, and especially since I spent the last couple weeks working on my The Lion King paper for one of my Media classes. Definitely a powerful line. We can see Nala's pain there and imagine what life was like at Pride Rock during Scar's reign. Moira Kelly is a wonderful actress and she excelled in dramatic acting like in One Tree Hill.
The Lion King III: Hidden Kingdom
Now available to read!
https://m.fanfiction.net/s/14288564/1/The-Lion-King-3-Hidden-Kingdom
MeerkatOnTheMoon
We need a new motto.

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Let's get going!

Nickname(s): Jules
Pride Points: 13

Postby le0 » May 9th, 2020, 10:08 pm

It's really what makes this movie so wonderful, there's so much emotion and love from everyone involved in making it and it really shows.
le0

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Jonas
Pride Points: 15

Return to The Lion King