who do u like better

Pumbaa
45%
Timon
55%

Total votes : 29

Re: Pumbaa or Timon---who doo u prefer?

Postby Elton John » June 1st, 2015, 7:05 am

I like Timon the most. While he's a sarcastic jerk, he still has a heart of gold and he has the funniest lines in the films.

That being said I don't think Timon would work as a character without Pumbaa as a foil.
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Postby Adofo » June 3rd, 2015, 7:05 am

Pumbaa just because he's not a know it all
Whether man or animal, everything is connected in the great circle of life, so we are all one!
Youtube Channel | My Game List | DeviantArt
Video Game Usernames: show
If you add me on any of these, PM me on MLK first so I know who you are. If you don't, I will delete it.
Adofo
Brother of Simba

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Son Of Mufasa and Sarabi

Nickname(s): Dofo, Dr. Cody, Dr. Dofo
Pride Points: 53

Postby Timon the great » June 20th, 2015, 11:19 pm

[quote="Elton John"]That being said I don't think Timon would work as a character without Pumbaa as a foil.[/quote]
I really see that the opposite of that is true. To be very honest, much if not all of Pumbaa's power is actually dependant on Timon. If he wasn't tied to him story-wise in Lion King 1, Pumbaa would pretty much be powerless as a character (no offense to any Pumbaa only fans that may be out there).

The reason why most people prefer Timon and Pumbaa as a duo instead of seeing them as two separate characters is because of what the Disney company emphasized back in the very beginning when the first LK film came out. Had it not been that way, it could've Easily turned out to be the opposite with these two (at least for Timon), when most people see them. And one of my Timon friends agree with me that he easily could've also been seen as a single character from the very beginning.

You also still have to consider who Timon is from Lion King 1 1/2 since it's official material. Even if they're not very deeply developed, we still have scenes where he's completely on his own and has a single identity on the film, where he even speaks and thinks independently for himself.

To me, the idea of "Timon and Pumbaa" restricts Timon's character, because you don't see Timon able to "breathe" as much on the first two LK films, compared to himself from 1 1/2.
"I found a place that was beyond my wildest dreams. But..., it still wasn't home." - Timon; Lion King 1 1/2 (3)

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Timon L. Berkowitz

Pride Points: 29

Postby Elton John » June 20th, 2015, 11:41 pm

To me they work well together. Pumbaa is the one who has good ideas or profound thoughts. He was the first to realize that raising Simba as a cub would be a good thing, what stars are made of, etc. Timon is the one who gets things done, and is a bit more smart.

I think that they work well together, and I also agree with you on Timon working the best as his own character.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Timon the great » June 21st, 2015, 5:44 am

^So, if I'm understanding correctly with what you wrote above, you're agreeing with me that Timon also works as an independent character or protagonist like on LK 1 1/2?
"I found a place that was beyond my wildest dreams. But..., it still wasn't home." - Timon; Lion King 1 1/2 (3)

Timon L. Berkowitz

Postby Elton John » June 21st, 2015, 5:59 am

Yes.

I've mentioned before that as far as comic relief characters go I like timon and pumbaa and think they are necessary to the story in the lion king 1. That without them Simba probably would have died in the desert, and if he survived the desert the overwelming amount of guilt would make him a very different character. I also actually find timon to be funny which is another stark contrast to most comic relief characters in movies or tv shows.

I also think Timon would have worked on his own but that as a duo, timon and pumbaa are the near perfect comic relief characters as they aren't two dimensional beings just there to wisecrack and tell fart jokes.
Elton John
I’m with you

Postby Timon the great » June 21st, 2015, 8:35 am

I understand what you mean that Timon and Pumbaa are important to story of the first film because of Simba. But just to make sure we're exactly on the same page, when I asked if you agreed with me that Timon also works as an independant character, I meant completely as a single character or without Pumbaa in any way.

Yeah, this LK meerkat person is definitely funny and a character himself who always wonders why he has issues. Image

I usually never write about such things about Timon on here often because it's something that people know about him very easy. His funny side, I mean. But even this was uniquely explored more on Lion King 1 1/2 (where he even talks directly to us, viewers, on the original or non-movie theater parts), which I see is also the most meaningful for him.

You can relate things like this in life to who Timon is from this film as its protagonist, the most out of all other media about him. To me, aside from his exceptionally humanized appearance here, and in comparison to Pumbaa, this just makes Timon so much more appealing as a single main film hero.

Timon L. Berkowitz

Postby tigerlover » December 3rd, 2015, 3:13 am

Timon.
tigerlover
Tigress

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Tiger
Pride Points: 3

Postby Squeely » December 17th, 2015, 11:13 am

Gotta go with Pumbaa. I'm chubby and I fart a lot, so I relate to him xD And he's such a cute lovable pig-puppy at times.
Ask me anything!#TeamFemale on the Gender Race

Squeely

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Sassy cub

Nickname(s): Debby, Debs, Deebee, Cap'n Squeels McDeebee
Telegram: @Squeely
Pride Points: 49

Postby Kion » December 17th, 2015, 3:06 pm

I find them both adorable. Timon slightly edges it for me. Have heard that Pumbaa was very popular in Italy.

Also, I kinda see Timon and Pumbaa as a couple, especially now they are Uncles to Bunga. Probably platonic but I find them to be emotionally involved and very much a strong unit. I don't think that was the intention with the first movie, I think they were buddies/bros, but now I kinda see that it might be something a bit deeper.

They come as a 2 piece. Vital to the story and Simba was lucky that they found him - imagine it had been another pride of lions or hyenas, vultures (as we saw nearly happened). He'd have been in big trouble. They raised him into adulthood.
Kion

Hevi Kabisa

Nickname(s): Sam
Pride Points: 3

PreviousNext

Return to Beyond The Lion King