Favorite small moments 'the lion king'?

Re: Favorite small moments 'the lion king'?

Postby Elton John » September 16th, 2016, 6:40 am

Lil' Simba was a bit naive, but he was not on the level of an idiot.
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Postby BrianGriffinFan » September 16th, 2016, 6:57 am

[quote="Elton John"]Lil' Simba was a bit naive, but he was not on the level of an idiot.[/quote]

I dunno. He struck me as pretty unlikeable overall. But there's already a topic on cub Simba, so I'll leave it at that.
BrianGriffinFan

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: -2

Postby Captain Cupcake » September 16th, 2016, 10:10 am

[quote="BrianGriffinFan"]Well, using that vibe feels kind of inappropriate for the situation. Simba isn't entirely happy to go back since it means facing his past, and his home is invaded by hyenas, so it's not really a triumphant or joyous scene at all to me, it's a frantic race back to save his home.[/quote]

You're forgetting that his confidence was boosted in the scenes with him just prior to that sequence. He wasn't in a state of stress, but was just determined to go and do the right thing. Right when he leaves, it's treated as a huge and momentous moment, with Rafiki calling out in joy, announcing to the world that the true king was off to save the day, and Simba was just as enthused and more relaxed after the weight had been lifted off of his shoulders. Additionally, he doesn't actually know the full extent of the Pride Lands' damage. He knows some details that life isn't all well there, but he had no idea of the situation being as terrible as it was. That's the whole point of the scene just after that short desert sequence, where he's observing the dead lands in shock and realizing just how severe the situation is.
Captain Cupcake
Hnnng...

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

HNNNGGGG!!!

Nickname(s): Master
Pride Points: 11

Postby Amur_Tiger » September 16th, 2016, 7:36 pm

I'm not sure the boost in confidence is really what sets that scene, his last comments to Rafiki do not suggest that he's full of confidence about what he's going to do but he's gathered himself to do something hard because he believes it's the right thing to do.

What is present though is a feeling of anticipation that I think is best described by the words of a high-altitude mountain climber. 'the usual pre-assault high when every muscle is ready and poised for the first command'

Simba is, like Boukreev before a summit assault, embarking upon a great and difficult task that will test him. Indeed it is the challenge that Simba ( and any male lion ) was born for, just as high-altitude climbers live for the challenges of summit day. It is this anticipation, being on the cusp of great achievement, that runs through that scene. Similarly when confronted with the particulars of the task, the tone changes, Simba's seeming jubilance slows down as he sees the ruin of the pridelands likewise climbers aren't jubilant when facing the particular challenges they might encounter.
Amur_Tiger

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 9

Postby Rollo » September 18th, 2016, 3:15 pm

My favourite 'small moment' ever is one that I don't think a lot of people have even noticed, but I've come to believe was intentional on the part of the filmmakers. I certainly didn't notice it until a couple of years ago. But maybe that's just me!

The baby giraffe walking with its parent into the sunlight during the Circle of Life when they're travelling to Pride Rock seems to go through its own little journey in the movie, because at the end of the film, when the animals are again at Pride Rock for Simba and Nala's cub's presentation, a giraffe and its parents looks up toward Simba. Of course, this could easily just be a random giraffe. That's probably the case. But I believe the giraffe that looks up is the infant of the baby giraffe we see in the beginning, who is now grown up and continuing the circle of life in its own way, the same way Simba has--with a mate (we see two adult giraffes) and an infant. I think it's intentional because it's focus of the shot (even if it's brief) and the way it is animated. It just comes across as being very purposeful to me. Even if it isn't, it's something I always look out for watching the movie now and it makes me smile. :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUM9qkHn5u0 around 2:01.
Rollo

Pride Points: 29

Postby Lionkingview » November 7th, 2016, 7:41 am

Well there is the bath scene, which always makes me awww at the screen. Then i guess simba and nalas 360° snuggle during can you feel the love thonight. Oh and Simbas awesome as all hell lightning light appearance right after scar slapped Sarabi.
ImageImage
But in the end, the human soul
will ever reach for the truth
-Samus Aran-
Lionkingview
I go my own way

Pride Points: 6

Postby PrincessKiara » November 12th, 2016, 11:17 pm

[quote="The Lionvengers"]I also like how when nala and simba are cubs, when they start roughhousing, and nala wins twice in a row, simba doesn't say stupid stuff like 'I can't believe I lost to a girl' or anything like that.[/quote]

I like that too, he`s not a sore loser or upset that he lost to a female. In the PS1 TLK game, cub Nala appears in the first level and gives you hints, to which Simba replies "Thanks, Nala, you`re great...for a girl." I don`t remember the line exactly, but it always felt odd and out of place to me, not like something Simba would say.

Anyway, some of my favourite small moments in The Lion King are:

The whole Bath scene, I love the interaction between the cubs and their mothers.
Rafiki and Mufasa hugging, and Mufasa and Sarabi rubbing their heads together.

Like someone else pointed out: How Zazu tries to shield the cubs from the hyenas, and how Simba tries to protect Nala.

Simba slashing Shenzi`s face, saving Nala`s life. That is badass.

Nala and Simba`s excited cheers when they meet again as adults. So cute!

Simba: "Look, I`m still the same guy."
Timon: "But with power!" :lol:
PrincessKiara
I`m no super genius. Or are I?

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Miles To Go Before I Sleep

Nickname(s): Solle
Pride Points: 40

Postby Squeely » November 17th, 2016, 8:04 am

The absolute best small moment is Sarabi walking past all the hyenas. It tells you everything you need to know about how Sarabi has kept her composure and dignity throughout all she's had to endure.

I love Zazu's little interjections in "Just Can't Wait to be King". When you're a kid, he comes off as the stuffy and boring adult. When you become a stuffy and boring adult, the relatability of what he says makes it funny. Zazu's bravery in the face of predators far larger than him is also subtle, but an amazing touch.
Ask me anything!#TeamFemale on the Gender Race

Squeely

Sassy cub

Nickname(s): Debby, Debs, Deebee, Cap'n Squeels McDeebee
Telegram: @Squeely
Pride Points: 49

Postby SimbasGuard » November 28th, 2016, 4:54 am

Some of these details I did not even notice after several viewings but They are:

After Scar takes the throne and the scene goes back to Rafiki's tree. A small tear goes down Rafiki's face, he wipes it and then wipes his hand over Simba's picture. I felt this added even more emotional depth to the scene.

When Timon is trying to shove Pumbaa out from under the tree root when Nala is chasing him. His line "Why do I always have to save your AAAAAHHHHHHH!" is hilarious to me.

When Nala and Simba reunite, when she tell him "I've really missed you" and then nuzzles him. She purrs.
My Avatar Was Made For Me By Thegeni99 Thank You So Much!

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride.
SimbasGuard
Guardian of the Pride Lands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride

Nickname(s): Anyone may shorten my name however they want.
Pride Points: 85

Postby xoxo » January 5th, 2017, 7:15 am

When Scar said "I'm surrounded by idiots!"-meaning the hyenas cause they were acting dumb! LOL! Scar does have a funny side to him! :lol: :chuckle: :rofl: :rofl2: :lol4: :nukalaugh:
xoxo
Live. . .Love. . .Laugh

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

LovableLioness08

Nickname(s): Holly Bear
Pride Points: 4

PreviousNext

Return to The Lion King