What are you thinking RIGHT NOW?

Fun and Games is a fun and zany place, but please remember to follow forum rules when posting. Things can become spammy, but please refrain from posting outright spam topics. Just ask a staff member if you have any questions!

Re: What are you thinking RIGHT NOW?

Postby SimbasMate » July 5th, 2017, 1:10 am

This place is like an archive now.
[quote="Amanda"]And just like that she vanished, like a fart in the wind.
[/quote]
sig by Regulus
SimbasMate
Queen of Hell

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

BB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/mes

Nickname(s): SM/Crystal
Telegram: @CatOverlord
Pride Points: 161

Postby Tora » July 5th, 2017, 1:58 am

Tis one SM. Tis one. ;)
Tora
Never Forget

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Always Remain Hopeful

Nickname(s): Tim; Torasaur; T-saur; Rora; Goku
Pride Points: 129

Postby FlipMode » July 7th, 2017, 1:58 pm

[quote="SimbasMate"]This place is like an archive now.[/quote]

It may not even be that soon from what I'm hearing.
well they say the sign of a brilliant artists is knowing when to put the brush down and walk away, I think it's time for MLK to close down the more I think about it. There's really not much point in Moka bleeding money into it every month when he doesn't have the time to really work on it further.
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Postby Azdgari » July 7th, 2017, 2:26 pm

Realistically, drawing activity hasn't really Moka's job; his role has always been technical. You don't need ACP access or even a green name to champion the place, try to recruit new members or galvanize current ones, etc.
Guess the Member with Kitva Hyperlink: show
"Hates me
Nothing but facts
Male"

"...Woeler?"

"ya"
Azdgari
big, wide turns

Pride Points: 114

Postby it means no worries » July 9th, 2017, 11:37 am

The new Assassin's Creed game is looking really promising imo-Shame Ubisoft is DLC wh**ing though.
it means no worries

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 63

Postby Azdgari » July 13th, 2017, 3:42 am

So, jobs really aren't all that great are they?
"Hates me
Nothing but facts
Male"

"...Woeler?"

"ya"
Azdgari
big, wide turns

Postby Squeely » July 13th, 2017, 1:29 pm

^From an outsider's perspective, they seem awful. Especially the fact that retail workers are just supposed to take crap from customers and there's nothing they can do back. And the fact that the things people are passionate about and enjoy don't translate to work more often than not. And when you have a job, it takes all your time away from pursuing your passions.
Ask me anything!#TeamFemale on the Gender Race

Squeely

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Sassy cub

Nickname(s): Debby, Debs, Deebee, Cap'n Squeels McDeebee
Telegram: @Squeely
Pride Points: 49

Postby WildSimba » July 13th, 2017, 10:42 pm

[quote="Azdgari"]Realistically, drawing activity hasn't really Moka's job; his role has always been technical. You don't need ACP access or even a green name to champion the place, try to recruit new members or galvanize current ones, etc.[/quote]

But if the admin doesn't work on driving activity, then they can't expect activity to come. It's as simple as that, the technical aspect is great and important, but it doesn't matter if it doesn't pick up. Kind of like with animation, you can put a billion dollars into making the film, but it won't matter if it's not advertised and if people just simply don't care to see it.

However this is a tiny TLK site, don't think he ever intended it to even get as active as it once did. If he wanted the site to survive, he'd had several ways of marketing the site on a backlog (most sites that get big or want to get big, generally have a marketing team set up). Honestly, I don't think there's anything at this point, not even anything that Moka can do to drive up activity. The best thing to do at this point would just be to archive it so that people who have loved this site for so many years can look back at old posts and reminisce. Other than that, we'd just be throwing money or effort onto a already very much dead horse.
"There are you, you drive like a demon from station to station," - David Bowie
WildSimba
Fan the Flames

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Ain't it Funny how it happens

Nickname(s): WS, David
Telegram: Ask me through PM
Pride Points: 122

Postby Azdgari » July 13th, 2017, 11:15 pm

[quote="WildSimba"]
But if the admin doesn't work on driving activity, then they can't expect activity to come.
[/quote]
Well, it did for the last 6 or 7 years, didn't it? If Moka was super involved in keeping up activity over that time, I guess I wasn't privy to it.

[quote]If he wanted the site to survive, he'd had several ways of marketing the site on a backlog (most sites that get big or want to get big, generally have a marketing team set up). Honestly, I don't think there's anything at this point, not even anything that Moka can do to drive up activity.[/quote]
Really? I've been on fan forums for a long long time (whaddup OG InvisionFree squad) and have staffed/run no shortage of them myself, and dedicated marketing/external advertising teams are a rarity in my experience. Maybe in the early phases, sure, you make a concerted effort to reach out to other fan sites to draw users, but most forums self-propel once they hit critical mass.

I guess my thinking is that Moka is, and has always been, technical. Were I him, I would assume that the role of moderators/non-technical staff is, at least in part, to drum up activity, think up/execute innovative forum activities, etc (I don't think moderating is actually particularly time consuming, assuming the staff is appropriately well populated for the activity level). I mean, no offense, but if the green name is supposed to imply community leadership, why haven't I seen a green name post in the last, what, month?

In general, though, I do take your point. Admins typically function as leaders. But I don't think Moka has really played that role as long as I've been here, so I don't associate him with it. To the point about archiving, I suppose it all depends on whether or not Moka is willing to continue to finance the place and keep the lights on.
"Hates me
Nothing but facts
Male"

"...Woeler?"

"ya"
Azdgari
big, wide turns

Postby FlipMode » July 14th, 2017, 2:17 am

Moka drove away most of the active users so he might as well pull the plug. It wouldn't hurt to let someone else try to run it, though. Even if they screw up, the site will end up closing either way, right?
FlipMode

Pride Points: 266

PreviousNext

Return to Fun and Games