Wokovu: Kovu's Journey

Wokovu: Kovu's Journey

Postby YFWE » April 9th, 2009, 3:55 am

This is my first Lion King fanfic... I guess it's starting out all right. Much more to come, obviously.

Readers are always nice, as is feedback. :>

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4978260/1/ is also where you can find it. :O

Wokovu: Kovu’s Journey
Chapter 1: The Peace the Evening Brings

The sun had barely set over the Serengeti; twinkling stars had appeared through wispy, ethereal clouds…it was a night not unlike most others. It was serene and calm, a storybook setting.

Out of this surreal background rose Pride Rock, a symbolic cornerstone of the savanna known as the Pride Lands. As the clouds were low that evening, the top of the massive rock structure was extending into the clouds, giving off the impression that the formation was taller than it actually was…not, of course, that Pride Rock was by any means a short structure.

A lone lion stood at the promontory of the Rock that hung out over the ground, his dark mane quivering in the light breeze of the evening. Many fellow lions and lionesses had stood in that very spot…including himself, just a small time prior. Days had passed since the Outlanders had joined the Pridelanders, and slowly, order had been restored to the area. And yet, even then, when one might imagine that all would be right, Kovu was not content.

He was restless, though at first glance one might not know it. He stared straight ahead, off into the distance, where far away the sky was slightly lightened, a swirl of pink and yellow due to the sun’s recent setting. Kovu, it seemed, was not admiring the intrinsic beauty of this tapestry of color…something more was on his mind.

Kovu knew in his heart that not all was well. The quarrel had seemingly been ended by the death of his mother; the Outlanders had joined the Pridelanders and were one once more…and Kovu had faithfully believed this was true at first. But when Vitani came to confide in him one night what she had witnessed, what she knew… it was then that Kovu realized his misfortune, and that the Pride…especially Simba…was in grave danger.

The question was how to tell them.

Surely he would be questioned. Surely he would be ridiculed, looked down on. He had worked hard to gain conviction in the eyes of Simba and the rest of the Pride; and now, though it was not (and had not been) in his direct control, the trust he was given could very well be lost.

It had been Zira’s final act of planning, a backup in case the Outlanders were to fail in their attempted coup of the Pride Lands. Kovu sighed; he should have seen this coming, should have known that this was imminent. His mother may have been a bit of a brute, but she was clever, and if her hate truly was at the level it had been at, she would have taken every precaution necessary to ensure that Simba would be vanquished and the Pride Lands would be under Outlander control…even if she died before realizing her dream.

Kovu hung his head low to the ground. This was on him to rectify now. Vitani had come to him because she was scared for the possible outcome; the other former Outlanders, she said, were precisely the same way. Kovu now was as well, and cursed his ignorance…he should have noticed that a lioness was unaccounted for when they joined up at the Pride Lands.

He had never really known Jasusi…no one did. She was almost always solitary, more of an introvert than any of them had known. Often times, she did not even accompany the other lionesses on hunts or on other business. But Kovu did know one thing, and this was why Vitani came to him with her worries…Jasusi had been one of Zira’s favorites.

Vitani had been, in effect, Zira’s right-hand lion when she had come of age. But according to the other lionesses, though it was never explicitly stated, Jasusi had been in this position before the coming of Vitani. Not that Jasusi harbored any ill will toward Vitani…it was mentioned that she did not, for Jasusi was still very vital to Zira’s success, and more loyal to her than any of the other lionesses were combined. This was chalked up to the story that Jasusi had been rescued by Zira from almost certain death when she was a cub. This was not too long after the time Nuka had been born, only furthering Zira’s firm avoidance of her firstborn son. Jasusi was kept in the Outlands, where they of course later resided after their banishment from the Pride Lands. This explained Zira’s long absences from Pride Rock throughout the day, furthering Nuka’s solitude. Scar had approved of this. All was well in his eyes; yet another lion that could be used for combat in his name when the time came to take over the throne was always a welcome addition.

Jasusi was a scout, an emissary, a spy. Zira would often have her going on reconnaissance trips and meeting with outsiders from other parts of the Serengeti, which explained her long absences and periods (sometimes weeks at a time) during which she was never seen. Thus, it was only natural that she would do what she did in the end.

