Top 5 favorite animated disney films?

Top 5 favorite animated disney films?

Postby Elton John » February 25th, 2016, 9:30 pm

They need to be in the wdas canon, so no direct to video sequels, pixar, or stuff like 'mars needs moms'.

Oh and give an explanation, brief or long as to why you chose that movie.

For number 1 I will go with 'the lion king'. As for why, many here will agree that almost everything about it is excellent. There are a few holes that are never explained, like who is nalas father or stuff like simba and nalas romance feeling a bit rushed. Those things are minor issues to me.

Number 2 is Aladdin. The soundtrack is great, aladdin is probably the most charismatic disney male lead and the genie is hilarious. It doesn't hit the same highs as 'the lion king' but it's still a very worthy movie.

Number 3 is tarzan. Like the above two, great soundtrack. It's an all around solid film that has very few lows... To me at least.

Number 4 was a harder choice but I went with 'the emporers new groove'. As a comedy it's great. It might just be the funniest disney animated film.

Number 5 is Fantasia. Like 1-3 it has a great soundtrack but it's just using classical and ballet music and creating animated stories around it. It is my favorite walt era disney film.

Outside of Tangled I haven't been super impressed by the current era of cgi disney films but i'm hoping that zootopia changes that a little.
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Re: Top 5 favorite animated disney films?

Postby Si-Amber » February 25th, 2016, 10:19 pm

1) The Lion King - Like obvs, I'm sure I don't need to explain this one.

2) Dumbo - When Dumbo is seperated from his mother, it's the one point in a Disney Classic that can make me well up. And he's just the cutest.

3) The Little Mermaid - Another classic I can watch over and over again. It has the catchiest songs and Ariel is my fave princess.

4) Robin Hood - Quite an under-rated classic. When my sister had this on VHS when we were kids, we would watch this at least once a month.

5) Tangled - The only 21st century Classic I own on DVD. Rapunzel is my second fave princess. I love that she's a bit more "kooky" han the average Disney princess.

Honourable mentions go to the other WDCs I own on DVD - Bambi, Pinocchio, Peter Pan, Fantasia, The Jungle Book and The Fox & The Hound.
Si-Amber

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 74

Postby FlipMode » February 26th, 2016, 12:17 pm

1) Hercules : I love this movie, James Woods as Hades was awesome. The soundtrack is amazing, Go The Distance is my go to song for inspiration. It's just an all around great movie.

2) Fox and the hound: I've talked about this movie so much that I'm sure everyone knows what I think of it. This one doesn't have as memorable a soundtrack which I think is honestly part of the reason people don't give it the love it deserves because this film is one of the most emotionally hard hitting films I've ever seen. I think I cried from the part where Copper goes to train as a hunting dog and then it just got worse from then on.

3) The Lion King: I mean I'm sure this will be in everyone's lists anyway and it's in mine for the same reasons.

4) Hunch Back Of Notre Dame: I actually can't really explain why I like this one so much because when I was a kid I didn't want to watch it (I thought the characters looked really odd) but watching it now It is fantastic. Again, a somewhat under rated one, although people that have seen it do love it, it's not advertised really within the parks and stuff. It did pick up some traction again in recent years, which I think may have been due to Kingdom Hearts (Frollo called Sora a gypsy, it was brilliant).

5) Frozen: Yes really. Frozen was so great because you just knew when you watched it that it was a Disney Classic in the making. This film has joined the likes of TLK, Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast etc as Disney classics that will continue to make money from their merchandise for years to come. I mean Disneyland just had its 60th anniversary and of all the things they could have done, one of the things was a live performance of Let It Go and with good reason, Frozen is incredibly popular partly because of its music. I mean it felt more like a musical than an actual Disney film but even so it's a damn fine one. And it's nice too see a Disney animated film today get the same amount of media and positive reviews and praise as films from the Renaissance era.
Last edited by FlipMode on March 7th, 2016, 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Postby Marizzle » February 26th, 2016, 5:10 pm

1. The Lion King - Check number 2. for the reasons, because they're the same, although TLK is slightly higher.

2. Frozen -
Breathtaking animation; Great characters, whose relationships brought something new to the screen - different from other movies, Elsa and Anna need one another, in a non-romantic way, which made it easier to relate to their actions/to them as one; Best soundtrack since TLK, in my opinion;

3. Tarzan - Just like the first two, this movie also has a great story line and soundtrack. Its characters are also quite interesting and the romantic relationship of Tarzan and Jane is quite unique.

4. Tangled - Apart from its soundtrack, which was great and brought an "old Disney magic" back, I believe Rapunzel brought something new to Disney with her arrival, by being a bit different from the previous Princesses. Not only were her looks great, but so was her personality, which actually fit her age. In a way, she was what allowed people to relate to Tangled, not only for her individual features, but also for her story.

At the moment, I'm incapable of choosing one movie to occupy the 5th place, which is tied between: Beauty and The Beast, Lilo & Stitch and Bolt. Although they are all completely different movies, I love them equally. All of them have great characters and story lines, together with good soundtracks.

I am currently looking forward to watch Zootopia and, based on trailers/posters/etc, I believe it will earn a place on my Top 5. If it does, I will edit this later.
Marizzle
Hope is the only thing

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Stronger than fear

Pride Points: 81

Postby UncoordinatedPisces » February 26th, 2016, 6:03 pm

1) The Lion King
This has to be my number one, and I think it has to be in Disney's overall top three, by far. It is absolutely outstanding, everything is so well done. You can tell a lot of love went into it. There are definitely flaws, but I think the good things are just too good.

