Frozen *Some movies are worth melting for*

Frozen *Some movies are worth melting for*

Postby PrincessKiara » January 19th, 2014, 6:31 pm

Who here has seen Frozen? What do you think of it?

I went to an early screening a week before Christmas and saw the dubbed version (the original version in 3D was set up a few weeks later) and I LOVED it!
More under the spoiler tag (just in case someone who hasn`t seen the film has clicked on this topic)

Spoiler: show
This film is inspired by the fairy tale The Snow Queen by Danish author Hans Christian Andersen, and the production team even took a trip to Norway (my country! yaaay!) to get inspiration from the landscape, architecture, etc. I can`t tell you how amazing it felt to sit in the theatre and recognize elements in art/design/landscape/architecture from my own culture/history, it was just.. beautiful. When I first saw the film (dubbed) I thought the music was a weak point to an otherwise great, strong feature. I immediatly fell in love with Let It Go and thought Olaf`s song was enjoyable. But when I saw the English version, I loved it even more. Let It Go, both as a song and a sequence was one of the most breathtaking I`ve ever seen from Disney, and Do You Want To Build A Snowman actually made me cry. It was so poignant and heartbreaking..
Elsa is competing with Belle to be my nr. 1 favourite Disney Princess now (although she is technically a Queen!) and I also found Annas character to be entertaining and sympathetic, but there was something about Elsa I felt immediatly drawn to, I felt a stronger connection to her than Anna. Speaking of which, it`s great to see that a sibling relationship is the focus of a story for ONCE! I wanted to applaud when Elsa pointed out to Anna that she couldn`t marry a man she had just met.
Olaf is probably the cutest, funniest comic relief character ever... I`m partial to mute characters such as Meeko, Rajah etc as they tend to provide more physical comedy and is less naggy and don`t steal the spotlight as much as the more chatty ones, like Mushu (although I love him too!) Timon or Iago. People literally went "awww" in the theatre when Olaf said "some people are worth melting for." No joke! And I naturally adore Svein, I so want to get my own reindeer now, lol.
The twist with Hans - I for one did not see that coming! I was of course expecting that the kiss wouldn`t work, as it wasn`t true love (despite Anna insisting on it) and that a love gesture between the sisters would break the curse. I just did not imagine that Hans would be evil, and that was a good, clever, refreshing twist! Bravo Disney!
Kristoffer was a good character also, I really liked his design because he did NOT look like a perfect male model or a Prince Charming, he looked like a regular guy, and that is another of the refreshing changes Disney has made in Frozen.
/end rambling

So to sum up, I found Frozen to be a wonderful film, one of the best to come from Disney in recent years, along with Brave, Toy Story 3, Tangled... If you haven`t seen it yet, get yourself to the nearest cinema, don`t miss it!
PrincessKiara
I`m no super genius. Or are I?

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Miles To Go Before I Sleep

Nickname(s): Solle
Pride Points: 40

Re: Frozen *Some movies are worth melting for*

Postby juhouh » January 19th, 2014, 6:44 pm

I didn't like it, saw the original version (you can watch it from here). I don't understand what makes it so popular, just overrated in my eyes. Too many songs and the story wasn't that interesting at all
Ask me - My Playlist - Steam
"Never trust the future, Never miss the past, If you live for the shining moment, The moment may just last…"
Signature by SimbasMate
juhouh
Nalaholic

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Juho
Pride Points: 46

Postby SlayerOfLight » January 19th, 2014, 6:57 pm

I honestly have no clue what's supposed to be ''cool'' about Frozen. The animation looks incredibly childish and stupid, such as the characters look like overgrown reanimated barbie dolls, And I dont know what's so interesting about the whole plot/storyline... Everything just looks boring to me.
SlayerOfLight

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Nick, SOL
Pride Points: 125

Postby FlipMode » January 19th, 2014, 8:04 pm

[quote="Nicholas"]I honestly have no clue what's supposed to be ''cool'' about Frozen. The animation looks incredibly childish and stupid, such as the characters look like overgrown reanimated barbie dolls, And I dont know what's so interesting about the whole plot/storyline... Everything just looks boring to me.[/quote]

I bet people said that about TLK back in the day.
Anyways, I've heard nothing but good things about Frozen, as soon as I find someone to watch it with I shall do so assuming it's still in the cinema by that point :) if not I'll wait for the Blu Ray
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Postby SlayerOfLight » January 19th, 2014, 8:08 pm

[quote]I bet people said that about TLK back in the day. [/quote]

I dont think so, since according to Wikipedia Simba from TLK received huge criticism for having too many ''human'' features, more then most other doll-like Disney characters. And I myself always viewed the TLK animation as something unique in contrary to the typical doll-like animations seen in other Disney movies.
SlayerOfLight

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Nick, SOL
Pride Points: 125

Postby Eli_Ayase » January 19th, 2014, 8:14 pm

[quote="juhouh"]I didn't like it, saw the original version (you can watch it from here). I don't understand what makes it so popular, just overrated in my eyes. Too many songs and the story wasn't that interesting at all[/quote]

[quote="Nicholas"]I honestly have no clue what's supposed to be ''cool'' about Frozen. The animation looks incredibly childish and stupid, such as the characters look like overgrown reanimated barbie dolls, And I dont know what's so interesting about the whole plot/storyline... Everything just looks boring to me.[/quote]

THANK-YOU OH SOME GOOD PEOPLE STILL LIVE...

