[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
View topic - A World About To Dawn (AdAstra) — My Lion King Forum

A World About To Dawn (AdAstra)

A World About To Dawn (AdAstra)

Postby UncoordinatedPisces » April 24th, 2013, 8:52 pm

This is a TLK style version of Les Miserables, hence all the characters. Just thought I'd let any reader know.
Main Characters: show
Jean Valjean - Both
Fantine - You
Cosette - Me
Eponine - You
Marius - You
Javert - Me
Lamarque - Me
Enjolras - You
Grantaire - Me

Minor Characters: show
Combeferre - Me
Courfeyrac - You
Jehan - Me
Feuilly - You
Gavroche - Me

OCs: show
Aimee - Me
Toulouse - Me
Azelma - You

With his trail dragging behind him, and the struggle with holding himself up on his own two paws, Jean Valjean gazed ahead at the vast shrub lands that lay before him. With no tall trees or boulders to shelter beside for the night, he just had to continue trekking through the lands. He made no change of direction and no acknowledgement of the other life around him.

His purpose was to find shelter, food and water, then he could relax. The strangely cold night and lack of sleep wasn't good for his health. He was just past his prime, but his thick oak brown mane wasn't beginning to grey. His amber fur wasn't beginning to matte. He was still an impressive lion. Jean had seen many droughts, many plentiful seasons, many battles and yet he remained strong as ever. His strength was unnerving to some.

The ground under his paws seemed softer, and suddenly squidgy. Jean halted and examined the ground. It was muddy. This was surely a good sign that water was nearby. His lips curled into a small smile and he picked up his pace. Soon enough, he came to a slow flowing river. Had it been day, he would of seen it, but the water was coal black in the night without the light of the moon.

Valjean lent closer to the water line, observing his surroundings for a few moments cautiously, for he did not feel comfortable wherever he went. Satisfied enough, he began lapping up the liquid, mentally thanking whatever spirits had let him too it. Jean Valjean had not always been a thankful lion, with beliefs of others that are not the living.

As a juvenile young male, he felt responsible for his family members. He had a sister, who was struggling to keep her cub alive. The three of them traveled in search of food, but all lied on claimed territory. Jean knew it was against the way lions had lived if he tried to hunt there. He decided to take a risk. Unsurprisingly, it didn't go unnoticed. He fought with the leader of the land, Javert. He even explained his situation but the lion simply did not care. He was furious at Jean, and vowed to kill him if he ever returned.

With this failed hunt, Valjean left the territory in shame. He had let down his family, and he had gone against the way lions had lived for centuries. To his utter dismay, when he returned to his family, they had gone. To this day he does not know where, or if they’re alive. Hating and blaming Javert, he had to go it alone. Life was going downhill. After years of struggling, one day he could not find food, nor water.

He was going to die. However, small pride found him took it upon themselves to help him regain strength. They showed him what it was like to love, to feel warmth again, and told him of the great spirits above who guide them all.

With a new state of mind and new beliefs, Jean Valjean set off again. Although he was disheartened by the news that Javert was searching for him, he remained hopeful. He decided to journey across the lands. Along the way, he helped as many as he could, but never stayed in one place for long in fear of Javert catching up to him.

Here he is now, in the present, drinking and praying to the spirits he finds somewhere to rest soon. Not expecting nor hoping for anything drastic to happen.
UncoordinatedPisces
just an oddball

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I'm getting there, one clumsy step at a time

Nickname(s): Amy
Pride Points: 149

Re: A World About To Dawn (AdAstra)

Postby AdAstrα » April 25th, 2013, 9:11 pm

The lioness walked slowly, the warm midday sun quickly draining her of any strength she had left. For several days now, she had been out there, wandering about the savannah attempting to hunt. She was ill, seriously ill in fact, and had it not been for her young cub she would probably have stopped fighting the disease long ago. But her poor daughter would not survive for much longer without food, and therefore, she had to keep trying. Even if each breath was now becoming painful, even if she coughed almost constantly, she could not give up. The child was her world. She had no one else. Having lost her own parents at a young age, she did not want to leave her motherless. Perhaps, if she only managed to eat something, she would soon feel better. Perhaps she would not die after all. The thought lifted her spirits somewhat, at least for a few moments. However, deep down, she knew. She was doomed, and so was her precious cub.

Finding some shade, she lied down, panting and trying desperately to catch her breath. The vultures watched from high above, clearly anticipating a fresh meal soon becoming available. "Go away..." she muttered faintly, "Leave me alone..."

"Mother..." She then heard someone whisper. It was her daughter. Or rather, what she believed to be her daughter. In her weakened state, the young lioness had began to hallucinate.

"Cosette..." she said with a smile. "Come closer, dear. I'm only resting, I'll get you something to eat soon. But I'm so awfully tired."
AdAstrα

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Fabulous Frog
Pride Points: 117

Postby UncoordinatedPisces » April 26th, 2013, 6:39 am

Valjean shook his mane free of dust kicked up by a small breeze. He hated walking during the highest point of the sun but he felt it necessary. He needed to come across a herd to hunt from. He observed his surroundings with his dark yet gentle eyes and spotted a tree not too far away. "Maybe...maybe I should rest" he thought, grumbling momentarily before picking up the pace.

