Rhythm of the Pride Lands

Postby DGFone » September 19th, 2019, 5:07 am

I am generally surprised at how little people know about this album, even here on MLK it is not as well known. How many times have I seen on here something along the lines of "He Lives in You was the best song created for TLK II!.."

Well, actually... Okay, and no, I did not create this topic because I suddenly felt like raging against those who really ought to know better.

I personally discovered the album in the second half of 2010 or so, and have been listening to it on and off since then. Almost non-stop early on, then for the past couple of years ago almost non at all, then about half a year or so I started to listen to it a lot more often again. But not really obsessing over it like I did when I first found it - out of habit, it became my go-to playlist when I want to relax (translation: indulge in some unashamed nostalgia) for 10 minutes or so and boot up some Halo multiplayer(Halo 1 that is, fellow kids. Yeah, I know). Yeah... Halo and The Lion King. Don't really go together, but for me they are very closely associated by now because of my history with the two in the 2011-2012 timeframe.

And it's not like the two don't exactly go together. As I like to explain to my friends, the Circle of Life could just as easily apply to the much faster spawn-kill-die-repeat cycle of online mayhem. But what I found I really liked was to play the 'race' gametype, and when the faster beat of the drums with It's Time kick it in, with Warthogs driving past each other, at least for me, it really works.

Actually, speaking of It's Time. While it's not my favorite song on the album, it's only because most of the album is just that good, and not because I don't like it. Just today, I unintentionally had it playing on single repeat for a good four hours or so while I CADed away on some grad school work.

So I felt like I really wanted to create a topic about Rhythm of the Pride Lands. Like often with these longer topics that I create, I like to leave them with a couple of questions for you guys to hopefully stir up a conversation:

What is your opinion on Rhythm of the Pride Lands? Do you prefer it's versions of songs compared to later official remakes, such as Lala turning into Endless Night, or even more famously, Lea Halalela being rewritten into Shadowland? I also always make sure to reorder the album so that Lea Halalela comes second, right after He Lives in You, and leaving the rest as is. Does that count as making the album worse or better in terms of song arrangement? Obviously, I just told you guys my opinion on this by simply asking the question.

Or a question that I got curious about the other day. Take a look at the cover again. While not canon to the original movie (remember that RotPL was made just after the first movie came out), if there was a scene where Simba is simply running alone across the savanna, where would it fit into the movie? I always feel like it goes well with the 'Busa' scene when Simba returns home, which also is a song in the album, but that's also kind of a 'trivial solution' and an obvious link. Or, perhaps, more directly tied with the album itself, which song would best fit the scene of the cover? I personally think Lala fits the bill the best, considering it also is a remake of the original soundtracks' Under the Stars, which plays during the scene when Simba runs alone to chase after Rafiki in the night. (Across the wooden log right before Mufasa's ghost scene). But then again, this might be a tilted perspective due to watching the 'making of' video for this album, which can be found here on MLK.

So yes, quite the ramble topic. But I am genuinely curious about your guy's thoughts and opinions on this album.

Spoiler: show
I'm sure there's a very old topic about this somewhere on MLK already, but it's most likely already well down in the Elephant Graveyard. So I decided to create a new topic instead.
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Re: Rhythm of the Pride Lands

Postby Captain Cupcake » September 19th, 2019, 5:24 am

[quote="DGFone"]I personally think Lala fits the bill the best, considering it also is a remake of the original soundtracks' Under the Stars, which plays during the scene when Simba runs alone to chase after Rafiki in the night. (Across the wooden log right before Mufasa's ghost scene).[/quote]

The parts that Lebo M. sings are also derived from the softer renditions of the Busa motif used at the end of "Hyenas in the Pride Lands" and the beginning of "Remember Who You Are"/the "Under the Stars" edit.
Captain Cupcake
Hnnng...

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

HNNNGGGG!!!

