Why don't they twitch their ears?

Why don't they twitch their ears?

Postby Simba_Lion » August 23rd, 2016, 6:02 pm

You might have noticed that lions (and other big cats) twitch their ears to get rid of the flies or when they're nervous.
But why do you think TLK lions don't do it? Did the animators forget about it? After all, they're animators and not zoolgists. :) Or did they deliberately omit it? What are your thoughts?
Simba_Lion

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Simba
Pride Points: 4

Re: Why don't they twitch their ears?

Postby Elton John » August 23rd, 2016, 6:40 pm

Probably because it wasn't important enough to be included, that and they aren't zooligists.

The Lion King franchise often plays fast and loose with real lion behavior. Most of the time I believe it is because certain aspects would get in the way of the stories they want to tell.
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Postby Amur_Tiger » August 24th, 2016, 12:49 am

By and large the TLK universe opts for a pretty sanitized version of Savannah life there's no ear flicks because there's no swarms of flies around lions as they eat, or for that matter many meaningful depictions of a kill for the lions to eat.
Amur_Tiger

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 9

Postby Captain Cupcake » August 24th, 2016, 4:30 am

They had it done at least once: https://youtu.be/GibiNy4d4gc?t=2m15s

:P
Captain Cupcake
Hnnng...

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

HNNNGGGG!!!

Nickname(s): Master
Pride Points: 11

Postby Simba_Lion » August 24th, 2016, 7:45 pm

[quote="Captain Cupcake"]They had it done at least once: https://youtu.be/GibiNy4d4gc?t=2m15s

:P[/quote]

Yes, but this is the only time. But at least we cannot say that it is completely forgotten.
Simba_Lion

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Simba
Pride Points: 4

Postby Tsuki » August 24th, 2016, 9:14 pm

Because TLK is a fly free philosophy?
[center]Image
Awards and Stuff: show
ImageImage
Shared with Rilliane
Sigs by Shadowfax, Nilla, Julie, Simba's Mate, Sophiecub, Tora, Flip and Buffy <333. Avatar by Kay <3
Tsuki

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 88

Postby fallen prince nuka » August 25th, 2016, 8:21 am

Personally, I assume they just did not have the time to focus on such a small detail. While I agree it would have been a nice touch, animating (especially when hand drawn) is a lot of hard work and it would be hard even for a team of professionals to add in such small details on a deadline.
Image ImageImageImage
fallen prince nuka
always tired.

Nickname(s): (call me Nuka)
Pride Points: 1

Postby Squeely » August 26th, 2016, 9:13 pm

It wasn't that important of a detail to add, and may have been distracting if done at the wrong time.
Ask me anything!#TeamFemale on the Gender Race

Squeely

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Sassy cub

Nickname(s): Debby, Debs, Deebee, Cap'n Squeels McDeebee
Telegram: @Squeely
Pride Points: 49

Postby Alexterri1 » August 27th, 2016, 3:34 pm

Because it wasn't an important detail and it would be difficult to animate
What is the difference between a cat and a comma? One has claws at the end of its paws, and the other is a pause at the end of a clause :D
Alexterri1
Queen of the Pridelands

We are One

Nickname(s): Alex
Pride Points: 6

Postby PrincessKiara » November 12th, 2016, 11:20 pm

I agree with what has already been said, otherwise I wanted to add that it`s not a twitch of the ear exactly, but adult Simba does turn his ear before turning his head when he hears Rafiki singing - I`ve always enjoyed that little detail, a realistic animal behaviour.
PrincessKiara
I`m no super genius. Or are I?

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Miles To Go Before I Sleep

Nickname(s): Solle
Pride Points: 40

Next

Return to The Lion King