Poll ended at March 23rd, 2015, 12:58 pm

Lion king
91%
Frozen
9%

Total votes : 34

Re: LION KING Or FROZEN

Postby TheLionPrince » September 19th, 2014, 6:32 pm

[quote="Julie Skywalker"](BTW, there is even a gay couple in the movie.)[/quote]

If you're referring to the family at Oaken's sauna shop, the adults are clearly not two males. The character on the right is clearly a woman being shorter than the blonde-headed father and wearing a towel around her chest like most women do. Not to mention, her hair is just trimmed short that makes her appear like a male.
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Postby Carl » September 19th, 2014, 7:38 pm

I read that the makers confirmed that the father was intended to be with Oaken. Which fits since the other characters all look younger than him.
Carl

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Welcome to Carlmunism.

Nickname(s): Just call me Carl Marx.
Pride Points: 269

Postby SimbasGuard » September 19th, 2014, 7:48 pm

A Brother, Brother In-Law, or Cousin is just as much a relative as any other relation. It still qualifies as a family. Oaken's children could be in the sauna with their aunt and uncle, or any other possible relation as well.
My Avatar Was Made For Me By Thegeni99 Thank You So Much!

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride.
SimbasGuard
Guardian of the Pride Lands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride

Nickname(s): Anyone may shorten my name however they want.
Pride Points: 85

Postby Carl » September 19th, 2014, 7:54 pm

[quote="Julie Skywalker"]I read that the makers confirmed that the father was intended to be with Oaken. Which fits since the other characters all look younger than him.[/quote]
Yes, if it's just an ambiguous relative, brother, cousin, or brother-in-law are equally likely. But when there have been hints/confirmation from the filmmakers it is a bit more certain. Now then, if you'll excuse me, I'm not going to continue derailing this thread.

Whether you want to believe he is gay or not, that is a valid interpretation of the scene and my point about it being part of the film's popularity because of that is still relevant. Many people have intrepreted it as such and that is a factor in it being a big deal, mere opinion or no.
Carl

Welcome to Carlmunism.

Nickname(s): Just call me Carl Marx.
Pride Points: 269

Postby SimbasGuard » September 19th, 2014, 9:24 pm

[quote="Julie Skywalker"]Yes, if it's just an ambiguous relative, brother, cousin, or brother-in-law are equally likely. But when there have been hints/confirmation from the filmmakers it is a bit more certain. Now then, if you'll excuse me, I'm not going to continue derailing this thread.

Whether you want to believe he is gay or not, that is a valid interpretation of the scene and my point about it being part of the film's popularity because of that is still relevant. Many people have intrepreted it as such and that is a factor in it being a big deal, mere opinion or no.[/quote]

All I was saying is that it is still a matter of opinion as you yourself stated. Just as my thought on the matter are also just a matter of opinion.
My Avatar Was Made For Me By Thegeni99 Thank You So Much!

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride.
SimbasGuard
Guardian of the Pride Lands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride

Nickname(s): Anyone may shorten my name however they want.
Pride Points: 85

Postby PrincessKiara » October 28th, 2014, 10:10 pm

This question may have been better asked at a general Disney forum rather than one that deals with The Lion King. ;)

I voted for TLK. Because it`s amazing and in my mind nothing will ever top it.

Do I like Frozen? No. I LOVE IT!! I can easily add it to my list of top 10 Disney films.
I saw the Norwegian dubbed version at the cinema and about a week later they showed the English version. I really enjoyed Frozen from the start, I loved how the focus was on the sibling relationship rather than falling in love... (this was of course also an important part, but dealt with in a refreshing way) I thought the animation was breathtaking, and the music was wonderful. Certainly different than the beautiful orchestra pieces we`re used to from more classic films, and with the excpetion of "In Summer" I think Frozen has a great soundtrack.
On top of this, the setting of the film is based on Norway, my home country!! The excitement I felt when sitting in the theatre watching it for the first time is hard to describe. There are so many references to Norwegian/Scandinavian history, language, architecture, culture and nature that I couldn`t help not falling in love with this film.