Nickname(s): Master
Pride Points: 11

Postby Elton John » September 19th, 2019, 1:42 pm

I never knew this album existed until a few years back and thankfully, unlike the lion king 2 album it was easily purchasable on itunes.

He Lives In You is great and all but the cover of Hakuna Matata was my favorite part of the album.

(I wish the tlk2 album was on itunes.....)
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Postby Azdgari » September 20th, 2019, 3:14 am

Yeah, some really killer tracks on this record. He Lives In You, Lea, Busa, The Lion Sleeps Tonight have all been on my radar for a long time. The rhythm section on the standout tracks I believe all have the duo of Abe Laboriel (bass) and Simon Phillips (drums) who really just knock it out of the park. They've both got serious resumes and their work on the record goes beyond a foundation and really is fundamental to driving what Lebo does. Also, call me sacrilegious, but I think Shadowland is the more compelling track. The vocal performance is just so strong. Also, I've taken a lesson or two with the guy who wrote the drum book for the broadway show so I've listened to all that stuff a bazillion times.

Regarding the cover, I always thought it was Simba running across the desert while Busa plays? Am I wrong?

Finally, I'll take you snipers no radar on Hang 'em High any day of the week.
Guess the Member with Kitva Hyperlink: show
"Hates me
Nothing but facts
Male"

"...Woeler?"

"ya"
Azdgari
big, wide turns

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 114

Postby TheLionPrince » September 20th, 2019, 4:49 pm

Perhaps, your memory has failed you. The cover art of Simba running across the desert actually appeared in the film. It was played along with "Busa" right before Simba returned to the drought-stricken Pride Lands.

Anyway, I love Rhythm of the Pride Lands. If you love the use of African music in the film, then, I highly recommend you listen to the soundtrack. It has the complete recordings of the songs used in the film (such as "Busa" and "Lala") and some of the musical melodies are heard in the film such as "Lea Halalela".

"Busa" is my favorite song on the soundtrack as it's very inspirational and motivational to me. "Lea Halalela" is perhaps the best song on the soundtrack because it's very dramatic. You may not understand the Zulu lyrics, but the mood of the song has a sense of dramatic gravitas. Its conversion into the Broadway musical is still just as powerful, and it's the best of the new songs that was featured in the musical. "He Lives in You" is seriously good, and I don't think its use in The Lion King II really did it justice. I can understand for time constraints they had to abridge the song as you can't make Rafiki holding up Kiara interesting for very long.

"It's Time" and "One by One" are very uplifting and encouraging. "Kube" and "Noyana" are probably the closest when it comes to traditional African spirituals. I like Lebo's version of "The Lion Sleeps Tonight", but I will always prefer the version by the Tokens. "Warthog Rhapsody" is probably the weakest song of the soundtrack. I'm glad it was replaced by "Hakuna Matata" in the first film. It's nice on its own, but it's vastly surpassed by the other songs on the soundtrack.
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Postby MeerkatOnTheMoon » September 22nd, 2019, 11:09 am

My family bought this as a companion to The Lion King soundtrack back in 1994. I was five back then and seeing the film at the cinema was such an inspiring cinematic experience for me I had to explore more about the world of The Lion King and also Africa. Rhythm of the Pride Lands gave me that extension I needed as far as music goes. I just love how lively "Kube" is. "Warthog Rhapsody" is another favorite of mine. It's really great as a deleted scene, though I agree that "Hakuna Matata" is superior and fits the film better. "Lea Halalela", "The Lion Sleeps Tonight", "He Lives in You" (which I'm glad they used it in the "Simba's Pride" opening) and "Busa" are all powerful. "Lala" is very emotive too, and it's currently playing as I'm typing this. :)
The Lion King III: Hidden Kingdom
Now available to read!
https://m.fanfiction.net/s/14288564/1/The-Lion-King-3-Hidden-Kingdom
MeerkatOnTheMoon
We need a new motto.

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Let's get going!

Nickname(s): Jules
Pride Points: 13

Return to Beyond The Lion King