Off Topic Writing Contest Revival?

Hi! Welcome to the Feedback forum.
Before reading anything or asking anything; please check out the FAQs. Your question might be in there. However if you want a better understanding after reading the FAQs, like if it didn't explain it good enough, then by all means ask your question.

Please read the following before posting in this forum...

In this forum you will see an Announcement, and several "sticky" topics. The announcement is the Universal Board Rules. If you are new, read this before doing anything else! The sticky topics will stay above and separated from normal user-made topics in the forum. This is because they outline important information about the board. If you see a sticky topic concerning your issue, please reply with your question or concern in the correct topic. Moderators will see your reply within these topics. Before asking your question, be sure to read the topic and its first page especially. It contains information about your issue that is valuable and may even answer your questions. If the topic does not answer your question, ask your question within the topic, not the forum. If no sticky topic concerns your issue, then you are welcome to ask your own questions by creating a new topic within the forum.

Thank you for keeping the Board Help forum organized!

Off Topic Writing Contest Revival?

Postby Carl » July 6th, 2015, 6:18 pm

Back in 2012 or so we briefly had an off topic writing contest, kind of like the on topic one. It died out pretty quickly, unfortunately, and well, I've noticed that many active members aren't as interested in TLK as they used to be. So I was thinking, what if I were to revive the off-topic writing contest? It would be similar to the TLK Writing Contest, in the set-up and word count and suchlike but you could write about anything you'd like.

I was thinking that it would be without prompts, but I might put in some very vague ones to help people along. Entries wouldn't have to be fan fictions, they could be totally original, or they could be fics about anything except TLK. I mean we have a different contest for TLK fics, right? ;) So I was thinking if I got enough interest I'd get it going.

If we want winnerbars, I'll need a volunteer to make those.

Any thoughts, suggestions, interest in general? :3
Carl

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Welcome to Carlmunism.

Nickname(s): Just call me Carl Marx.
Pride Points: 269

Re: Off Topic Writing Contest Revival?

Postby Elton John » July 6th, 2015, 6:42 pm

I would but I wrote a fic many months ago and have yet to get a response to it... Kind of killed all interest I have in writing fanfiction...
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Postby Gemini » July 6th, 2015, 6:46 pm

I might be interested in doing something like this, provided I can get the inspiration to do some writing again. It's been a long while, especially in regards to off-topic stuff.

I've never made winnerbars before, but if nobody else volunteers, maybe I could get onboard for that? :highfive:
Ask Me Stuff | FFnet | Video Q&A Session | About My Webcomic | Commission Me (dA)
"A lion may be stronger, but a wolf doesn't jump through hoops."
Pic (c) BlazingBlackMage
Gemini
The maverick

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Don't look back

Nickname(s): Twin, Janna
Telegram: @maverickmule
Pride Points: 107

Postby Carl » July 6th, 2015, 7:03 pm

[quote="Elton John"]I would but I wrote a fic many months ago and have yet to get a response to it... Kind of killed all interest I have in writing fanfiction...[/quote]
I know what you mean, but it likely doesn't mean no one liked the fic, many people just don't comment on things. I, for one, didn't notice a fic from you (if it was posted here?) I've been pretty busy lately and miss stuff. And, as I said, it wouldn't have to be fanfiction, if you wanted to write something original. Also, you wouldn't have to submit stories if you really don't want to, you could help the revival a lot by reading and voting!

[quote="GeminiGemelo"]I might be interested in doing something like this, provided I can get the inspiration to do some writing again. It's been a long while, especially in regards to off-topic stuff.

I've never made winnerbars before, but if nobody else volunteers, maybe I could get onboard for that? :highfive:[/quote]
Cool! Winnerbars aren't that difficult to make for the most part it's just remembering to do it and send it to the person, having a moment to sit down and do it. I'd really appreciate if you could do it!
Carl

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Welcome to Carlmunism.

Postby it means no worries » July 6th, 2015, 7:26 pm

I'd love to give this a go :)
it means no worries

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 63

Postby Gemini » July 7th, 2015, 1:07 am

[quote="Julie Skywalker"]

Cool! Winnerbars aren't that difficult to make for the most part it's just remembering to do it and send it to the person, having a moment to sit down and do it. I'd really appreciate if you could do it![/quote]

Welp, I can try. Don't see why not. xD When would the first contest be?
Ask Me Stuff | FFnet | Video Q&A Session | About My Webcomic | Commission Me (dA)
"A lion may be stronger, but a wolf doesn't jump through hoops."
Pic (c) BlazingBlackMage
Gemini
The maverick

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Don't look back

Nickname(s): Twin, Janna
Telegram: @maverickmule
Pride Points: 107

Postby Carl » July 7th, 2015, 1:12 am

I think I'll start the contests on roughly the first of a month, maybe earlier this time, depending on how much interest is generated. Then I might leave submissions open for about 2 weeks, voting open for 2-3 weeks, then announce the winner when I announce the next contest, since we'll be going without prompts for the winner to have to submit.
Carl

Welcome to Carlmunism.

Postby Ninaroja » July 7th, 2015, 1:24 am

I'd like to try and enter something like this - its been a bloody age since I wrote anything original (I've been pretty much exclusively fanfic-ing for the last 4 or 5 years) :)
Signature Graphic made by Simbasmate! Thanks a ton :cheese:

Fanfiction Q&A Tumblr
Ninaroja
Nee-nyah Row-hah (AKA KULCY)

Simba is Love. Simba is Life.

Nickname(s): Kulcy, Lucy, Nina, Juicy, MLK Drama Detective ;)
Pride Points: 82

Postby Carl » July 7th, 2015, 1:29 am

Great! If we get enough interest and it runs smoothly a couple of times, I'll talk to Moka and see if we can get a specific section in the OT Literature board for it like the on topic contest has.
Carl

Welcome to Carlmunism.

Postby Queen Elsa » July 7th, 2015, 1:33 am

Count me in. :D I'd love to be in this kind of contest . :)
Signature made by Marizzle.

I'm feeling...
ImageImageImage
Queen Elsa
You've lost everything

Your father, your tribe, your best friend

Nickname(s): Elsa, NKL, NalaKiaraLuver, QE, QI, Bulma
Pride Points: 57

Next

Return to Feedback & How-To