Favorite small moments 'the lion king'?

Favorite small moments 'the lion king'?

Postby Elton John » September 10th, 2016, 5:51 pm

When discussing tlk there are a lot of small things that don't get much recognition, but are still important in the grand scheme of things.

You can list as many as you want, and explain why if you want.

-During the scene inside the den during Scars reign, Scar asks Zazu to sing a song 'with a little more bounce to it'. Zazu sings a little bit of 'it's a small world.' Scar interrupts him, saying 'no, anything but that.'

The song is a famous part of disney history, written by the sherman brothers, both of which worked closely with Walt. For a Disney movie to admit that the song is annoying amuses me.

-For half a second zazu shields Simba and Nala right as the hyenas appear.

Zazu is so loyal that, even after being mocked by them and being sat on by a rhino he still thinks of their safety before his own.

-That brief part near the end of the elephant graveyard scene, when Simba and Nala are cornered by Hyenas.

Simba plants himself directly in front of Nala, not to her side or behind her. If Mufasa didn't show up he would have been the first to die. He didn't care, protecting his best friend was more important.

-Directly at the end when Rafiki is presenting kiara, Timon is seen with arms in the air, hands held, and shaking them as if all the other animals are there for him.

I found that to be amusing.
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Re: Favorite small moments 'the lion king'?

Postby DGFone » September 12th, 2016, 3:47 am

I still consider the magic pool scene with Rafiki and Simba to be my favorite scene in the entire movie. The combination of visuals, the music, and even the ambient noises such as the wing and the creeking from the neerby wildlife always made me very appreciative of the scene. Almost goes without saying that I also greatly enjoy the scenes right before this with Rafiki and Simba as well, although I do find the chase through the bushes rather noisy and hectic. it's a great bridge for the two scenes and allows the mood to reset, but still rather jarring for me.

Another small scene which I really like is the whole "betrothal" news ordeal. This is a bit tricky because it's not the scene itself, but the background score which really causes me to haver... strong emotional reactions to that scene. Around late 2011, I was listening to that portion of music, (found on youtube as either "Plotting" in the Complete Score, or as "Hyenas in the Pride Lands" in the Legacy Collection), when I experianced a rather significant event in my life (not a bad thing though, so don't worry about that). Since then I can't listen to that music the same way, so when that scene shows up and I am watching the movie... yeah... Not even sure if I can even say that I like or dislike that scene because of that.
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby Simba_Lion » September 12th, 2016, 7:18 pm

[quote="Elton John"]-Directly at the end when Rafiki is presenting kiara, Timon is seen with arms in the air, hands held, and shaking them as if all the other animals are there for him.

I found that to be amusing.[/quote]

Yeah, that moment is funny. It's so... "Timonish". :D
Anyway, my favourite moment is when Simba and Mufasa starts to play under the stars, after the lesson. And that music ... when Simba starts chasing his dad, it's so beautiful and touching.
Simba_Lion

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Simba
Pride Points: 4

Postby TheLionPrince » September 12th, 2016, 9:33 pm

My favorite "small" scene was when Mufasa teaches Simba about the Great Kings of the Past. Mufasa's comment adds a mystical, spiritual quality about those who long passed away are able to look on the living from the heavens. What makes the scene more emotional was Hans Zimmer's underscore with the "Lea Halalela" theme.

Also another "small" scene is the scene when Simba, Nala, Timon, Pumbaa, Rafiki, and the lionesses re-convene at Pride Rock following the defeat of Scar and the hyenas. I love the visual imagery of rain metaphorically healing the Pride Lands from the fire and the music that accompanies is very lyrical and soothing to listen to.

And when Simba runs across the desert on his way back to the Pride Lands while "Busa" is playing. It just has an epic (and even heroic) quality to it that you would find in David Lean's widescreen epic films.
Last edited by TheLionPrince on September 14th, 2016, 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Postby Captain Cupcake » September 12th, 2016, 10:19 pm

When Simba and Nala reunite, I liked the way they greeted each other with the friendly head butt and started gesturing about in a more feline manner to show their interest and excitement.

