When Nala says 'I thought you were very brave'...

When Nala says 'I thought you were very brave'...

Postby Elton John » June 7th, 2016, 1:19 am

... Was she being sincere or sarcastic? I think it could go either way...

Simba did take a big slice out of a hyena to buy her time to escape, and when the three hyenas were about to make a meal out of them simba planted himself in front of her, protecting her in the process. By doing this he put her safety first.

But nalas personality is a bit sassy and sarcastic, and she could have been sarcastic at his pitiful roar and how mufasa had to save the two.

Your thoughts?
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Re: When Nala says 'I thought you were very brave'...

Postby Captain Cupcake » June 7th, 2016, 1:49 am

She was being sincere. She was trying to make him feel better after Mufasa scolded him. The animation and delivery makes it pretty clear, and it's not really a situation where she could take a jab at Simba.
Captain Cupcake
Hnnng...

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

HNNNGGGG!!!

Nickname(s): Master
Pride Points: 11

Postby Elton John » June 7th, 2016, 1:53 am

[quote="Captain Cupcake"]She was being sincere. She was trying to make him feel better after Mufasa scolded him. The animation and delivery makes it pretty clear, and it's not really a situation where she could take a jab at Simba.[/quote]

Thank you. For the longest time I didn't know what she meant by it.
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Postby PrincessKiara » June 8th, 2016, 11:35 pm

It was without a doubt a sincere moment where Nala was offering comfort and support to Simba.
When I saw the musical version in London however, some people laughed when Nala said this line - and I couldn`t understand why. It`s not a comical moment, she doesn`t say it as a joke, and Nala is right, Simba was acting very brave - and foolhardy, but showing courage nonetheless.
PrincessKiara
I`m no super genius. Or are I?

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Miles To Go Before I Sleep

Nickname(s): Solle
Pride Points: 40

Postby Tsuki » June 11th, 2016, 10:23 am

When I was younger I thought she was being sarcastic I thought it was mean of her. Yeh kick him when he's down kind of thing. But now I do think she was being sincere :)
[center]Image
Awards and Stuff: show
ImageImage
Shared with Rilliane
Sigs by Shadowfax, Nilla, Julie, Simba's Mate, Sophiecub, Tora, Flip and Buffy <333. Avatar by Kay <3
Tsuki

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 88

Postby Carl » June 13th, 2016, 5:04 pm

I always took it as sincere, she looks sad when delivering the line, and the tone of the scene is very somber. For it to be sarcastic wouldn't really make much sense. I mean she was obviously frightened of the hyenas, and Simba tried to protect her from them.
Carl

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Welcome to Carlmunism.

Nickname(s): Just call me Carl Marx.
Pride Points: 269

Postby Squeely » June 14th, 2016, 7:26 am

It was definitely sincere. Sure, Nala is sarcastic and playful at times, but she's also smart enough to know when it would be inappropriate to do so. Simba slashed Shenzi's cheek and stood in front of Nala, ready to protect her, even though both of them knew that protection likely wouldn't last for long. Nala's gonna give credit where credit is due, and it's quite clear that Simba was very brave from her perspective.
Ask me anything!#TeamFemale on the Gender Race

Squeely

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Sassy cub

Nickname(s): Debby, Debs, Deebee, Cap'n Squeels McDeebee
Telegram: @Squeely
Pride Points: 49

Postby thechangingmyname » July 10th, 2016, 9:21 pm

As a lil kid, I thought she said it to reproach him for failing to live up to his earlier bravado. As an adult, it seems she was being sincere.
thechangingmyname

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 1

Postby PridelandsPhantom » July 12th, 2016, 6:58 am

Even when I first saw it when I was eight I knew she was trying to comfort her friend who was upset and sad about being scolded by his father. She's basically saying "Don't be upset, you're my friend and you were brave." She wasn't being sarcastic but trying to comfort Simba who feels he's let down Mufasa and is scared of the repercussions of what will happen.
Dog Mom to Misty, Sango, Tami, Abby, and Kawaii. :)
Three Angel Babies at the Rainbow Bridge: Mija, London, and Olga :cry:
PridelandsPhantom
Kion is My Waifu!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Disney Fan and Lioness at Heart

Nickname(s): Mako, Dog Mom, Alex, Jessi
Pride Points: 12

Postby Rachel-Lioness » July 15th, 2016, 4:09 pm

I think it's more sincere then sarcastic. Given her expression during that scene. Makes sense with how brave Simba was acting.
Signature made by Simbasmate. ;)
Rachel-Lioness
The Storm chasing queen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Hevi Kabisa!

Pride Points: 7

Next

Return to The Lion King