She was with them before the battle with Simba and the other Pridelanders, but not for long. Vitani witnessed her mother whispering fleetingly to Jasusi, who nodded in affirmation and slunk out of site. She had not returned for the duration of the fight and had not been seen since.

It was only natural, said Vitani, that Zira had instructed Jasusi to find help should her plan fail.

This is what frightened Vitani. She did not have the slightest idea as to where Jasusi had gone, but she did recall as a cub meeting with leaders from far off prides with her mother. Zira would occasionally speak of such leaders in the Outlands, but not much was mentioned of real interest…Vitani could not even remember any of their names. But she did know this (as did Kovu)…the Outlands had not been the only pride in Africa that disliked the Pride Lands.’

Kovu’s fur bristled in the continuing breeze, which had picked up in intensity since he had first gone out to the promontory. The sky was as black it would be now; he estimated that he had been outside for quite some time. And yet, thinking about his situation had not helped him one bit.

He looked to the stars. Kiara had said that the kings of the past were always looking down on them, protecting them. But he was not a king, at least not yet…was he truly protected? He questioned if he was an exception to this; he had been born of relative darkness and had had darkness in his heart for as long as he could remember. In fact, it was still there…he could feel it. It was distant, sure, and easily suppressed… but its very existence haunted him, and he trembled at the notion that he would not be protected. Surely the kings did not care about him. He was an outsider, no matter how much he wanted to hide it.

If Jasusi was able to get to the other prides, they could very well be on their way to the Pride Lands. Someone would have to try to stop them; their numbers very well could outnumber Simba’s Pride. If someone could convince them to hold back their forces, then perhaps the Pride would be spared. As Kovu had been Scar’s chosen heir, perchance he could somehow convince them to back off…granted, of course, that Jasusi had not informed them of his sedition.

This was on him, or so he led himself to believe. Kovu could not bear to lose the trust of the Pride once more…for instance, if he went to Simba and confided in him this, what if Simba believed he and the other lionesses to still be carrying out their plan to take over the Pride Lands, that Zira was a mere martyr and puppet for their cause? Or if Kovu simply did not tell them and the other prides arrived… well, it could only get worse from there.

And so, Kovu decided, he would leave the Pride Lands. He would find the other prides…somehow, though he did not know their exact locations. It was the least he could do.

He grimaced. Kiara would not be happy. But Kiara, if she was told, would almost certainly want to go with him, and he could not risk her safety, not anymore.

He would tell Vitani in the morning. They could devise a plan, or at least a cover for him while he was gone. He would then depart the following evening, while the rest of the Pride was asleep. It would have to work. It was their only hope, and as the now-heir to the throne of the Pride Lands, it was the least he could do to show his loyalty.

There was a rustling behind him, from inside the cave. Kovu turned, facing Kiara for the first time that evening as she emerged from the cave. Kovu, thinking of his plan transiently, flashed a forced grin. “Hi.”

“What are you still doing out here?” Kiara questioned, frowning.

“Oh, you know… it’s a good night for star viewing.”

“A rather cloudy one, I’d say,” she nuzzled his neck. “I wish you’d come inside… it’s late.”

Kovu grunted and returned the affection. “Yeah… yeah, I’ll be right in. Hakuna Matata, now.” He flashed another grin.

Kiara smiled back, nodded, and turned to go back inside the cave. When she was about halfway there, she paused, and turned back around. “Kovu?”

“Hm?”

“If there was something wrong, you’d tell me… right?”

Kovu nodded. “I would. I tell you everything.” Kiara smirked, gave a nod back and slunk back inside. Her mate glanced at the starry sky one last time, exhaled, and followed Kiara, still preoccupied about the days ahead.

