What would you choose for a modern TLK addition?

What would you choose for a modern TLK addition?

Postby Kion » January 17th, 2016, 2:12 pm

If not The Lion Guard, what do you think would have made a great modern addition to TLK franchise, to bring it into the present day?

Some people say a movie based on Mufasa and Scar growing up.

I personally think a Tim Burton movie based on The Elephant Graveyard would have been beyond cool! Because of the surreal/ abstract/ dark nature of The Elephant Graveyard, I think this would have been an amazing scene for a movie all by itself. (Imagine Johnny Depp voicing a character and it hitting the cinemas)

Possibly including a rogue male lion or something who wanted to run the hyenas off and start a pride of his own, in order to take over the out-lands and become a rival pride to Simba's.

:evilplan:
Kion

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Hevi Kabisa

Nickname(s): Sam
Pride Points: 3

Re: What would you choose for a modern TLK addition?

Postby Captain Cupcake » January 17th, 2016, 3:48 pm

If Disney still had confidence in hand-drawn animated theatrical features, I would've liked to see a new major installment of the franchise. I'm not really into the concept of a Mufasa and Scar prequel, considering the utter lack of tension and inevitably predictable material (adolescent angst, favouritism, strained relationships between the parents and Scar, etc.) behind it all, rendering it as a very pointless story to pursue for a full-length movie. However, something that revolves around the same basic concept of lion rulers could be tackled with an entirely new cast, with the story taking place in a different region of Africa. That or have it be a surprise prequel, where it's seemingly like the previous idea, but everything would ultimately build up to the establishment of the kingdom we see in the original movie.
Captain Cupcake
Hnnng...

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

HNNNGGGG!!!

Nickname(s): Master
Pride Points: 11

Postby TheLionPrince » January 21st, 2016, 4:27 pm

Unlike Captain Cupcake, a prequel about Scar and Mufasa could be a good basis for a feature film. While some themes in a prequel film about Scar and Mufasa will come very familiar, at least, it could put to rest who is Nala's father and perhaps deepen the mythos and history that occurred in the Pride Lands. A big problem with prequels is that you already know the end result as featured in the original film, so a lack of tension, suspension, and element of surprise in the climax would be present and probably come off uncompelling to viewers and fans. Some of the best films ever made have endings you never see coming, but does that guarantee it will make or break a movie? Only good, strong writing can determine that. Also, other problems with prequels is that they tend to contradict story and character continuity and don't live up to the artistic excellence of the original (i.e. The Hobbit trilogy, the Star Wars prequel trilogy, etc.) But once again, only good filmmaking can determine that.

To be fair to the Captain, his idea of a Lion King: Origins film is a superb idea and I conceived a similar idea almost three years ago. If I could add anything to the franchise, it would be a spin-off film of Scar that would cover his childhood, how he got his scar, how he met the hyenas, what happened during his reign, and how he met Zira and the Outsiders.
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Postby Elton John » January 21st, 2016, 5:28 pm

Take basic ideas from the lion guard, get rid of the mark on the shoulders, no super power roar for kion but he's rather strong for a cub. Make the main antagonist Nalas father. Kovu and kiara and vitani are adults.

I want him to have a backstory where he was banished from the pridelands. He's old now but he's strong, resourceful and is solid snake levels of stealthy. He doesn't want to be king, he wants revenge and is slowly killing off all the animals in the pride lands. He knows he can't kill Simba in a straight up fight (let alone the other lions as well.) so his plan is to make sure that they slowly have less and less food, weakening them.

Kion discovers him killing herds of animals. He tells his father and Simba believes him. By this time so many animals have been killed that the pride begins to starve, forcing Simba to make sure the young cubs of the pride get food first leaving the adults scraps...

I would have the guard be like in the tv series. Except i'd make Bunga not be annoying.

Nalas father attacks the pride... Kion and the other cubs are forced to hide. The pride wins the fight but is in near shambles. Kion is the only lion with any strength left, the other cubs are not nearly as strong as him. He's a cub with higher than average strength/stamina/agilty and speed.

Nalas father goes for a second attack, ready to kill. By themselves the five can't beat him but by working together they are able to fight him off. Nalas father survives but barely.

