A Brotherhood bound by Blood

A Brotherhood bound by Blood

Postby RedKite » October 18th, 2013, 5:32 pm

He crouches low on the shadowy tower. The grey-white cloak that adorns his shoulders flows out on the cold wind. His head snaps to attention as his eyes lock on target. He waits a few minutes more before beginning his decent down the white stone monument. The wind pulls at his hood as he reaches the floor. He looks around for his target again and finds them in a busy marketplace.

The person is draped in gold and scarlet silks and has a number of Royal Guards stationed around the perimeter of the market. He picks up his pace until he is just behind them. Unseen by the public, he pulls out his flip-sword and flicks the blade out. When walking abreast with the rich noble, he pushes the sharp weapon upwards and into their ribcage. Before he even has time to collapse, the assassin is gone.

The walk is brisk from the city square to the rendezvous location. He checks the town square clock to see if he is early.

“You’re late.”

He turns around to see Jasper leaning against an alley wall, arms crossed tightly against his chest.

“Yes, but this is the last-”

“Enzo, you say this every time, but when are you going to step up, be a man, and actually quit it?” Jasper retorts.

“I joined this as a Brotherhood looking to change the world’s perspective on outcasts, not a band of murderers…” Enzo frowns, sternly.

“Hey, if you want money, this is the only way to make it…” He shrugs.

Enzo sighs and begins to walk away.

“Heh. Heh. This is gonna be good….” A voice laughs as Luka drops down from the roof of the near-by tavern.

Jasper and Luka close in on Enzo, flip-swords drawn. Their grey, hooded cloaks billow in the wind, creating the illusion of two white eagles enclosing on their prey. Enzo whirls around, his own flip-sword clicking into position. The blades shine silver in the early afternoon light.

“I do not want violence, brothers….” Enzo hisses, grip tightening on the sword.

“When you disgraced the Brotherhood with your words, you brought the violence on yourself.” Jasper growls.

Jasper lunges forwards and thrusts his sword upwards, narrowly missing Enzo’s chest. After a short back flip, Luka lands firmly in front of him and slashes wildly. Slightly fazed, Enzo takes a nanosecond to check his surroundings, this earns him a slash across the cheek and the scarlet blood runs freely.

“Brothers, you have brought this upon yourself!” He yells, skilfully swiping back at them,

Jasper and Luka step back and look at each other, bemused at their comrade’s sudden mood change.

“One so against violence, yet so skilfully trained in such an art…” Jasper taunts.

He steps forwards and the two swords create a deadly cross between the two fighters, sweat drips from both of their brows as they push the swords against each other, force versus force.

Finally, Jasper gives up and steps aside, pocketing his sword. Enzo regards him with a cold glare which Jasper returns. Luka rolls his eyes as a tall, lanky man approaches them.

“You three are late… The Boss is not happy…” He drawls, quizzically narrowing his eyes at the others.

“Yeah, yeah…” Jasper growls, glaring at Enzo, “Luka, take this pathetic waste of space and don’t let him near the meeting…” He growls.

Roughly, Luka shoves Enzo away to roam the streets.

“Don’t even think about going to the market place ok?” He whispers.

Enzo nods and mouths ‘I owe you one’. He walks away, heading to the alleyway down to the right of the market. When alone, he swiftly scales the side of the building and sits on the rooftop. He pulls his knees up to his chest and rests his elbows on the tops of them. He watches the people down below that scurry about helplessly as a medic checks the assassinated noble on the floor.

“HEY! ENZO!” Jasper calls up to him

He rolls his eyes and peers over the edge.

“We got another job tonight…” Luka grins, polishing his sword against his cloak.

“I told you, I have to get back…” Enzo acknowledges.

“Yeah, yeah, you gotta get back to Antonio…” Jasper sighs haughtily.

Enzo sighs deeply and drops down, “Look, I’m sorry, but Antonio is waiting…”

“We understand…” Jasper grins.

Luka frowns and catches up with Enzo. He whispers hastily.

“Listen, Enzo, you’re playing a dangerous game…You know Jasper looks after him when you’re away…”

Enzo looks away, “I know, but Antonio needs me now…”

“I’ll let you know…” Luka nods, standing still.

Enzo nods his thanks and picks up his pace as he rounds the corner and goes down the alleyway that leads to the open field that leads to his house. Antonio is at the window, bright young face grinning as he unlocks the red-wood door. He rushes out, blonde hair flopping over his eyes. He runs into a hug with his elder brother and grins.

“Enzo!” He squeals happily, he runs on a bit, still grinning, “I missed you!”

“How did it go today?” Enzo asks as they gather inside.

“Good.” Antonio mumbles, he looks up at his brother and sighs, “But Jasper had to go early.”

Bang! The door knocks. Enzo goes to answer it but hesitates.

“Antonio, go to the back room.” He mouths.

The young boy nods and runs to the room. Enzo takes a deep breath, fingers tightening around the latch and opens the door.

“Enzo.” Luka grumbles, “You got off lightly. The boss was not happy. Jasper’s gonna blow if he sees you again. Did you consider my offer?”

The conversation ends abruptly, Antonio is stood at the door, a sheepish look on his face.

“Not now, Luka.” Enzo whispers, “I’ll try and talk with him later.”

“I can’t hold them off forever.” He sighs, walking away.

“What was all that about?” Antonio asks, eyes widening, “What was he on about, offer?”

Enzo winces and sighs.

It was a cold morning. The sky was washed peach and the clouds drifted lazily along the horizon. Enzo pulls his hood over his face and shuts the door quietly. He takes the path back to a grimy alley and checks his equipment before entering the market square. It was a ghostly husk of the parade it was before. Posters swirl in the breeze and the only sound is heavily muffled music coming from the various inns. The sign on The Lady Opal tavern creaks in the early morning winds.

“Nice to see you’re not late for a change.” Jasper smirks, voice echoing through the high-walled square.

Enzo regards him with an uninterested glance.

“Where’s Luka?” He asks, changing the subject.

“Hmph.” Jasper grunts, walking toward Enzo, “The Boss wanted a word with him, and you.”

Enzo backs up slightly, not breaking eye-contact with his opponent.

“Let’s go, Enzo.” Jasper grins, walking in the direction of an office block.

Left in the square, Enzo follows, feeling helpless.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Inside the spacious office, a long dark-wooded table dominates the room. At the one end squats a brown leather chair, two duplicates are seated on each of the long sides.
RedKite
Protector of the Circle

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Defender of Life

Nickname(s): Red, Redd, Reddie, Kite
Pride Points: 5

Return to Off-Topic Creativity