2) Beauty and the Beast

I think this is Disney's perfect film. Animation is beautiful, songs are amazing, characters are well developed, story keeps you invested throughout.

3) Hunchback of Notre Dame
When I watched this for the first time in 2012, I was so shocked by how good it was that it prompted me to immediately message AdAstra, who I knew liked it, spouting my opinions and asking to do an RP. So glad I did otherwise I'd probably not have that friendship xD It is definitely one of Disney's darkest films, and I love that element. I really enjoyed the animation and setting, and the character development (especially for Quasi and Esmerelda) was interesting. I also like the fact that they did not get together at the end. The music is phenomenal, it really helps with telling the story. For such a hard book to adapt, this is an amazing film.

4) Aladdin/The Little Mermaid
I hope this isn't cheating! The reasons I like them both are the same; the soundtrack, the lead and the setting. It's so hard to pick between the two when there are so many good qualities about them both! Like, the song 'Prince Ali' is awesome, but 'Poor Unfortunate Souls' has to be one of the best villain songs ever.

5) 101 Dalmatians
I think we all have that one nostalgic one. For me, its 101 Dalmatians. It was my first Disney film ever, and as a kid I used to absolutely love all the puppies (I was a huge dog person) and I was terrified of Cruella De Vil. Watching it as an adult, I can appreciate the style of animation and the character design, while enjoying the story in general.
UncoordinatedPisces
just an oddball

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I'm getting there, one clumsy step at a time

Nickname(s): Amy
Pride Points: 149

Postby Rollo » February 26th, 2016, 6:20 pm

Last edited by Rollo on February 27th, 2020, 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rollo

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 29

Postby Shadowfax » February 26th, 2016, 8:40 pm

1) Top spot goes to The Lion king. It's amazing and it has and always will be my favourite Disney.

2) Beauty and the beast. Again, as a kid I loved this movie and I remember going to see it at the cinema with my dad when I was six ^^

3) Tarzan. This has recently gone up to my top five disney films list. I love the animation and 'You'll be in my heart' is mine and my late horses song.

4) Mulan. I saw Mulan about eight years ago and absolutely loved it. Such awesome animation, songs and characters. Mushu!

5) Aladdin. I've always loved this movie and it's songs are amazing. <3 plus, Robin Williams as the genie is just perfect x)
Shadowfax
Never give up;

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

And good luck will find you.

Pride Points: 182

Postby ScarHades » February 27th, 2016, 10:14 am

My favourite is Toy Story, but excluding that as you say Elton John, my top 5 are:

1 The Lion King
2 Mulan
3 Robin Hood
4 Dumbo
5 Aladdin
ScarHades

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Rors
Pride Points: 3

Postby Claws » March 1st, 2016, 1:25 am

This is not okay, too little spots too many great movies D:

1. The Lion King (Obviously, this movie means so much for me even today)

2. The Fox and The Hound (This movie was one of my favourites during my childhood, just along with the number 3 of my top I would never stop watching them in the VHS)

3. Oliver & Co

4. UP (This movie OMG, this was I think the best Disney movie after Lion King, I mean it can make you get teary eyes in just a couple minutes, just wow! and Doug is like the cutest dog ever hahaha I must admit I laughed a lot with the annoying kid, and was moved a lot by the old man's story)

5. Brother Bear (It was this movie that really made me get here, it was the fact that I liked this movie so much that made me like animation again, and made me regain my obsession for TLK and that made me get here, so yeah, it deserved a spot here.

I'd say honorable mentions are Emperor's New Groove, Zootopia, Robin Hood, Jungle book and basically all movies with talkin animals, xD
Claws
Imitation of Life

Nickname(s): Tico
Pride Points: 6

Postby KentuckyWildcat » March 7th, 2016, 9:57 pm

1. The Lion King
This shouldn't be a huge surprise given what forum we're on, but this is truly a timeless film. The story with it's themes of loss, growing up and finding oneself, and facing difficult responsibilities is universally relatable without ever seeming trite. Scar is one of the best villains in Disney history. Even though I honestly don't usually care much about the songs in Disney films, every one featured here is an indisputable classic. Truly a movie worthy of the acclaim it's received ever since its release.

2. Wreck-It-Ralph
I admit to being predisposed towards this one since I've been a gamer for many years, but I truly do think it's an underrated work. All the game-related humor is a home run for me, the general premise is quite original, and the quality of the animation and world building is outstanding. There's a surprisingly sweet story about the longing for validation and overcoming rejection as well. A few too many poop jokes are really all that keeps it from achieving an even higher status for me.

3. Frozen
Yes, in this modern age of social media and merchandising literally everything it ultimately suffered a bit from overexposure. That doesn't mean that it isn't a fantastic movie though. The animation is beautiful, the characters are memorable, and there's a nice balance between humor and seriousness. I also find it quite ingenuous how the plot subverts the tropes of past Disney films without ever coming as trying too hard.

4. The Jungle Book
I watched this countless times when I was a kid. It might not be quite as deep as some other movies, but it still stands the test of time as a vibrant, fun adventure with a lovable cast. "The Bare Necessities" and "I Wan'na Be Like You" are among the catchiest songs ever featured in a Disney soundtrack.

5. Mulan
Another movie that I think is too often overlooked. It's one of the few Disney films (The Lion King being the other primary example) that manages to be truly epic in scope. It also features a rich story that tackles some pretty deep themes.
Come death. Come suffering. I will not live in fear. In this fleeting life where time escapes us, the path of least resistance is a slow quiet death. I'd rather burn out than fade away.
KentuckyWildcat
Mother don't you cry

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Hell don't need me

Pride Points: 7

Next

Return to The Den