Disneycember - The Lion King sequels

Disneycember - The Lion King sequels

Postby TheLionPrince » December 18th, 2016, 8:01 pm

If you've been following Doug Walker (and his altar ego the Nostalgia Critic), throughout this December, he's been reviewing the Disney direct-to-video sequels and midquels. So, here are his thoughts on The Lion King II and The Lion King 1½ (or The Lion King 3 for some of you):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yELtvbtt3l8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2QQrAzIy7A

(For some reason, the BBCode guide for placing YouTube links in my post wasn't working for me like it did in the past.)
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Re: Disneycember - The Lion King sequels

Postby Elton John » December 18th, 2016, 10:01 pm

Watching the reviews reminds me of my strong hatred for the guy.

Admittedly some of that hatred is just me thinking that the Nostalgia Chick, Lindsay, has far better videos yet isn't half as popular.

Part of my hatred stems from how much of a douche the nostalgia critic is.

But to be fair he's not as hyperactive as a lot of popular web 2.0 personalities. I still like the angry video game nerd more, mostly because his monster madness videos are great.

His tlk2 video was ok until the kimba comparison. It's not edgy or funny anymore, it's just annoying.

Speaking of Lindsay she actually had a decent arguement as to why the plagarism accusations don't matter.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nlJvijHKmnQ

3:20 seconds in, it isn't super in-depth but it is somewhat compelling...warning, she uses naughty language from time to time so ....
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Postby FlipMode » December 18th, 2016, 11:31 pm

I had problems trying to embed a youtube video before as well (plz don't take that out of context!)

I actually like Doug Walker, he's a pretty decent guy outside of his character, I thought his review on TLK 2 was fair enough. Like he said, its a fairly good film and that's about it but that's what people should have been expecting from it anyway. I mean that film really does stand out IMO as one of the rare times a direct to video Disney sequel has even come close to the legacy of its original.

Like how many people know there was a Hunchback sequel? Not many I bet. But the existence of TLK 2 is an accepted thing even if not everyone has watched it, that's enough alone to make it stand out from the others I think.

And yeah I get that the Kimba thing is getting old now but I mean, things don't stop being true just because they are getting old and a bit overdone.
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Postby Elton John » December 18th, 2016, 11:46 pm

Truth? What is that truth?

According to a recent interview from one of the directors of the film (roger allers I think?) he hadn't even heard of Kimba until they started promoting the movie in Japan.

Maybe a few people working on the film slipped some things in hoping no one would notice. Maybe.

As far as the real truth, we will likely never know. Was tlk originally a kimba adaptation that got shot down? Did the directors and scriptwriters blatantly steal ideas from tezuka? Or was it all just coincidences?

It's not like kimba was completely original. A lot of it is based off Disneys own Bambi.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Captain Cupcake » December 19th, 2016, 12:19 am

The truth is that it's just a messy situation where a lot of "evidence" is just downright ill-informed nonsense or usually has some explanation behind them.

It's possible that some inspiration was taken and some little nods were made, but people have often exaggerated things over the years and began spreading misinformation, such as TLK stealing the entire plot and scenes, even though a number of similar sequences compared over the years are taken out of context and are actually somewhat different (such as Kimba never actually dangling off of a cliff, but trying not fall into a hole with spikes at the bottom,
Spoiler: show
or the lion cloud imagery just being a formation in the sky to represent Kimba himself passing on, and not actually being a ghost)

Not to mention the entire concepts behind these two franchises. People try to pass it off as TLK stealing the whole idea, even though everyone and their mother is familiar with the "King of the Jungle" misnomer/trope and should be well aware of the fact that it predates Kimba. Kimba and TLK are both just attempts to play with that very idea. The original title of Kimba is flat out called "Jungle Emperor," an obvious nod to the moniker Westerners gave to lions in the first place.
Captain Cupcake
Hnnng...

HNNNGGGG!!!

Nickname(s): Master
Pride Points: 11

Postby Alexterri1 » January 15th, 2017, 8:36 pm

[quote="Elton John"]Watching the reviews reminds me of my strong hatred for the guy.

Admittedly some of that hatred is just me thinking that the Nostalgia Chick, Lindsay, has far better videos yet isn't half as popular.

Part of my hatred stems from how much of a douche the nostalgia critic is.

But to be fair he's not as hyperactive as a lot of popular web 2.0 personalities. I still like the angry video game nerd more, mostly because his monster madness videos are great.

His tlk2 video was ok until the kimba comparison. It's not edgy or funny anymore, it's just annoying.

Speaking of Lindsay she actually had a decent arguement as to why the plagarism accusations don't matter.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nlJvijHKmnQ

3:20 seconds in, it isn't super in-depth but it is somewhat compelling...warning, she uses naughty language from time to time so ....[/quote]

Yeah, Doug Walker used to be funny, but now he's just annoying and unfunny. I agree that Lindsey Ellis should be more popular then she is, especially considering how her videos are a million times better. Whenever someone accuses TLK of ripping off Kimba I always think of her rebuttal.
What is the difference between a cat and a comma? One has claws at the end of its paws, and the other is a pause at the end of a clause :D
Alexterri1
Queen of the Pridelands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

We are One

Nickname(s): Alex
Pride Points: 6

Postby Ultra Fox » January 16th, 2017, 12:43 am

Doug actually ended up enjoying a few of the Disney sequels more than he (or even I) expected. He wasn't out to instantly hate them. I find his opinions interesting, but they don't in any way affect how much I enjoy his entertaining videos. Been a follower since 2009, and I still find him very funny.

I used to be annoyed by the Kimba and TLK comparisons. Honestly don't freaking care anymore lol. Doug is still funny and I don't go out of my way to find his or many other peoples' opinions annoying.

Also, TLK 2 is a pretty meh at best movie with some good elements. Agree on that.
Ultra Fox
lyING kInG!!!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

woRSt MoVIE!!!!!!!!!!!!! >:(

Nickname(s): meem machine >;)
Pride Points: 97

Postby Elton John » January 16th, 2017, 12:53 am

His humor consists of him blurting out overused catchphrases and pointing his fake gun and trying to shoot at things. And I thought my jokes were bad. Most of his best videos contain little to no jokes.

His demo reel videos from 2013 (or was it 2014?) were awful.

And after demo reel it felt like most of his passion was gone. Forced to bring back his nostalgia critic character
Elton John
I’m with you

Postby Ultra Fox » January 16th, 2017, 1:00 am

Demo Reel was bad. I think he was just trying to shake things up without real inspiration. His return to NC has been really good IMO.

And actually, the show has included more film analysis and not just jokes after the revival. Idk just my opinion, I still enjoy his videos.
Ultra Fox
lyING kInG!!!

woRSt MoVIE!!!!!!!!!!!!! >:(

Nickname(s): meem machine >;)
Pride Points: 97

Postby Elton John » January 16th, 2017, 1:08 am

I stopped being a regular viewer sometime in 2012? 2013? I was annoyed at his tlk video review, not so much because of the negativity towards the film itself - I don't expect him to like everything I do, but the smug, edgelord way he rubbed it was just offputting.

He made a few funny jokes. I like how he got some of the creators of animaniacs to do a video with him. Some of his editorial videos are legit. I'm glad he gave lindsay ellis a chance because she is just so amazing <3
Elton John
I’m with you

Next

Return to Beyond The Lion King