END CHAPTER

Hope you like? :>
Last edited by YFWE on November 11th, 2009, 5:31 am, edited 4 times in total.
YFWE
Begger, stealer, borrower

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Svanire

Pride Points: 29

Re: Tokovu: Kovu's Journey

Postby Panda-chan » April 9th, 2009, 5:03 am

Wow, that's awesome YFWE! Can't wait to find out what happens next! You've really got me hooked. :P
D̵̢̨̧̛͔̖͍̝̤̫̼̝̬̤̪̟͇͙̊̏̎͛̇̏͊͌̃̂̈́͂̒̄̅̚̚͘͝R̸̥̙͂̀̾̑̊̀̉́̀́̐̄̊̿̈́̄͑̐̕͝I̴̗̯̼̳͉͕̺̤̖̝̪̫̊͛͝͠Ǹ̵̨̧͈̮̦̖̝͈̥̗͕̭͉̺̲͕̥͔͎̹͖͙͇̲̘̩̞͓̦̦̯̮̙̜̼̝͈̣̺̰̺̟̙̫̫ͅK̶̢̢̡̧̢̛̻͎̘͉̦͚̳̗̱̗̮̫̲͎̟͚͖̠̣̺͎̠̤͈̩̞͈͚̣̳̟̣̓͊͊̍̀̇͆́͐̔̔̅̿̅̋̈̈́̔̈̒̌̆̃̇͗̂̐̽́͊̋͗̚̕͘͜͜͠͝͝ ̴̧̧̢̧̧̢̛̦̗̦̭͔̝͎̘͍͚͈̰̦̲͍̥͚̱͓̦̙̞̱̜̹̍̉́̿̃͆̆̾̀̍̊͛̈́̽̈́̀̋̒̾͗͗͂̾̊̇̃̈́̋́̓̄̂̐͊͂̏̿̅͂̚͘̚͜͠͝͠ͅͅͅͅW̵̢̧̨̥͇̳̩͍̪̓̉͊̓̏͜͠Ã̵̧̨͍͚̭̱̦̯̣͓̱̫͑͋̋̾̎͑̽̔̒͆̉͒͑͆̎͑̑̒͋̑̀̒̿͑̄͋̒͆̑͆̔̈̈́͂͆̾̾̌̃̏̊̓͘͜͝͠͠T̸̨̧̛̮̙̰͇̹̭̥̙̝̱̼̥͖̟̃̔̑̒̓̈́͂̈́̂̓̂̎̋͊̌͋̂͂̃̂͝͠͠͝ͅĘ̴̧̡̢̧̡̠͉͉͕̤̳̘̖̙̭͙͕̻͍̖̗͙̯͈͔͋̄̾̄͛͌͌͒͛̇̎͋̉̈́̆̈́̍̎̆̒͑̒̅̋̊̄̈̿͒̈̋̾̊́̔̚͝͠͝͠ͅŖ̸̠̫͓̞͈̫̉̂
Panda-chan

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

STAY HYDRATED, FOLKS

Nickname(s): Weeb trash
Telegram: 6834232905344686445634231897968563522324236894284563523722616678
Pride Points: 108

Re: Wokovu: Kovu's Journey

Postby JesstheCougress » April 9th, 2009, 1:08 pm

omigosh... that was incredible! you've got a way of telling it so it feels so real! I can't wait to read more!
JesstheCougress

Pride Points: 0

Postby YFWE » April 10th, 2009, 6:01 am

Ooh, why thank you both! :>

Glad to see there's some interest!
YFWE

Svanire

Postby NightmareMoon » April 10th, 2009, 7:45 pm

Nice piece of writing YFWE. =]
NightmareMoon
The one and only NM =]

The night... will last.... FOREVER!!

Nickname(s): NM, Jamie
Pride Points: 19

Postby YFWE » April 15th, 2009, 7:39 am

Thanks again for the feedback, guys!

Here's chapter two, then.

Wokovu: Kovu’s Journey
Chapter 2: Nightmare

He was running, as he often was doing in his more recent dreams. Around him, the Pridelands were considerably darker; the sky was black as night, though no stars were visible. He was running away from Pride Rock, back toward the Outlands….

Kovu glanced behind him. The fog was coming…the thick mist that was always following him in this dream, the reason for his fleeing from Pride Rock. It was nearing him; it would overtake Kovu soon.

