Do you consider the musical canon?

Do you consider the musical canon?

Postby PrincessKiara » August 1st, 2016, 6:01 pm

Do you consider the musical of TLK to be canon?

I have seen it twice, and it`s absolutely amazing. I do however view it as a different interpretation of the story and the film. I don`t personally consider it canon - but I also think it`s up to each and every fan to decide what they think. So for example, in my mind, the idea that Scar tried to seduce Nala never happened because nothing like that is shown in the film, which means that almost everything that happened during Scars reign is up for interpretation. As is Simba`s cubhood and teen years in the jungle, nothing is shown of that period of his life in the film, unless you count TLK 3 (1 1/2) and I think many fans don`t view that as canon either.

What about other Disney musicals? Do you consider all of them canon, none of them, or a select few? Share your thoughts!
PrincessKiara
I`m no super genius. Or are I?

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Miles To Go Before I Sleep

Nickname(s): Solle
Pride Points: 40

Re: Do you consider the musical canon?

Postby Elton John » August 1st, 2016, 6:21 pm

TLK as a franchise has very little in the way of actual canon outside of the first movie. If you want the musical to be canon I say 'sure why not'.
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Postby TheLionPrince » August 1st, 2016, 6:38 pm

No, I don't consider the Broadway musical to be canon. It makes numerous changes to the narrative of the original film with one drastic decision to make Rafiki a female character which alone contradicts the film universe. And like you said, the "Madness of King Scar" never happened in the film; Nala, as she explained in the film, left "to find help". To me, it is an alternate interpretation that adapts the original film into making it a more human tale.
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Postby moonsugar33 » August 2nd, 2016, 1:23 am

Wasn't the dialogue for The Madness of King Scar recorded for the film, but then dropped?
moonsugar33

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 9

Postby TheLionPrince » August 2nd, 2016, 4:17 pm

[quote="moonsugar33"]Wasn't the dialogue for The Madness of King Scar recorded for the film, but then dropped?[/quote]

If you're referring to the deleted scene, then, yes.
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Postby zerodix » November 8th, 2016, 5:47 pm

nope, not canon... but i am going there over 1 hr!!
missing the old deviantart...
zerodix
The Lion King remake

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

july 19th 2019

Pride Points: 19

Return to Beyond The Lion King