Honestly, I don't personally see a big hype about it either... I'm not being a hater or anything, I'm giving my opinion. I have seen it, and it really didn't take my like...

2D animated movies are more likely to take my likes, such as Beauty and the Beast if we go about princess related... I'm not much of a 3D animation fan, especially the big-eyed characters like now they draw... There are only FEW movies I like in 3D, such as Disney Pixar Cars, especially it's first movie which was touching. I just ain't a big fan for 3D...

As for the TLK "hype", TLK was a 2D animated and probably the best Disney ever has had, and still stays. To me Frozen doesn't even stand close to TLK.

And as stated already... It HAS gotten a BIT overrated... Of course I do know probably Harry Potter and such too were hyped and overrated, but where can you compare live actors with 3D animated characters, or where can you compare 3D with 2D animated movies?

I respect peoples likes for it, they can like whatever they want, but... yeah... I just wish there was something to hide a certain fandom that's being too overrated. :P Probably many of us wish that for any fandom we find too overrated.
Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, makes no difference. The degree is arbitrary. The definition’s blurred. If I am to choose between one evil and another, I rather not choose at all. – Geralt of Rivia
[Facebook] | [DeviantART] | [FictionPress.com] | [FanFiction.net] | [My Tumblr.]
I come and go, don't question me.
Also I'm an weeaboo/otaku, fite me m8 1v1 irl.

If you find anything offensive of what I say. Then it's not my fault that you took it serious.
Eli_Ayase
Gwynbleidd

Geralt of Rivia

Location: Iorveth's Forest (United Kingdom, Cambridgeshire area)
Nickname(s): Eli, Ann, Nat, Elichika, Eri, Ayase, Elise
Pride Points: 138

Postby DGFone » January 19th, 2014, 9:17 pm

All I saw about frozen were posters and a trailer or two. Because of this, I am going to reserve judgment, but honestly, the material I did see did not impress me. It's not that I "hate" it, but it didn't cause enough of a reaction with me that will make me to go and watch it. That is all.
DGFone
Got wings

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby FlipMode » January 19th, 2014, 9:33 pm

[quote="Nicholas"]I honestly have no clue what's supposed to be ''cool'' about Frozen. [/quote]

I just noticed the pun there, ouch.
FlipMode

Pride Points: 266

Postby UncoordinatedPisces » January 19th, 2014, 9:41 pm

I saw it today. My signature and avatar say everything really. I thought it was a great film; great enough to be in my top ten. Maybe even 2nd or 3rd favourite Disney film. I loved the songs, I loved the story and I loved the characters. Although, I'm always going to prefer 2D animation to CGI animation. That was probably it's only downfall.

I thought Hans being the villian was a great twist as well. Also, the ending, with the true love being between sisters instead of a couple was different and a pleasure to see being brought to life. I think whether you like Disney film's with lots of songs in is a personal thing. So yeah, Frozen was amazing IMO.
UncoordinatedPisces
just an oddball

I'm getting there, one clumsy step at a time

Nickname(s): Amy
Pride Points: 149

Postby Ninaroja » January 19th, 2014, 10:00 pm

I did very much enjoy Frozen when I saw it last week. I went with my friend Francesca, who wants to be an animator in the future. Since I'm a massive fan of animation, the two of us were legit freaking out at it, especially the action scenes and the formation of the ice palace.

Of course, I also prefer hand-drawn animation. It's sad that Disney has closed down it's 2D department, since IMO some of their most visually stunning films were their traditionally animated ones.

I wasn't crazy about the songs, apart from "Let It Go", but the songs still did have their place in the movie and I did enjoy the musical sequences. The story, too, also was new for me since I had never heard the story of the Snow Queen before, and I didn't see the plot twist coming :o

In the end, I did really enjoy it, and I will hopefully watch it again while it's still in the Cinema. It hasn't dented my top 10 Disney movies, but I would highly recommend it :cheese:
Signature Graphic made by Simbasmate! Thanks a ton :cheese:

Fanfiction Q&A Tumblr
Ninaroja
Nee-nyah Row-hah (AKA KULCY)

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Simba is Love. Simba is Life.

Nickname(s): Kulcy, Lucy, Nina, Juicy, MLK Drama Detective ;)
Pride Points: 82

Next

Return to The Den