Other animals stood on either side of him, clearing somewhat of a path for the running lion. Their cries mirrored those that they had made not long before…he was not one of them, he was an outsider, and he would always be this way no matter what he did.

Invisible entities that felt like twigs smacked at his face (though he was in a treeless area of the savanna), slowing him down significantly. The fog descended upon Kovu, and amid the other animals, he fell to the ground, the other animals then forming a sort-of barricade around him and the trailing fog. Kovu stared, frightened, into the translucent mist, and watched in horror as it began to change…to take a distinct shape. The vapory mass swirled around purposefully, slowly forming limbs, a tail, a head….

Within seconds, Kovu was staring into the face of Simba.

The king of Pride Rock roared dauntingly, and Kovu shrunk back and winced, even though he knew that he could not be physically hurt in his dreams. He tried to speak, but found that he could not… and this terrified him more than anything.

“Traitor,” boomed Simba. “And after all I have done for you.”

Kovu squirmed, trying desperately to avert his gaze from Simba’s.

“My Pride may very well be dead within the hour. I hold you responsible.”

“N-n-,” Kovu stuttered.

“I should have known. I should have known that this was all some elaborate game you and the other Outlanders were playing with us. And to think I trusted you…”

“It wasn’t me!” Kovu finally cried. “A-another lion… not me…”

“You expect me to believe this? You told me all lions and lionesses from the Outlands were accounted for when you joined us. Do not even try to lie to me.”

Simba pinned Kovu to the ground, pressing his paws against the younger lion’s chest. He knelt down, close to Kovu’s face. “Even Kiara trusted you,” he whispered. “Oh, if you could only see the state she is in.”

Kovu gasped. “No! Kiara… she wouldn’t… she knows I am innocent…”

“SILENCE,” roared Simba, and Kovu fell quiet. “No,” he growled, “not even Kiara was fooled by your trickery.”

Simba looked up and glanced around at the surrounding creatures. “Let this be a lesson,” he said, “to anyone who is exposed as a treasonous coward such as Kovu.” He stared back down at the cringing lion, and raised his paw, claws extended. He let it fall…

Kovu awoke abruptly, sensing something resting lightly on his back. He rolled over swiftly, coming face to face with Kiara. She smiled. “Wake up!” she said, laughing. “You’ve been asleep for a while.”

Grunting, Kovu stretched and rose. “Sorry…” he said with a smirk. “I was having an… interesting dream. Guess I didn’t want to wake up, eh?”

Kiara nuzzled Kovu’s neck, brushing past him and beginning to exit the cave. “Just don’t make it a habit, alright? Daddy wants us to accompany him on a hunt today… will you be able to?”

“Don’t see why not, I guess…” affirmed Kovu, though his mind had clearly wandered to another topic as a result…he had to find Vitani before they left. “Just… give me a few, okay?”

Kiara nodded, beaming. “I’ll go tell him!” she announced, taking off in the direction of the promontory. Kovu watched her go, making sure she was out of sight completely before he set off in the opposite direction out of the cave. He could only speculate where Vitani was, but he imagined that she would be in the shade of a few nearby trees up against Pride Rock.

He was right; there she was, surrounded by two other sleeping lionesses. She was lying down, though not asleep; rather, she appeared to be in a deep concentration.

Kovu stepped lightly between the quiescent lionesses, reaching Vitani and nudging her slightly. The lioness jerked faintly in surprise, rolling around to face Kovu. Without a word, she nodded, and began to saunter off toward the savanna, Kovu soon beside her.

“I take it you thought about what I told you?” Vitani asked with a hint of concern. “About Jasusi?”

“A great deal,” replied Kovu. “Many sleepless nights and secluded days… haven’t done much else besides think of it.” He looked over at her. “What about you and the other lionesses? Has it been deliberated further among you all?”

Vitani sighed. “A bit, but I think most of us have been trying not to think about it; we’re going with the hope that nothing actually happens, that Jasusi cannot find an ally for Mother’s cause.”

“I think it’d be best if we went on the assumption that she has or will find one. At least we’d be prepared for the worst and wouldn’t get caught off guard.”

