Will the remake be realistic?

Re: Will the remake be realistic?

Postby TLK_Kid » May 10th, 2018, 10:04 pm

[quote="Warthog"] Yes, maybe it could be similar to Kovu's.[/quote]
Yep, that would work just fine.

[quote="Warthog"] A mandoon/babrill would be interesting. XD
By the way, I think he is just a mandrill with an abnormally long tail. In "The Lion Guard" we see baboons, that are clearly a different species from Rafiki's, and we also see that Makini (Rafiki's apprentice) has a short tail.
But if Disney wants to be realistic, Rafiki should be a baboon in the remake, since mandrills do not occur in Serengeti.[/quote]
It's a new species, seen only in The Lion King remake. Get your tickets now. :-o I also think he's probably a mandrill, but maybe Disney used elements of a baboon's appearance in his design?
TLK_Kid
When in doubt...

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

ASANTE SANA SQUASH BANANA

Nickname(s): Just call me Kid xD
Pride Points: 4

Postby Elton John » May 10th, 2018, 10:18 pm

[quote="TLK_Kid"][quote="Elton John"] how exactly did they ‘dig their own graves?’[/quote]
Cuz. Timon is a meerkat, but meerkats don't live in the Serengeti where the movie is set.[/quote]

meerkats also don’t sing elaborate musical numbers

or befriend lions

or.....

I don’t think Disney had realism in mind when they created the original.
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Postby TLK_Kid » May 10th, 2018, 10:39 pm

[quote="Elton John"]meerkats also don’t sing elaborate musical numbers

or befriend lions

or.....

I don’t think Disney had realism in mind when they created the original.[/quote]
Well...ehh...

Okay, fair enough. :lol:

But that's all because it's a Disney movie, and rules of nature/logic/basically the universe don't apply. You'd think when choosing what type of animal Timon would be, they'd at least choose something appropriate to the region.

Then again, it's possible Timon isn't from the Serengeti at all. In 1 1/2, his home is shown to be pretty far away from the Pride Lands. Maybe he's from southern Africa and traveled up to where the story's set?
TLK_Kid
When in doubt...

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

ASANTE SANA SQUASH BANANA

Nickname(s): Just call me Kid xD
Pride Points: 4

Postby Littlefoot » May 11th, 2018, 1:53 pm

[quote="TLK_Kid"][quote="Elton John"] how exactly did they ‘dig their own graves?’[/quote]
Cuz. Timon is a meerkat, but meerkats don't live in the Serengeti where the movie is set.[/quote]
Well, about that, Disney probably didn’t know at the time they made the original that they’d be doing a live-action remake 25 years later. Also, it’s not exactly like animated movies featuring anthropomorphized animals pay much attention to accuracy.
"I paid, but it's not slippery road surface. Finally, I was a taxi!" :sinister:
Balto forum: http://baltofanclub.proboards.com/
Land Before Time forum: http://www.gangoffive.net/
Littlefoot
Let your heart guide you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

It whispers, so listen closely

Location: Body is in Colorado Springs, CO. Soul is in Santa Fe, NM and Estes Park, CO
Nickname(s): LF, Shane
Pride Points: 7

Postby Panpardus » May 21st, 2018, 8:42 pm

I think at least part of the original script was set closer to the Kalahari region, which is where meerkats are from; otherwise it's just general geographic inconsistencies. That said, I think they could get away with species-swapping a few characters to make more geographical sense. For instance, making Timon some other type of social mongoose -- like a banded mongoose: http://www.krugerpark.co.za/images/1-ba ... e-590a.jpg -- would be a great choice and wouldn't remove anything from his characterization. In fact, real-life banded mongoose are known to form close associations with both baboons and warthogs, so you already have a built-in ecological reason for Timon and Pumbaa to hang out together in that scenario. (And confer with Rafiki, if they want to hint at any of that Lion King 1.5 dynamic.)

As for things they could do to more accurately represent the various characters design-wise, I'm sure they'll find ways to work around it. They'll probably just default to more realistic colors for various characters while still trying to keep the individualized designs, especially for the lions since there's so many of them to have to keep track of. This doesn't have to reduce the movie-accurateness of the designs of course; if you look to biology, there's ways to make it work. For instance, Mufasa and Simba can keep at least their golden pelts due to erythrism, a condition that makes animals more reddish:
Spoiler: show
Image Image

while Scar can have more grey-brown tones (complete with mostly black mane) like so:
Spoiler: show

Rafiki could be made to be a proper baboon and it wouldn't change anything, he just wouldn't be naturally colorful, although they could have him paint his face as part of his ceremonial position as Royal Mjuzi if they're going to keep that angle. Same with Zazu; if they want to make him a proper hornbill species then it won't matter all that much that he's not bright blue.

At this point my greatest fear is that they'll try to pull an anthropomorphized look like what Andy Serkis' Jungle Book film Mowgli is doing, but given what they did with The Jungle Book, I think we should be fine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzPUQsuHvEg
Panpardus

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 51

Previous

Return to The Lion King (2019)