To add to the whole "music makes the moment" mentions, I like how the scene where Simba starts to break down due to the guilt of his father's death is punctuated by a short use of the death motif, serving as a reminder of that significant moment where he finds his father's body. It's actually followed shortly by another nicely scored section where Simba tries to get away from Rafiki, and stares down at the water from atop a log, with a very pensive yet peaceful rendition of his theme (presented much differently in the Legacy Collection's mix) playing, hammering down the fact that he needs to pick himself up and change things.
Captain Cupcake
Hnnng...

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

HNNNGGGG!!!

Nickname(s): Master
Pride Points: 11

Postby Amur_Tiger » September 14th, 2016, 5:49 am

I like the wistful moment when Simba flops down after being mocked about his father's beliefs about the stars and the kings of the past.
Amur_Tiger

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 9

Postby BrianGriffinFan » September 15th, 2016, 1:25 am

[quote="TheLionPrince"]

And when Simba runs across the desert on his way back to the Pride Lands while "Busa" is playing. It just has an epic (and even heroic) quality to it that you would find in David Lean's widescreen epic films.[/quote]

That's a part that bothers me. Simba is frantically running back to save his home, and they have this cheery music playing, plus cheesy slow-motion.

But that's just LK, it's overblown and full of cheese. That's what makes it what it is, I guess.

I like the bit while Shenzi and Ed hold each other while Mufasa stands over them. Thought I'd bring up something about them, since no one talks about them much on these boards.
BrianGriffinFan

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: -2

Postby Captain Cupcake » September 15th, 2016, 11:48 am

[quote="BrianGriffinFan"][quote="TheLionPrince"]

And when Simba runs across the desert on his way back to the Pride Lands while "Busa" is playing. It just has an epic (and even heroic) quality to it that you would find in David Lean's widescreen epic films.[/quote]

That's a part that bothers me. Simba is frantically running back to save his home, and they have this cheery music playing, plus cheesy slow-motion.[/quote]

The vibe they're trying to create is that his return is a momentous and hopeful occasion. That he's finally "found himself" again and is going back to take his place as king and restore order. It's not really an alien concept in movies. It's the big scene where the protagonist goes back to save everyone, with triumphant music to accompany the hero's return in the story.
Captain Cupcake
Hnnng...

HNNNGGGG!!!

Nickname(s): Master
Pride Points: 11

Postby Elton John » September 15th, 2016, 10:59 pm

I also like how when nala and simba are cubs, when they start roughhousing, and nala wins twice in a row, simba doesn't say stupid stuff like 'I can't believe I lost to a girl' or anything like that.
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Postby BrianGriffinFan » September 16th, 2016, 5:57 am

[quote="Captain Cupcake"][quote="BrianGriffinFan"][quote="TheLionPrince"]

That's a part that bothers me. Simba is frantically running back to save his home, and they have this cheery music playing, plus cheesy slow-motion.[/quote]

The vibe they're trying to create is that his return is a momentous and hopeful occasion. That he's finally "found himself" again and is going back to take his place as king and restore order. It's not really an alien concept in movies. It's the big scene where the protagonist goes back to save everyone, with triumphant music to accompany the hero's return in the story.[/quote]

Well, using that vibe feels kind of inappropriate for the situation. Simba isn't entirely happy to go back since it means facing his past, and his home is invaded by hyenas, so it's not really a triumphant or joyous scene at all to me, it's a frantic race back to save his home.

Now after it's been saved, then the use for triumph and joy is appropriate.

[quote="Elton John"]I also like how when nala and simba are cubs, when they start roughhousing, and nala wins twice in a row, simba doesn't say stupid stuff like 'I can't believe I lost to a girl' or anything like that.[/quote]

He was enough of an idiot as it was, so they didn't need to add it in. Plus, it shows how close he feels to her. Even if they're disgusted with the idea of marriage at the time, they're still very close. ;)
BrianGriffinFan

Pride Points: -2

Next

Return to The Lion King