Pausing beside a small oasis, Vitani bent over to drink a few swallows of water, before turning back to Kovu. “You’re probably right. Do you have a plan, though?”

“Kind of,” said Kovu.

“Well, it’s better than what we have. What is it?”

“…I think I’m going to go try to find her.”

Vitani lingered upon that for a moment, before replying, “By yourself?”

Kovu nodded. “That’s the plan.”

“Are you feeling okay?”

“As good as I could, I guess… why?”

“Because that’s crazy!” cried Vitani. “What if she found allies of Mother’s? You’d be completely outmatched! Not to mention that you don’t even know where Jasusi ran off to!”

“I take it you don’t like the plan.”

“Basically,” growled Vitani. “At least take me and some of the other lionesses with you… or even tell Simba! This very well may concern him, after all.”

“Simba can’t know,” said Kovu, his eyes downcast. “I was… hoping you could keep him and the others at bay while I was gone.”

“Kovu, I’m not letting you go off by yourself!”

“Please,” Kovu stared into the eyes of his sister pleadingly. “This is all on me. I must go alone… Scar always said I was his heir. Maybe, if Jasusi has found allies, they would listen to me.”

Vitani rolled her eyes. “Do you see in this some sort of act of undying loyalty to the Pride? Is this why you’re doing this? Kovu, you don’t need to prove yourself! Simba trusts you!”

“How can we be so sure? What if he thinks we’re behind this?”

Vitani paused, and turned away. “I… I don’t know. As much as I want to see he would, I’m worried about it now that you bring it up. Maybe it’s because of Mother’s influence…”

“Either way,” Kovu rested a paw on Vitani’s shoulder, “it’s something I must do. Can I count on you to keep the others at bay?”

“I… guess I could.” She turned back toward Kovu. “What are you going to tell Kiara?”

“I’m… not sure,” said Kovu sadly. “But it can’t be the truth, whatever it is…she’d want to come, and I can’t risk her security.”

Vitani nodded in comprehension. “You could… say that you were heading back out to the Outlands, to retrieve something useful we had forgotten.”

“That would only give me a day. I’d need more than that.”

“Well,” said Vitani, “I’ve heard before of lions heading out into the extreme wilderness to ”˜find themselves’ or however they put it. You know, a meditative retreat or something.”

Kovu perked up a bit. “You know, that doesn’t sound too bad in more ways than one. It definitely would suffice for a few days of searching, that’s for sure.” He paused momentarily before continuing. “You’d have to tell her.”

“Me? Why me?”

“I’ll be leaving in the middle of the night, once everyone is asleep. I won’t have the opportunity to let her know, and even if I did, I think she’d still want to come with me.” He grimaced. “She sure does care a lot.”

“I can do that, then,” said Vitani. “I’ll let the other Outlander lionesses know what’s happening as well… we’ll hold the others off as long as we can.”

“If I’m not back within a few days, expect the worst.”

Vitani nodded sadly. “I understand.”

“…Kovu, we’re leaving!” came Kiara’s voice from atop the promontory. Kovu and VItani peered up at the overlook to see Simba and Kiara standing there, Simba with an expectant look on his face.

Kovu motioned to them and turned back to his sister. “Thank you…” he said. “I can’t even begin to show my gratitude.”

“Eh, I’ve never been one for affectionate gestures anyway,” said Vitani with a wink. “Go on and try to enjoy your time with her, alright?”

Kovu forced a grin. “I’ll try.” He nodded one last time and bounded back up the rock, to where Simba and Kiara were waiting keenly.

At least one phase, he thought to himself, had gone well. Now, all he could do was wait and, as Vitani had said, try to enjoy what could be his final hours with Kiara.

END CHAPTER

This felt a bit rushed, but altogether not too bad. And yes, I'm aware that dream-Simba was pretty much a total bastardization of normal Simba. Suppose that's what gives Kovu's dream even more of a nightmarish quality.

Anyway, not sure when I'll update again. Maybe a week from now, we'll see. Feedback is always appreciated! ;D Thanks for reading!

