TLK in the Dutch newspaper: Simba as popular cat name

TLK in the Dutch newspaper: Simba as popular cat name

Postby thanigraphics » April 3rd, 2010, 10:42 pm

I was reading the online newspaper of Holland, and there was an article about the most popular cat and dog names. Simba was mentioned as a popular cat name, and even The Lion King was mentioned as inspiration for pet names, together with other Disney movies!

Here's the article in Dutch (I have translated it in English, the English version is right under this Dutch article)

Nederlandse poes heet Tommie of Minoes
DEN HAAG - Tommie en Minoes zijn momenteel de populairste namen voor katten en poezen in Nederland. Dat blijkt uit een onderzoek naar de 85.000 namen in Petbase, de grootste huisdierendatabank van Nederland, waarover het blad Onze Taal deze week bericht.

driekwart van de namen in de databank zijn voor katten. Dat komt doordat katten als huisdier in Nederland veruit in de meerderheid zijn. Andere zeer populaire kattennamen zijn Tijgertje en Simba.

Bij hondennamen staan Max (voor een mannetje) en Luna (voor een vrouwtje) op de eerste plaats. Daarna volgen Spike en Diesel (voor mannen) of Lady en Daisy (voor vrouwen) op de tweede en derde plaats.

In totaal telt de databank ruim 19.000 verschillende huisdiernamen. Uit het onderzoek blijkt dat katten vaak namen krijgen vanwege uiterlijke kenmerken, zoals Moortje, Sokje of Fluffy.

Veel dierennamen blijken ook geïnspireerd op fictieve soortgenoten. Zo vindt de naam Tommie zijn oorsprong in veel gevallen bij de bekende tekenfilmkat die doorlopend achter de muis Jerry aan rent en is de naam Minoes afkomstig uit het gelijknamige boek van Annie M.G. Schmidt over een kattenvrouwtje.

Ook blijken Disneyfilms een grote bron van inspiratie te vormen. De veel gebruikte poezennaam Simba komt van de hoofdpersoon uit de tekenfilm The Lion King. Maar nog vaker leveren Disneyverhalen hondennamen op, zoals Goofy, Rakker, Pluto en Lady (uit de film Lady en de Vagebond).

translated:

Tommie and Minous are the most popular names for cats in Holland, according to Petbase, a database for names. 3/4 of the names registred there are cat names. That's because cats are a pet majority in Holland. Other popular cat names are Tigger and Simba.

Popular dog names are Max (male) and Luna (female) After that Spike and Diesel are popular male names, Lady and Daisy are popular female names.

Many pet names are based on fictive fellow dogs and cats. Tommie is based on Tom from Tom and Jerry, Minous is based on a character based on a Dutch popular childrens book.

Disney movies seem to be a great inspiration for pet names. The commonly used name Simba is from the main character of the disney movie The Lion King, but even more often Disney movies are an inspiration for dog names, like Goofy, Pluto and Lady, from Lady and the Tramp.
verliezer in een ongelijk gevecht....
ImageImageImage
vote for my site: go to http://www.leeuwenkoning.webs.com and click the voting button at the bottom of the page
thanigraphics

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

uh-oh, banana time!

Pride Points: 1

Re: TLK in the Dutch newspaper: Simba as popular cat name

Postby FlipMode » April 3rd, 2010, 11:04 pm

If I had my way, i'd add to that statistic by calling my cat Simba :D.
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Postby thanigraphics » April 3rd, 2010, 11:07 pm

I'm actually having a new cat in 7 weeks, and I'm thinking about giving it a TLK name as well, but not Simba (everyone does that already :mega: ) I was thinking about Kiara if it's a female, or Chaka if it's a male :tojo:
verliezer in een ongelijk gevecht....
ImageImageImage
vote for my site: go to http://www.leeuwenkoning.webs.com and click the voting button at the bottom of the page
thanigraphics

uh-oh, banana time!

Pride Points: 1

Postby SilverSimba01 » April 4th, 2010, 3:02 pm

WOW, is incredible that pet owners name their pets using names from Disney, amazing
"I'm always willing to help you, even if you need someone to speak to"
SilverSimba01
I see good in everyone

"I wouldn't go down without fighting"

Nickname(s): Snowy, Radio, SS01,
Pride Points: 20

Postby PrincessKiara » April 5th, 2010, 7:59 pm

:lol: That is so cool! I have 4 cats, and 3 of them are named after TLK characters: Nala, Kiara and Sarafina. I have one male cat too, his name is Domino. I didn’t feel like calling him Simba because "everyone else" does it.. And the names Mufasa, Scar and Kovu... they just didn’t fit him. :P
PrincessKiara
I`m no super genius. Or are I?

Miles To Go Before I Sleep

Nickname(s): Solle
Pride Points: 40

Postby Ushujaa » April 5th, 2010, 8:02 pm

that doesn't surprise me actually :lol: i would call my cat simba given the opportunity
Spoiler: show

thank you Flip for the community sig
Ushujaa
Dreamer

Don't heroes have the right to dream?

Nickname(s): Shujaa, Fluffy, Squishy, Kopa, Usher,Krypto
Pride Points: 24

Postby PrincessKiara » April 6th, 2010, 3:02 pm

It’s awesome how TLK has affected naming of cats :lol:
PrincessKiara
I`m no super genius. Or are I?

Miles To Go Before I Sleep

Nickname(s): Solle
Pride Points: 40

Postby Azdgari » April 6th, 2010, 3:34 pm

I will absolutely name my cat Simba. That's the best idea I've heard all day. =P
Guess the Member with Kitva Hyperlink: show
"Hates me
Nothing but facts
Male"

"...Woeler?"

"ya"
Azdgari
big, wide turns

Pride Points: 114

Postby Simbaholikov » April 6th, 2010, 3:43 pm

That's really awesome! :)
My cat unfortunatly doesn't suit any TLK names, he's black and white, lol ^^
Simbaholikov

Return to Beyond The Lion King