As he drew closer, he made out a figure of a lioness. She had almost blended into the ground. The sound of vultures was distant above him and he found it eerie. Jean approached the lioness and then his eyes widened with what he could describe as utter shock. She was all skin and bone. He could see her rib-cage, her backbone's, he could see the dim unresponsive look in her what he assumed to be, bright blue eyes.

She was mumbling, panting and coughing. Valjean hadn't seen anything like it. An overwhelming sense of pity came over him and he approached her a little more. He stopped when he was close enough so she knew he was there.
"Hello?" he said as softly as his voice could manage. He awaited a response. If he could help this poor lioness in anyway, he would.
UncoordinatedPisces
just an oddball

Postby AdAstrα » April 26th, 2013, 10:45 pm

She gazed up. Cosette was not lying down next to her, instead she was vanishing, walking away slowly and without looking back.
"No...where are you going?" she cried, "Come back...Cosette! Come back...don't leave...."
It took a while for her to notice the male lion who was now sitting next to her. Her blue eyes widening, she let out a little yelp; for fear was her initial reaction. However, when she looked into those brown eyes of his, they had a gentleness to them, and suddenly she was certain that he would not hurt her.

"I'm sorry." she said, "I...I didn't see you. I was talking to my daughter, you see, but she's left now. I wish she would come back...could you call her for me? She might hear you better." Here she was forced to pause by another coughing fit. Catching her breath, she looked up at the lion once again. "But...who are you?" she asked, "I don't...believe...I've seen you before."
AdAstrα

Postby UncoordinatedPisces » April 27th, 2013, 10:50 am

Jean Valjean felt deeply saddened. This lioness's illness was making her see something he could not. He couldn't even be sure if her daughter Cosette was alive or even real. His face held an expression of gentleness but concern. When she asked for him to call for her daughter, he hesitated. He didn't want to give her false hope, or proof that her hallucinations were real. Her coughing fits weren't a good sign. Jean could tell she was close to the end.

"Do not apologize" he rumbled. "My name is...Jean Valjean. Who are you?" he asked in return, gazing at the lioness momentarily. He imagined, in her healthier days she would of been incredibly pretty and elegant. The environment was harsh, as were the creatures and fellow lions who fought for survival everyday. He knew this better than most.

"Is there anyway I can help you?"
UncoordinatedPisces
just an oddball

Postby AdAstrα » April 29th, 2013, 11:41 pm

"I....I'm Fantine." the lioness said. Her name was all she really knew about herself, having never known her family. Attempting to sit up but failing, she kept gazing up at Valjean. Feeling much less disorientated than before, she now knew exactly where she was and what was happening. There was not a doubt in her mind that she was dying; she could feel it with every breath. When the lion offered to help, tears began to form in the corners of her bright blue eyes.

"My daughter...my daughter Cosette. She's so young, she won't survive on her own." at this point, Fantine could no longer hold back her sobs. "She's my life, and I'm the only family she has!" she cried.
AdAstrα

Postby UncoordinatedPisces » April 30th, 2013, 6:39 am

Valjean reached out and put a comforting paw on Fantine's shoulder. Her words and her emotion were making him, a fully grown lion, tear up. Not wanting to make things worse, he held back his tears and gave the lioness a determined look. He felt obliged to help her now. This lioness needed him, and he wasn't going to turn away like many lions would of done.

"Cosette will live in my protection" he began, giving her a small smile. He lowered his stance,"Your cub will want for nothing". Jean wanted her final moments to be peaceful ones. There was one question that still remained that he hoped she could answer "Where is Cosette?"
UncoordinatedPisces
just an oddball

Postby AdAstrα » May 8th, 2013, 9:25 pm

Fantine stared at the lion in disbelief, unable, at first, to fully comprehend what it was he was saying. When she did, however, she smiled at him. Who was he, this angel sent from above who offered to save her daughter, her dear Cosette?

"Oh thank you!" she exclaimed, now crying tears of joy, "Thank you. You must go and get her as soon as you can. Just follow the narrow path heading north, until you reach a big rock. That'll be on your left. There are bushes surrounding it, and in one of these bushes Cosette will have made herself a den." She coughed again. She was tired now, barely able to keep her eyes open. Her breaths were heavy.

"I...I'm afraid I don't have long left." she whispered, more to herself than to Valjean. "This was not how I wanted to die. Not here. B-but...I suppose it doesn't really matter...if my child is safe. Oh yes, she will be. She will be..."
AdAstrα

Postby UncoordinatedPisces » May 28th, 2013, 1:51 pm

Valjean felt humbled by Fantine's gratitude, but finding and bringing up Cosette was the least he could do. Perhaps this would be good for him, too take a cub under his wing. He did not know what the outcome would be of this, but he wasn't going to dwell on the consequences right now. Jean listened attentively when she started to speak of how to find the cub; he didn't want to forget any of the directions.

He nodded, looking down to the ground for a moment. The poor creature. She was young, too young to die of disease.
"Would you like me to stay, until you are sleeping?" he questioned with a gentleness he was almost unaware of.
UncoordinatedPisces
just an oddball

Return to Lion King Roleplaying