~YFWE

Last edited by YFWE on November 11th, 2009, 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
YFWE

Svanire

Postby NightmareMoon » April 15th, 2009, 8:23 am

Your writing style is amazing and description and vocabulary use is excellent. Nice 8-)

But maybe you could write a bit more in your chapters? This story is coming along nicely, but I felt as though there wasn't much here... just a thought. Otherwise, the only comment I really have left is nice. :)
NightmareMoon
The one and only NM =]

The night... will last.... FOREVER!!

Nickname(s): NM, Jamie
Pride Points: 19

Postby YFWE » April 15th, 2009, 4:35 pm

Thanks!! :)

Yeah, I probably could and should write more. Trust me when I say this-- for the ADJL fic I'm working on currently, chapter sizes come to probably fourteen times the size of these chapters. I had intended, actually, on making this longer, but I was kind of nodding off toward the end, and I had class early this morning. Next chapter, I may try to get a bit more length in there.
YFWE

Svanire

Postby Panda-chan » April 15th, 2009, 9:28 pm

This is getting really exciting YWFE. I love your writing style. It makes me so impatient for more!
D̵̢̨̧̛͔̖͍̝̤̫̼̝̬̤̪̟͇͙̊̏̎͛̇̏͊͌̃̂̈́͂̒̄̅̚̚͘͝R̸̥̙͂̀̾̑̊̀̉́̀́̐̄̊̿̈́̄͑̐̕͝I̴̗̯̼̳͉͕̺̤̖̝̪̫̊͛͝͠Ǹ̵̨̧͈̮̦̖̝͈̥̗͕̭͉̺̲͕̥͔͎̹͖͙͇̲̘̩̞͓̦̦̯̮̙̜̼̝͈̣̺̰̺̟̙̫̫ͅK̶̢̢̡̧̢̛̻͎̘͉̦͚̳̗̱̗̮̫̲͎̟͚͖̠̣̺͎̠̤͈̩̞͈͚̣̳̟̣̓͊͊̍̀̇͆́͐̔̔̅̿̅̋̈̈́̔̈̒̌̆̃̇͗̂̐̽́͊̋͗̚̕͘͜͜͠͝͝ ̴̧̧̢̧̧̢̛̦̗̦̭͔̝͎̘͍͚͈̰̦̲͍̥͚̱͓̦̙̞̱̜̹̍̉́̿̃͆̆̾̀̍̊͛̈́̽̈́̀̋̒̾͗͗͂̾̊̇̃̈́̋́̓̄̂̐͊͂̏̿̅͂̚͘̚͜͠͝͠ͅͅͅͅW̵̢̧̨̥͇̳̩͍̪̓̉͊̓̏͜͠Ã̵̧̨͍͚̭̱̦̯̣͓̱̫͑͋̋̾̎͑̽̔̒͆̉͒͑͆̎͑̑̒͋̑̀̒̿͑̄͋̒͆̑͆̔̈̈́͂͆̾̾̌̃̏̊̓͘͜͝͠͠T̸̨̧̛̮̙̰͇̹̭̥̙̝̱̼̥͖̟̃̔̑̒̓̈́͂̈́̂̓̂̎̋͊̌͋̂͂̃̂͝͠͠͝ͅĘ̴̧̡̢̧̡̠͉͉͕̤̳̘̖̙̭͙͕̻͍̖̗͙̯͈͔͋̄̾̄͛͌͌͒͛̇̎͋̉̈́̆̈́̍̎̆̒͑̒̅̋̊̄̈̿͒̈̋̾̊́̔̚͝͠͝͠ͅŖ̸̠̫͓̞͈̫̉̂
Panda-chan

STAY HYDRATED, FOLKS

Nickname(s): Weeb trash
Telegram: 6834232905344686445634231897968563522324236894284563523722616678
Pride Points: 108

Postby KiarasMate » May 16th, 2009, 4:54 am

Aww, I was hoping to find some new chapters to this story in here YFWE, since I loved reading it on TLKPF, but I must commend you on your fantastic writing skills once more. ^^ Much like I stated on TLKPF I really loved this story and hope you will find time to continue it soon. ^^
KiarasMate
Legendary Lion

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): KM

Next

Return to Fan Fictions