Is Nala underused?

Is Nala underused?

Postby BrianGriffinFan » December 15th, 2015, 9:41 am

I feel like Nala gets very little focus for the role she plays. She doesn't come across as a well-rounded character, and ultimately doesn't end up having a lot more to do than the other female players in the movie. Does anyone know why this was? Could they just not find any standing-out characteristics to give her?
BrianGriffinFan

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: -2

Re: Is Nala underused?

Postby Elton John » December 15th, 2015, 11:52 am

The focus of the movie was on simba, and him dealing with his fathers death. While it would have been nice to have a few more nala centric scenes there's only so much story you can fit in an hour and half which is the normal time a disney animated feature film was (and usually still is).

There's a deleted scene where, to put it lightly, scar sexually harasses nala. It's fairly obvious as to why they never included the scene in the film.
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Postby BrianGriffinFan » December 15th, 2015, 2:44 pm

I know the focus is on Simba, but my point was that she's got less focus than Scar, Timon and Pumbaa, and is never really given any negative traits. I would have liked all other characters to be used more, especially Banzai and Shenzi, but I can understand why they aren't. Nala, however, stands out pretty glaringly for being something of a Mary Sue.

Anyways, sorry I wasn't more clear.
BrianGriffinFan

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Elton John » December 15th, 2015, 3:14 pm

Having no negative traits doesn't make someone a mary sue.... Being perfect in every single way and having no negative traits aren't the same thing.

giving her a negative trait for the sake of it woud be even worse than being a 'so-called mary sue'
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Postby SimbasGuard » December 16th, 2015, 2:04 am

Nala is underused, but as Elton John says that is because it is Simba's story, and due to time constraints. Something I have notices, is that what Nala does say and do speaks volumes.
My Avatar Was Made For Me By Thegeni99 Thank You So Much!

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride.
SimbasGuard
Guardian of the Pride Lands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride

Nickname(s): Anyone may shorten my name however they want.
Pride Points: 85

Postby Squeely » December 16th, 2015, 10:26 am

She's not that underused in the first movie. Her role is very pivotal, and I bet if you counted up the screentime of Nala vs other non-Simba characters, she'd roughly tie with them. I wouldn't write her off as a Mary Sue, either. The opportunity for Nala's flaws to show simply doesn't present itself in the situations the story puts her in, unfortunately.

Now when it comes to sequels and other media outside of the first TLK, heck yeah is Nala underused! And it's a dang shame, too. I would have loved it if SP had delved into Kiara and Nala's mother-daughter relationship more, as it would have made for a great contrast to the first film's father-son bond, but alas. It sort of feels like writers couldn't figure out what to do with her character, so they kept her out of things for the most part. Thankfully, the TLG writers are at least trying to keep her included.
Ask me anything!#TeamFemale on the Gender Race

Squeely

Sassy cub

Nickname(s): Debby, Debs, Deebee, Cap'n Squeels McDeebee
Telegram: @Squeely
Pride Points: 49

Postby BrianGriffinFan » December 17th, 2015, 12:29 am

[quote="Squeely"]She's not that underused in the first movie. Her role is very pivotal, and I bet if you counted up the screentime of Nala vs other non-Simba characters, she'd roughly tie with them. I wouldn't write her off as a Mary Sue, either. The opportunity for Nala's flaws to show simply doesn't present itself in the situations the story puts her in, unfortunately.

Now when it comes to sequels and other media outside of the first TLK, heck yeah is Nala underused! And it's a dang shame, too. I would have loved it if SP had delved into Kiara and Nala's mother-daughter relationship more, as it would have made for a great contrast to the first film's father-son bond, but alas. It sort of feels like writers couldn't figure out what to do with her character, so they kept her out of things for the most part. Thankfully, the TLG writers are at least trying to keep her included.[/quote]

Well she has about ten minutes of screen time as a cub, and then disapears for a large chunk of the film, and she has a smaller part in the climax than most other characters, but yes, she does do important stuff.
BrianGriffinFan

Postby juhouh » December 17th, 2015, 1:17 am

She's underused. Instead they ended up using half of the movie time on dumb Timon and Pumbaa crap
Ask me - My Playlist - Steam
"Never trust the future, Never miss the past, If you live for the shining moment, The moment may just last…"
Signature by SimbasMate
juhouh
Nalaholic

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Juho
Pride Points: 46

Postby SimbasMate » December 17th, 2015, 3:41 am

If anyone was underused it should have been Timon.
[quote="Amanda"]And just like that she vanished, like a fart in the wind.
[/quote]
sig by Regulus
SimbasMate
Queen of Hell

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

BB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/mes

Nickname(s): SM/Crystal
Telegram: @CatOverlord
Pride Points: 161

Postby Kina » July 25th, 2017, 2:19 pm

I would have personally loved to see Nala get more screen time, honestly, especially considering the fact she's considered a pivotal character yet gets so little of it - more than Sarabi and Sarafina, granted, but sadly we're left to fanfiction to see a broader scope of her character. Timon and Pumbaa mostly existed for comic relief and as a plot device to keep Simba removed from the Pridelands, and, honestly, the movie could have easily existed without them. It just would have had a darker tone.
Kina

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Kina, lioness of the dusk.

Nickname(s): Moonlight
Pride Points: 9

Next

Return to The Lion King