Getting my sketchy on.

Re: Getting my sketchy on.

Postby AdAstrα » May 5th, 2012, 10:49 am

Looking good! :D
I'm never going back
The past is in the past
AdAstrα

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Fabulous Frog
Pride Points: 117

Postby Jiirani » May 5th, 2012, 4:39 pm

If you intend on learning anatomy I recommend learning the animal inside out. Learn the skeleton structure. That back paw on the cat sketch looks a bit awkward. And that bears nose looks odd too but then again I'm not too savvy with bears so idk lol

tumblr | TLK blog | art by shyre
Jiirani
Hopeless Wanderer

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Restoring light to the lighthouse

Nickname(s): Eli, Jii, Lion
Pride Points: 62

Postby Misiziri » May 5th, 2012, 6:46 pm

[quote="Regulus"]Geez, I wish I could draw a bear like that. How did you manage to make the shadows perfect without screwing up the outlines?[/quote]

Haha, the shading is far from perfect, my friend, but thank you! The bear's fur was too dark to tell where any shadows would be, so I filled them in randomly. I used a tissue and smudged the pencil marks to make it look like darkness. I don't really know how I ended up not blurring the lines, I guess they were just so dark they didn't blur? And thank you! :D

[quote="AdAstra"]Looking good! :D[/quote] Many thanks! ^^

[quote="Jiirani"]If you intend on learning anatomy I recommend learning the animal inside out. Learn the skeleton structure. That back paw on the cat sketch looks a bit awkward. And that bears nose looks odd too but then again I'm not too savvy with bears so idk lol[/quote]

100% correct, I should be looking at skeletons but it's harder to connect the skeleton to the outside body... it's tough to explain. Looking at the animal in it's flesh in blood is the approach I'll try for now, if I don't improve I'll start doing that. And YES, the paws. For whatever reason, I can't draw paws and eyes D: I need to work on those. There's specific images just for paws, I'll use multiple refs instead of just one next time I need help with that. And the bear's nose? I actually think it looks fine, here's the image I used.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'm desperate to improve! I'm also now the leading cause of forest depletion thanks to all paper I've been using :P
Attachments
badbreathbear.jpg
His nose was difficult to replicate, no excuse of course.
Misiziri

Nickname(s): La'Vie
Pride Points: 168

Postby Misiziri » May 5th, 2012, 8:52 pm

I am officially MLK's worst double-posting offender :P

Okay, I drew a lioness using a reference and started with the nostrils. Not as detailed as the picture I used, but I'm satisfied with everything except the eyes. Luckily I got them to be in the same position, but does anyone notice the left eye is larger than the right? Anyways, I think I did fairly well on everything else this time around. Here's the reference (svenimal, DeviantArt)

lionessie.jpg
Here's the lovely lassie! Her skin has so much fur detail and so many wrinkles, I chose not to replicate all of it.
Attachments
FinesseLioness.png
Finesse Lioness! Darkened in GIMP
FinesseLioness.png (182.51 KiB) Viewed 1635 times
Misiziri

Postby Regulus » May 5th, 2012, 11:32 pm

Yeah, the eyes kinda look weird. XD

I dunno though, because it's kinda a weird reference to begin with.
Regulus
Is differentiable...

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

But convergence is not guaranteed.

Nickname(s): Reg, Regs, Last Person to Post
Pride Points: 206

Postby Misiziri » May 5th, 2012, 11:47 pm

Yeah, they're slanted. I made my lioness to Asian xP Woops... also her muzzle is too narrow. At least I did better with the ears, those are pretty tough IMO :)

Anyways, here's moar! I took a break from trying realism and did something cuter. It's a polar bear (the bottom portion of his body is enveloped in snow)
Attachments
ItsCold.png
Brr! It's chilly.
Misiziri

Postby Misiziri » May 11th, 2012, 2:22 am

SOUND THE SIRENS! I've attempted layer-based coloring! And it wasn't very difficult at all, actually :P

This is my first valid attempt at coloring using layers, I just started today xD I chose a bit difficult of a picture to do, with all the fur detail already on the un-painted drawing. So here's Finesse, all colored and pretty! Tell me what you think. Too smudgy? Need more subtle details? I'd love to improve on this, color is soooo much better than ugly black-and-white all the time.
Attachments
FinesseLionessColored.png
'Nessie! ^^ Her pelt color is so light it reminds of Snowene lol :P
FinesseLionessColored.png (343.84 KiB) Viewed 1618 times
Misiziri

Postby Shadowfax » May 12th, 2012, 11:46 am

Wow, awesome arts here! Love the way you do your colouring :3
Shadowfax
Never give up;

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

And good luck will find you.

Pride Points: 182

Postby Misiziri » May 28th, 2012, 4:30 am

Hello, my duckies, I've made a wolfeline. This was a test to see how well I could draw in the partially frontal/head slightly turned view that I see a lot. Not too shabby for a first try, I actually think. Although his eyes are incredibly off-angle lmao

What should I name him...
Attachments
Turnhead.png
HE IS NOT BASED OFF OF BALTO I don't even like Balto.
Turnhead.png (195.53 KiB) Viewed 1588 times
Misiziri

Postby Misiziri » June 10th, 2012, 1:04 am

Here's a rather freaky and poorly drawn hellhound (2 of them actually). This isn't meant to represent anything it was an attempt at drawing facial expressions and details like frowns and wrinkles and all that.
Attachments
Hellhounds.png
Gerbils are stealing my scotch tape what do i dooo
Misiziri

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic Creativity