I felt the characters are complex and engaging, I could relate to both Elsa and Anna in different ways, and I absolutely adore Olaf. He`s one of the very few comic relief characters that are never annoying or selfish, he`s just sweet, kind and really funny.

I know many people think it`s overrated and many people don`t like it, this is how it will always be, we`re all different, and that`s good!

To compare Frozen with other recent Disney films, I prefer it over Tangled, Wreck-It-Ralph, Princess and the Frog (Love, love Tiana though!) and Bolt.. I really, really enjoyed Toy Story 3 and Brave as well, but I prefer Frozen over these two also, if just slightly. ;)
PrincessKiara
I`m no super genius. Or are I?

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Miles To Go Before I Sleep

Nickname(s): Solle
Pride Points: 40

Postby InsaneSeagull » November 23rd, 2014, 9:47 pm

I was never especially fond of Frozen.

So, TLK wins by far.
InsaneSeagull
Asante sana!

Squash banana!

Nickname(s): Kiki, Sponge Bob
Pride Points: 105

Postby TheBlackCatCrossing » December 8th, 2014, 7:24 am

I thought Frozen was grossly overrated. Julie, you made some very good points. The thing is, Frozen didn't really flesh out these ideas to stand out on their own. That is why it feels so 'meh'.

I was really annoyed with how Anna never took initiative to find out about her sister's 'sickness'. Okay, you would not have had a movie but I felt that compared to Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Brave and Tangled the female leads didn't take initiative. In BATB, Belle didn't listen to anyone when they told her not to go into the West Wing. Jasmine seethed and we were angry with her when she said 'I am not a prize to be won!'. Another personal favorite, and grossly underrated character was Esmeralda from HoND. They took risks. Rapunzel did that. I didn't get the drama. Lion King has it in spades (but even I thought it had its imperfections).
Death is a challenge. It tells us not to waste time… It tells us to tell each other right now that we love each other.

Leo Buscaglia
TheBlackCatCrossing
Damnatio ad bestias

Nothing really matters-Madonna

Nickname(s): Harley Quinn
Pride Points: 27

Postby toothlesslover365 » December 10th, 2014, 5:32 am

I love both.
But even though I grew up with Lion King, I have to side with Frozen for many reasons, one mainly being it focus on the love between two siblings which is very close to me. Anna is like my beat friend who is like a sister to me, in some ways I'm more like Elsa (don't like the cold though...) also I've been through family stuff so Family bond love is very dear to me. And both girls feeling like they "lost" a sibling, (Anna when Elsa ignored her and Elsa when Anna froze) is a very relateable thing for me (sadly) The first time I watched I teared up a bit when Elsa cried over Anna freezing.
I found the story line and music in frozen great.
Not to mention as a photographer and graphic designer (in training) I'm amazed by how far the animation has changed. Don't get me wrong I love the classic Lion King animation and would never want to see it in the current animation style, but I'm just amazed at how they can do so well even to the point of making no two snow flakes alike in the movie, just like for real. And how well you could see and feel the emotion.
I also like that they made Anna and Elsa not your typical princesses. Anna woke up with bed head. We can guess Elsa did too even though we never see her first thing in the morning, both girls wanted chocolate -this was always a big No for stereotypical princesses, also they dealt with issues normal girls and women deal with today.
Last edited by toothlesslover365 on December 10th, 2014, 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ohana means Family
Family means Nobody gets left behind
Or forgotten.
-Stitch

Kiara's Reign RP Idea
toothlesslover365
Secretly Kiara

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Toothless, Alisa (pronounced Elsa), Ali, Kiara,
Pride Points: 0

Postby Buffy » December 10th, 2014, 5:39 am

I really love Frozen and it is easily one of my top favourite movies of all time. However, The Lion King was, is, and always will be my #1 favourite.
Buffy
once i present, but then

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

everything changed when the fire nation attacked.

Pride Points: 180

PreviousNext

Return to Beyond The Lion King