What are you thinking RIGHT NOW?

Fun and Games is a fun and zany place, but please remember to follow forum rules when posting. Things can become spammy, but please refrain from posting outright spam topics. Just ask a staff member if you have any questions!

Re: What are you thinking RIGHT NOW?

Postby Regulus » May 2nd, 2018, 2:17 am

[quote]Investing some time (i.e. a year) in a less-than-ideal role that's at least in your field strikes me as a much better long-term investment[/quote]

Actually, I want to make something clear. I've been looking into doing this for months now.

I've been willing to work anywhere and for any amount of pay, so long as it's in the field of engineering. When I say I haven't had luck finding a job, I don't just mean I've applied to jobs that are specifically what I want to do. I've applied to jobs in so many industries, like construction and manufacturing to even web development and IT. I've applied to low-level maintenance and technician positions, in addition to engineering internships and CAD positions... among so many others.

And still, nothing.

So, that's really not a option. I'm afraid I may have to abandon the field of engineering in its entirety--that's something, I'm sure you can understand, that is rather heartbreaking for me.

I may be able to come back to engineering after a year or so of working an uneducated/unskilled blue-collar job. But I would still lack engineering experience in that case. I do not think I would be able to compete with new grads that had internships. Experience beats no experience, but relevant industry experience comes in above all else.

There's a lot more I could say, but I'd actually kind of rather not. So, I'll compromise and put the rambling in a spoiler tag.

Spoiler: show
I've thought about this a lot this week... and I know, in my heart, what I want to do. It may not be the smartest thing to do. It may not be the path most people take, for various reasons. But, I'm leaning towards following some advice I got many years ago, from people who knew me very well.

When I think about it, I've begun to realize something. I may have misunderstood what engineering jobs are actually like. I think--considering my personality--I've been bombing interviews for a very simple reason. I'm being myself, and in doing so, I'm making it very clear that I'm really not the ideal candidate. In fact, hiring someone like me could be a very costly mistake for a company. I don't have the experience to really be useful, and I would overthink any work I'm given that would allow me to obtain that experience.

Graduate school isn't for everyone, but it very well could be for someone like me. My goal for my career isn't to become a manager or to work my way up a corporate ladder. My goal is to become an expert in a very specialized field, and spend my day at a desk chipping away at problems no one else wants to deal with. It's very likely that a person like me needs a graduate degree to actually be useful to a company. And besides, working towards one would put me in a position to pursue internships, as well as part-time jobs that I would actually enjoy--like working as a TA, research assistant, or on-campus tutor.

Sure, call me crazy. But if you'd asked me if I wanted to go to grad school when I was 10 or 15 years old, I would've said yes. If you'd have asked me if I wanted to do research, I'd have said yes. It's an extra two years of my life without a real, professional job, but it opens up opportunities, and it's where I personally feel I would belong.

I'd have to be pretty serious about engineering to be considering this, and I would have to be pretty confident in my career path to that to think that it's worth it. But I am. I am both those things. Each day, I find myself hoping more and more that I can get into grad school. I find myself thinking more and more, that perhaps this job search struggle is actually a blessing in disguise.

Guys, I know there is truth to what you said. I will take this advice to heart, and I will get a part-time job regardless of whether or not I make it to grad school. I understand that adding more education to someone with the problem of all education and no experience isn't necessarily the best idea. But that's why I have to make it the best idea. Often, life isn't about choosing the best thing to do. It's about choosing a thing to do, and using what's available to make that the best of it. So, unless something changes between now and then, and unless I don't get accepted, grad school is what I'm going to do. And this time, I'm hell bent on getting it right.
Regulus
Is differentiable...

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

But convergence is not guaranteed.

Nickname(s): Reg, Regs, Last Person to Post
Pride Points: 206

Postby mamaprince » May 2nd, 2018, 4:21 pm

He came back sorta! I vow to never mess this up again. :D
Sig by Ninven on DA.
mamaprince
Future Storm chaser

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

It's the wonder of nature baby!

Nickname(s): Mp, Stormchaser Rachel, Rachel Storm
Pride Points: 18

Postby SimbasMate » May 3rd, 2018, 12:42 am

God damn this heat is annoying. I hope it cools off soon. :(
[quote="Amanda"]And just like that she vanished, like a fart in the wind.
[/quote]
sig by Regulus
SimbasMate
Queen of Hell

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

BB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/mes

Nickname(s): SM/Crystal
Telegram: @CatOverlord
Pride Points: 161

Postby SwagaliciousXXX » May 4th, 2018, 2:31 pm

It's May the Fourth and there's not a single new Star Wars X Lion King meme on this website... :down:
“Arthur, I finally have my answer to your question, “Why do you think birds fly?” Birds fly because they want to fly. They don’t need a reason to, even if their wings snap and doom them to die. They don’t fly for anyone’s benefit. They don’t fly because they were ordered to. They fly because they want to fly and for no other reason!”
SwagaliciousXXX
It'sOverAnakin!IHaveTheTopLine

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

YOU UNDERESTIMATE MY POWER!

Nickname(s): Swag
Pride Points: 13

Postby SimbasMate » May 6th, 2018, 7:53 pm

Looking forward to having some wine tonight. :) Been a while since I let myself really relax.
[/quote]
sig by Regulus
SimbasMate
Queen of Hell

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby mamaprince » May 7th, 2018, 9:32 pm

Life is really hard... :(
Sig by Ninven on DA.
mamaprince
Future Storm chaser

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

It's the wonder of nature baby!

Nickname(s): Mp, Stormchaser Rachel, Rachel Storm
Pride Points: 18

Postby SimbasMate » May 8th, 2018, 2:38 am

That FedEx better get here lickety split tomorrow..
[/quote]
sig by Regulus
SimbasMate
Queen of Hell

Postby Tora » May 10th, 2018, 3:35 pm

So ready to finish school today. :)
Tora
Never Forget

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Always Remain Hopeful

Nickname(s): Tim; Torasaur; T-saur; Rora; Goku
Pride Points: 129

Postby SimbasMate » May 12th, 2018, 9:14 pm

Maybe the only way to lose this is to not eat anything, or at least much less..
[/quote]
sig by Regulus
SimbasMate
Queen of Hell

Postby Kiana » May 12th, 2018, 10:40 pm

Tired. A day off, this past week and last week has been mentally and physically hectic I just need a breeeaaaak.

Huge thank you to Carl Skywalker for this amazing signature! And all rights go to him for the buttons

ImageImageImage
Kiana
I Don't Need an Avatar

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I AM the Avatar

Telegram: @Miluca24
Pride Points: 19

PreviousNext

Return to Fun and Games