Do you think Matthew Broderick was miscast as adult Simba?

Was Matthew Broderick miscast as adult Simba?

Yes
22%
No
78%

Total votes : 27

Do you think Matthew Broderick was miscast as adult Simba?

Postby TheLionPrince » January 16th, 2017, 7:11 pm

A lot has been said about Broderick's vocal performance as adult Simba with a fair majority calling it bland and deeming that his voice doesn't seem to fit with the character while the other half is fairly supportive of it. Well, what do you think?
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Re: Do you think Matthew Broderick was miscast as adult Simb

Postby Elton John » January 16th, 2017, 8:14 pm

He lacks the charisma of scott weinger as aladdin, lacked the vocal punch of robby benson as beast, and jtt did a better job as young simba. However he wasn't terrible or really bland, just that he was outclassed by almost every other actor in the movie but to be fair most of the other actors ranged from 'really freaking good' to 'some of the best english performances in animation' that I have seen.

After the lion king broderick went on to do award winning, critically acclaimed hit films such as Inspector Gadget, Roland Emmerichs Godzilla, and uh...at least he's still famous for Ferris Buellers Day Off.
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Postby FireAndSun » January 16th, 2017, 8:44 pm

I definitely think they could have gotten a better voice actor for adult Simba. Broderick wasn't bad or anything. He did a perfectly acceptable job. But when you're competing with the sort of vocal performances given by Jeremy Irons or James Earl Jones in the movie, you're just going to seem lackluster in comparison.
FireAndSun

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 25

Postby Alexterri1 » January 16th, 2017, 10:04 pm

Eh I do somewhat agree. His performance isn't anything unique; as Elton John said, other male leads in Disney films have given much better performances, and KTT was more vibrant as cub samba.

But considering I honestly find Adult Simba to be pretty bland and boring anyway, its not a huge deal to me. And most of the performances in TLK are good, so I can forgive a few duds.
What is the difference between a cat and a comma? One has claws at the end of its paws, and the other is a pause at the end of a clause :D
Alexterri1
Queen of the Pridelands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

We are One

Nickname(s): Alex
Pride Points: 6

Postby Ninaroja » January 16th, 2017, 10:12 pm

I think he fits pretty well, though that might just be because that's how it's always been, and I can't imagine another voice there.

I might change my mind by the time the remake is released, though (I'm assuming "re-imagining" involves a whole new voice cast, as well)
Signature Graphic made by Simbasmate! Thanks a ton :cheese:

Fanfiction Q&A Tumblr
Ninaroja
Nee-nyah Row-hah (AKA KULCY)

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Simba is Love. Simba is Life.

Nickname(s): Kulcy, Lucy, Nina, Juicy, MLK Drama Detective ;)
Pride Points: 82

Postby SimbasGuard » January 18th, 2017, 7:54 am

Matthew spoke with a boyish charm that was needed when Simba was living the Hakuna Matata lifestyle with Timon and Pumbaa. I personally felt Simba's pain when he faced Mufasa's Ghost. and he did manage to have a regal presence when he needed to speak with authority. I had no problem believing that Simba had every intention of ripping Scar apart when he made that threat.

Matthew's performance was not the most impressive in the movie, but he totally fit Adult Simba perfectly. Also to paraphrase what FireAndSun said, When your vocal performance is being measured against James Earl Jones and Jeremy Irons. I think that there are very few actors that would not fall short under those circumstances.
My Avatar Was Made For Me By Thegeni99 Thank You So Much!

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride.
SimbasGuard
Guardian of the Pride Lands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride

Nickname(s): Anyone may shorten my name however they want.
Pride Points: 85

Postby Squeely » January 23rd, 2017, 8:29 am

I think Broderick is fine as Simba. While he's not as amazing as Jones, Irons, or even Atkinson, I felt his sorrow over the loss of his father, joy over reconnecting with Nala, and anger at Scar. Imo, Broderick has quite a good range here! Though I am hoping for something along the lines of Jason Raize's Simba for the live action remake.
Ask me anything!#TeamFemale on the Gender Race

Squeely

Sassy cub

Nickname(s): Debby, Debs, Deebee, Cap'n Squeels McDeebee
Telegram: @Squeely
Pride Points: 49

Postby Trent Gladney » April 11th, 2017, 7:35 am

He seems miscast almost eveywhere. In Godzilla he was annoying as hell.
Trent Gladney

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 0

Postby Captain Cupcake » April 14th, 2017, 7:44 am

I think he's a pretty good fit for the role. At least for what we saw.

Admittedly, with that voice and the demeanor they gave him, it's a bit difficult to picture Simba as a full-fledged, regal and commanding king later down the line (and that's even with a DTV sequel already giving us a glimpse of this). However, that isn't really a problem. He was intentionally designed to be this young, uncertain and lost individual, and out of the people that auditioned for the role, Broderick's voice and performance was most likely the sort they were gunning for with this particular character.

Had the film required him to be a more dominating and confident figure like his father, then someone else would have probably been better suited for the role, but with the story they were trying to tell, he was fine. Simba's the kind of character where his later years are best left to the imagination.
Captain Cupcake
Hnnng...

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

HNNNGGGG!!!

Nickname(s): Master
Pride Points: 11

Postby Solar » April 15th, 2017, 8:35 am

I really liked his performance as Simba! I'm kinda surprised to hear that it has a mixed reaction, though I guess I can kind of understand though. But I don't know, I really like his boyish charm he brings to it. Maybe the final scenes where he has to be really serious might not match that denouement, but I still think he does a good job. I'm not a fan of his voice on The Lion Guard and that really just made me miss Matthew even more. So yeah I definitely like him a lot ♥
Solar
He Lives In You

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

He Lives In Me

Nickname(s): Solar, Molly
Pride Points: 4

Next

Return to The Lion King