I might be speaking blasphemy but there would be no traditional musical numbers. I would have the musical score done by david wise (donkey kong country) and yoko shimomura (kingdom hearts) as I don't think hans zimmer has it in him to do a good tlk score again and

I know those two are unusual choices but so was elton john / hans zimmer / tim rice for the original!
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Postby Captain Cupcake » January 22nd, 2016, 7:10 am

[quote="TheLionPrince"]Unlike Captain Cupcake, a prequel about Scar and Mufasa could be a good basis for a feature film. While some themes in a prequel film about Scar and Mufasa will come very familiar, at least, it could put to rest who is Nala's father and perhaps deepen the mythos and history that occurred in the Pride Lands. A big problem with prequels is that you already know the end result as featured in the original film, so a lack of tension, suspension, and element of surprise in the climax would be present and probably come off uncompelling to viewers and fans. Some of the best films ever made have endings you never see coming, but does that guarantee it will make or break a movie? Only good, strong writing can determine that. Also, other problems with prequels is that they tend to contradict story and character continuity and don't live up to the artistic excellence of the original (i.e. The Hobbit trilogy, the Star Wars prequel trilogy, etc.) But once again, only good filmmaking can determine that. [/quote]

Perhaps they could showcase such a past by having the main story revolve around a particular new threat/conflict in the present time, but everything about it is related to the history behind the late Mufasa, Scar, and their parents. That way, flashbacks could tell the tale of their youth/adolescence with the sole focus being the reveal of certain pivotal information that is related to the aforementioned new threat/conflict, and the two brothers' life stories are extra icing on the cake instead of being their own stand alone story.

[quote="Elton John"]I might be speaking blasphemy but there would be no traditional musical numbers. I would have the musical score done by david wise (donkey kong country) and yoko shimomura (kingdom hearts) as I don't think hans zimmer has it in him to do a good tlk score again and

I know those two are unusual choices but so was elton john / hans zimmer / tim rice for the original![/quote]

Game composers are a little tricky. Film scoring is sort of a whole different process compared to game scoring, given how everything is composed to match the visuals and it's all about arranging various motifs and pieces together into a bunch of cues that support the narrative. Shimomura knows how to compose thematically complex game scores, but it's still a tiny bit different than how movie music is done. Heck, the most movie-esque pieces and lengthy music suites in KH weren't even done by Shimomura, but by Kaoru Wada, who had experience with television scores.

Also, as much as dislike Hans Zimmer's current minimalist style of film scoring, he still often returns to a more traditional and melodic style when he does animated features. Usually he co-composes them with someone else (such as John Powell or Lorne Balfe), but he still plays an integral part in all of that. If he were to revisit The Lion King, I imagine he'd actively try to stick to the motifs and style established in the original film instead of suddenly turning the score into something akin to his works for Nolan movies and such.
Captain Cupcake
Hnnng...

HNNNGGGG!!!

Nickname(s): Master
Pride Points: 11

Postby SimbasGuard » January 23rd, 2016, 7:30 am

All I would want, would be what I though The Lion Guard was originally going to be. A installment to the franchise set After Lion King 2: I believe Kovu and Kiara would have a male and female cub. I'd like Vitani to find love. There would have to be a threat from a group of rogue males, Simba and Kovu would be outnumbered in any confrontation. Unfortunately I have not given any real thought to story. Which is the most important detail, also whatever happens, Simba And Nala had better not die.
My Avatar Was Made For Me By Thegeni99 Thank You So Much!

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride.
SimbasGuard
Guardian of the Pride Lands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride

Nickname(s): Anyone may shorten my name however they want.
Pride Points: 85

Postby Kiana » January 24th, 2016, 3:03 pm

I would like too see maybe a new story, taking place way after kiara and kovu's reign

Huge thank you to Carl Skywalker for this amazing signature! And all rights go to him for the buttons

ImageImageImage
Kiana
I Don't Need an Avatar

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I AM the Avatar

Telegram: @Miluca24
Pride Points: 19

Postby DGFone » January 25th, 2016, 9:01 am

I would love to see how Timon and Pumbaa managed to get Simba out of his depression. This is something that was skipped over with Hakuna Matata, and was briefly expanded upon in the musical, but it still wasn't fully explored yet.
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby TheLionPrince » January 26th, 2016, 6:40 pm

[quote="DGFone"]I would love to see how Timon and Pumbaa managed to get Simba out of his depression. This is something that was skipped over with Hakuna Matata, and was briefly expanded upon in the musical, but it still wasn't fully explored yet.[/quote]

I don't think Simba ever got over his depression at least until he realized he didn't do it. Hakuna Matata provided a gateway to ignore and forget his depression at times, but it never actually cured it. He still showed a depressed state of mind whenever he was reminded of Mufasa, though he didn't show it before Nala, Timon, and Pumbaa instead leaving them behind to sulk elsewhere.
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Postby zerodix » September 21st, 2016, 1:41 pm

i once had this idea like talespin but with tlk characters. simba nala and several new cubs as anthros, in a highschool setting in the jungle. they have lessons from timon and pumbaa, the principle is mufasa and the mean teacher who doesnt care is scar. zazu of course as counselor. and the hyenas as the though bullies.
missing the old deviantart...
zerodix
The Lion King remake

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

july 19th 2019

Pride Points: 19

Next

Return to Beyond The Lion King