Page 1 of 1

Why is there more cub simba merch compared to...

PostPosted: November 20th, 2018, 10:41 pm
by Elton John
adult simba even tho both are in the first movie almost the same amount of time? and cub simba is only seen briefly in other tlk media.

my best guess is that little simba is more marketable for merch cuz he’s so cute and fuzzy and meow meow meow’

any other guesses?

Re: Why is there more cub simba merch compared to...

PostPosted: November 21st, 2018, 9:35 am
by SimbasGuard
What you said basically hits the nail on the head. Plus I suspect Disney is still targeting child fans of The Lion King. They figure us Adult fans would only want to by merch for the children in our lives. Which is sad because Disney must realize that The Lion King Franchise has plenty of adult fans. :sad: The only things that I have seen as being targeted at us adult fans are the special features on The most recent Blu-Ray release. (the cut scene of The Be Prepared Reprise).

Re: Why is there more cub simba merch compared to...

PostPosted: November 21st, 2018, 3:15 pm
by DGFone
Elton John wrote:my best guess is that little simba is more marketable for merch cuz he’s so cute and fuzzy and meow meow meow’

any other guesses?

You'be hit this right on...
SimbasGuard wrote:What you said basically hits the nail on the head.

Dang it, not only did you reply earlier, but you used the exact same words that I did! :x

But yes, I think the merchandise is meant to appeal more to kids than adults. While you do have the collectors and enthusiasts who get just about everything they can, and being adults having the means to collect merch, their numbers are too small compared to the one-off buys parents getting things for their kids.

And as for adults without kids? When was the last time you bought some TLK merchandise?

Re: Why is there more cub simba merch compared to...

PostPosted: November 22nd, 2018, 4:38 am
by SimbasGuard
DGFone wrote:And as for adults without kids? When was the last time you bought some TLK merchandise?


I bought A Lion King Baby Blanket (Featuring Baby Simba And Baby Nala) for my Great-Niece 8-)

The Last Lion King Merchandise was the most recent Blu-Ray Release of The Lion King. I don't think that counts as merchandise.

Although if Disney would release more adult sized apparel (That was affordable) I would buy it.

If Disney would release an actual CD of Vol. 2 of Lion Guard music I would buy it, but they opted for just the digital release.

The next Series of Lion Guard Blind Bags never even came to my local Walmart :sad:

Re: Why is there more cub simba merch compared to...

PostPosted: November 23rd, 2018, 9:53 pm
by PridelandsPhantom
The cubs have the cuteness factor going for them. Little kids relate to the cubs because the cubs love to play, are curious, energetic, and innocent :). The cubs are also smaller making plushies easier to make. Anthromorpism makes the cubs equivalent to about a 4-7 year old kid. :cool5:

Re: Why is there more cub simba merch compared to...

PostPosted: November 23rd, 2018, 9:56 pm
by PridelandsPhantom
Piggybacking on someone else’s reply about the only Lion King merchandise I’ve seen targeting adults has to do with the Broadway show, and honestly I don’t like it much :down:

Re: Why is there more cub simba merch compared to...

PostPosted: December 6th, 2018, 11:15 am
by MalibuTrashDog
DGFone wrote:And as for adults without kids? When was the last time you bought some TLK merchandise?


I am a 29 year old adult without children and I am constantly buying TLK and other merch like Pokemon for me, myself and I. Your argument is invalid.

Re: Why is there more cub simba merch compared to...

PostPosted: December 6th, 2018, 11:24 am
by Captain Cupcake
MalibuTrashDog wrote:
DGFone wrote:And as for adults without kids? When was the last time you bought some TLK merchandise?


I am a 29 year old adult without children and I am constantly buying TLK and other merch like Pokemon for me, myself and I. Your argument is invalid.


No, it just means you're an outlier. His point is that adults who purchase toys for themselves are in the minority, so Disney isn't going to go out of their way to adjust their products towards their tastes over what they believe children prefer.

Re: Why is there more cub simba merch compared to...

PostPosted: December 10th, 2018, 5:52 am
by Lynx
There's so many shirts targeted toward women I'd like as a man too. Mostly 90s styled shirts too :(