Do you think Matthew Broderick was miscast as adult Simba?

Was Matthew Broderick miscast as adult Simba?

Yes
22%
No
78%

Total votes : 27

Re: Do you think Matthew Broderick was miscast as adult Simb

Postby The Spirit of Life » April 29th, 2017, 12:30 am

[quote="Trent Gladney"]He seems miscast almost eveywhere. In Godzilla he was annoying as hell.[/quote]

That whole movie was a bit ... off, in my opinion. But yeah, he was a little annoying in Godzilla. I think it was his hat. But to answer the thread's question, I didn't mind him as adult Simba.
The Spirit of Life
oh, oh, iyo ...

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

mamela.

Pride Points: 21

Postby PridelandsPhantom » May 4th, 2017, 5:09 am

I really don't have a problem with him being Simba and considering Simba's character in TLK I feel it fits. Simba is barely an adult lion so he's going to be uncertain and still have teen elements to him and I could feel Broderick's emotion in many scenes like confronting Scar, seeing Mufasa's ghost, and anger and annoyance after his fight with Nala. He's going to be immature and I think his voice fitted fine, much better than TLG take on Simba.
Dog Mom to Misty, Sango, Tami, Abby, and Kawaii. :)
Three Angel Babies at the Rainbow Bridge: Mija, London, and Olga :cry:
PridelandsPhantom
Kion is My Waifu!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Disney Fan and Lioness at Heart

Nickname(s): Mako, Dog Mom, Alex, Jessi
Pride Points: 12

Postby Squeely » June 4th, 2017, 11:13 am

[quote="Trent Gladney"]He seems miscast almost eveywhere. In Godzilla he was annoying as hell.[/quote]
I think Broderick does pretty well with a good script and good directing. TLK definitely had that. Godzilla didn't, not even in the slightest.
Ask me anything!#TeamFemale on the Gender Race

Squeely

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Sassy cub

Nickname(s): Debby, Debs, Deebee, Cap'n Squeels McDeebee
Telegram: @Squeely
Pride Points: 49

Postby WildSimba » June 7th, 2017, 6:01 pm

I think he fit pretty well.
"There are you, you drive like a demon from station to station," - David Bowie
WildSimba
Fan the Flames

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Ain't it Funny how it happens

Nickname(s): WS, David
Telegram: Ask me through PM
Pride Points: 122

Postby SimbasMate » June 8th, 2017, 3:51 pm

If he wasn't good to begin with, then why did Disney choose him in the first place to voice Simba? I think he did a pretty damn good job. In fact, he fits Simba perfectly in my opinion and nobody else can fill his place as Simba.
[quote="Amanda"]And just like that she vanished, like a fart in the wind.
[/quote]
sig by Regulus
SimbasMate
Queen of Hell

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

BB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/mes

Nickname(s): SM/Crystal
Telegram: @CatOverlord
Pride Points: 161

Postby LeonKFox » June 20th, 2017, 1:58 pm

I think he works well enough when living it up with Timon and Pumba and even when reconnecting with Nala, but when he tries to sound commanding and kingly when confronting Scar, he just sounds out of place. Definitely could have used an actor with a broader range, to make the intense scenes work in their favour as well as the laid back ones.
LeonKFox

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 1

Postby KiovuLove » July 7th, 2017, 5:18 am

It could be because some of my earliest memories were watching the movie since I'm only about a year older than the film, but I couldn't imagine anyone else voicing him and honestly I LOVED him as Simba. Even though I used to watch the Inspector Gadget movies as a kid, I didn't notice that they were the same actor. I haven't really watched him in anything else and any time I hear his voice or watch the IG movies now I just cant stop imagining Simba. Almost like it's Simba who's voicing Matthew Broderick :lol: I do kind of wish he actually sang in the film though. He can sing pretty decently. I don't think they needed a whole other person for the singing.
But you'll see every day
That we'll never turn away
When it seems all your dreams come undone

We will stand by your side
Filled with hope and filled with pride
We are more than we are
We are one

KiovuLove

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I laugh in the face of danger!

Nickname(s): Pandi, Jess
Pride Points: 13

Postby MeerkatOnTheMoon » October 14th, 2019, 5:18 pm

[quote="KiovuLove"]I do kind of wish he actually sang in the film though. He can sing pretty decently. I don't think they needed a whole other person for the singing.[/quote]

Matthew was definitely perfect as Simba. He sang really well in "The Producers" with Nathan Lane (Timon). It sounded exactly like Simba. I agree that his singing voice was spot on.
The Lion King III: Hidden Kingdom
Now available to read!
https://m.fanfiction.net/s/14288564/1/The-Lion-King-3-Hidden-Kingdom
MeerkatOnTheMoon
We need a new motto.

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Let's get going!

Nickname(s): Jules

Postby Elton John » October 14th, 2019, 6:08 pm

Thinking about it, he’s definitely better in the role than Cam Clarke or Rob Lowe but there’s just something about his voice that I don’t like. He’s fine in most scenes, but I never got the feeling he was the same character as his younger self even taking into consideration the trauma he went through and how that changed him.

I always loved jtt in the role as young simba, he showed a lot of range in the character.

I think I need to rewatch the original and really pay attention to the differences in acting and personality between jtt and matthew broderick.

Now as for Jd Mcrary, he has a really lovely singing voice. I have heard much of his non-tlk music. Is he considered a Tenor, Baritone, or something else? I know he can do acapella really well, no autotune for this kid!

But my problem with him is that his acting lacks range and sounds a little high which is strange considering his normal voice is a bit lower than in the movie.
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Postby MeerkatOnTheMoon » October 15th, 2019, 7:37 am

Matthew definitely owned it especially over Cam Clarke and Rob Lowe. Donald Glover did great though, and it seemed like he channeled Matthew in his line deliveries as adult Simba in the 2019 version. Yeah, JTT was memorable as young Simba. JD sang so well, though I agree with you on the acting part.

In "Simba's Pride", Matthew mastered Simba's character even more as a reigning king and a father for Kiara.
The Lion King III: Hidden Kingdom
Now available to read!
https://m.fanfiction.net/s/14288564/1/The-Lion-King-3-Hidden-Kingdom
MeerkatOnTheMoon
We need a new motto.

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Let's get going!

Nickname(s): Jules

PreviousNext

Return to The Lion King