What are you thinking RIGHT NOW?

Fun and Games is a fun and zany place, but please remember to follow forum rules when posting. Things can become spammy, but please refrain from posting outright spam topics. Just ask a staff member if you have any questions!

Re: What are you thinking RIGHT NOW?

Postby Stormy » February 13th, 2020, 11:38 pm

Just noticed Toy Story 3 turns 10 years old in June. What?
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 700 character limit.
View more smilies BBCode is ON [img] is ON [flash] is OFF [url] is ON Smilies are ON
Stormy
Custom Title:

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Custom Text:

Pride Points: 14

Postby Elton John » February 14th, 2020, 3:18 am

[quote="Abyssal_S"]Just noticed Toy Story 3 turns 10 years old in June. What?[/quote]

the first one turns 25 this year. I remember seeing it in theaters when it was new, the first feature length cgi movie. some parts of the cgi hold up really well thanks to the lighting. the human models? not so much...
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Postby Stormy » February 14th, 2020, 3:27 am

Yeah... Andy and Sid don’t look so pretty.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 700 character limit.
View more smilies BBCode is ON [img] is ON [flash] is OFF [url] is ON Smilies are ON
Stormy
Custom Title:

Custom Text:

Postby MeerkatOnTheMoon » February 14th, 2020, 1:47 pm

Yes, the first one turns 25 this year. It was released a year after "The Lion King", I think.
The Lion King III: Hidden Kingdom
Now available to read!
https://m.fanfiction.net/s/14288564/1/The-Lion-King-3-Hidden-Kingdom
MeerkatOnTheMoon
We need a new motto.

Let's get going!

Nickname(s): Jules
Pride Points: 13

Postby Elton John » February 14th, 2020, 4:02 pm

Yeah.

It was the movie that slowly killed traditional hand drawn animation at theaters. As good as it was, it killed many careers of veteran animators who couldn’t transition to cgi. In the past 10 years only a handful of movies, East or West were traditional animation. Outside of Ghibli Japan mostly moved on to digital animation for 2D stuff and most 2D features in America like spongebob and teen titans go to the movies were digital. There was Ernest and Celestine which was gorgeous but also the exception, it was done the old way.

Ghibli was the last Japanese studio that still animated the old way when every other anime studio moved on to digital 2D or cgi.

Digital animation has gotten better in the past 20 years but still looks crap compared to Snow White, Bambi, the old Fliescher Superman shorts..

Though, it is unfair to blame it all on Toy Story. Most 2D movies by Disney after The Lion King were not nearly as popular and something like Lilo and Stitch is mainly popular because of Stitch. He sells merch by the truckloads everywhere. If someone argued he was Disneys most popular character worldwide I wouldn’t argue against them.

CGI movies now look utterly gorgeous compared to their start but I think the best of the 2D stuff from Disney, Ghibli, Don Bluth and whatnot topple them.
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Postby Stormy » February 14th, 2020, 4:16 pm

While things like Toy Story films and Frozen are beautifully made, something about traditional feels.. better for me. They both take lots of hard work to be done though. So not to take away from CGI of course. But I always knew Toy Story was a bit after LK because I remember the car scene where Hakuna Matata was played as the music in the car. Though I wonder, didn’t Disney take Pixar AFTER Toy Story 1 and 2? Like 2006? So was Disney always included in the original Toy Story product?
Stormy
Custom Title:

Custom Text:

Postby MeerkatOnTheMoon » February 14th, 2020, 5:30 pm

Agree with you all on the 2D magic. Those were the golden years of animation. “The Princess and the Frog” was stunningly made and promoted diversity. Too bad it got lost in a sea of 3D and CGI movies. Still a gem, though.

I forgot about the year Disney took Pixar. But their names have always been placed side by side on the posters I think. “Disney and Pixar”. Don Bluth’s 2D films were amazing, including “Anastasia” that combined both 2D and 3D.
The Lion King III: Hidden Kingdom
Now available to read!
https://m.fanfiction.net/s/14288564/1/The-Lion-King-3-Hidden-Kingdom
MeerkatOnTheMoon
We need a new motto.

Let's get going!

Nickname(s): Jules
Pride Points: 13

Postby Stormy » February 14th, 2020, 8:44 pm

The Princess and the Frog is beautifully animated as a 2D film. Just gorgeous. Wasn’t this the last theatrical 2D animated film released by Disney? I know it definitely wasn’t the last shown, due to TLK being re-released in 2011 for 3D. But actually last made for the year it was released.

Speaking of which, I always wonder if Disney will ever do more theatrical re-releases of their 2D films like they did with TLK two times already. I don’t think TLK will get another, since it has been done multiple times now, and with the remake and a POSSIBLE sequel to the remake, I think they won’t risk getting people sick of the franchise if they haven’t already. but what about the other Disney renaissance films? Are they just too tired out by this point? The more I think about it, it seems extremely unlikely now that Disney+ is a thing.
Stormy
Custom Title:

Custom Text:

Postby DGFone » February 14th, 2020, 10:07 pm

Winnie The Pooh (2011) was the last Dinsey 2D animated movie, so a little over a year after Princess and the Frog.

Also, Just noticed today that on my Zootopia DVD/Blu Ray box, it quotes a review as "...the best movie in 20 years..." (from Disney). Funny how when Zootopia came out, if that review claimed '25 years' instead, it would have been covering the period The Lion King came out, thus making the quote wrong. Also, March 4th is going to be when Zootopia came out in the US... 4 years ago. I saw it on release day by pure accident (and what a glorious happy little accident it was!)
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby Stormy » February 14th, 2020, 10:15 pm

Reminds me of how one of Frozen trailers said “The greatest Disney animated event since The Lion King”. Almost as if they’re denying their animated films after TLK lol. But hey, they weren’t wrong in terms of success. The movie was such a hit. It’s like some say it’s basically The Lion King of this generation in terms of it’s success.
This one in particular at 1:40. https://youtu.be/FLzfXQSPBOg

I actually did not see Zootopia in theaters. I forgot why I didn’t. But when it was available afterwards, (within the same year) one of my friends told me it was a good movie, so I watched it with them and I ended up enjoying it.
Stormy
Custom Title:

Custom Text:

PreviousNext

Return to Fun and Games