How Would the Pride Lands Monarchy Come to an End?

Re: How Would the Pride Lands Monarchy Come to an End?

Postby Soren » March 23rd, 2016, 11:17 pm

I don't think it would end, because that's not exactly how Lions work. They don't have elections and voting, and even though in TLK the characters act more like humans, I still don't think they would have the mental capacity to do things that you would do in a capitalist country, or even a constitutional monarchy. And even in the real world, the Lions are basically like Kings, and the Lionesses normally work together but sometimes they can fight over things such as food.

Of course, You could throw all this out the window if Lions and Lionessess (and other animals in the Pridelands) had the same mental capacity as humans!
:ono:
Chasing Cars Sig by SimbasMate

ImageImageImageImage
Mood buttons by Carl
Soren
One day...

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I may return.

Nickname(s): Hummingbird, Kiaraholic, Stranger, Dumbo, Balto
Pride Points: 31

Postby Braveheart » March 24th, 2016, 12:32 am

^Probably, but if you start mixing TLK lions with real lions and human idealisms, that's where it will get real messy. Real lions will have mutiple partners and Kovu & Simba would have fought for dominace,etc etc.

Next possible scenerio: The ruling lions failed to protect their pridelands and got overthrown by newer and powerful rival lions.

By the way, this thread would make a good comic idea.
ImageImageImageImage
Braveheart

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 28

Postby SimbaKovu » March 24th, 2016, 1:38 am

[quote="Braveheart"]
By the way, this thread would make a good comic idea.[/quote]

I've actually been considering developing an RP centered around this idea. Would you like to join it? :)
SimbaKovu

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Braveheart » March 24th, 2016, 3:03 am

[quote="SimbaKovu"]
I've actually been considering developing an RP centered around this idea. Would you like to join it? :)[/quote]

That depends on the premise and whoever that might be interested. You probably need a large cast of characters. RPs are good to explore abstract concepts really.
ImageImageImageImage
Braveheart

Pride Points: 28

Postby KentuckyWildcat » March 25th, 2016, 3:13 am

Given that there usually has to be reason to compel people (or in this case animals with some human emotions) to make such changes, I don't think it will end because that reason doesn't seem to exist.

The entire premise of this monarchy seems to come from the old saying about lions being "king of the jungle" and nothing more. As a result, there seems to be very little government structure that actually exists in TLK's universe. The lions, especially the king/queen, are expected to use their status at the top of the food chain to ensure that all the other species respect the Circle Of Life, and that's about the extent of it. There's no form of taxation depicted, nor do animals have to worry about any sort of monetary system in general. Similarly, the concept of war would be confined within each species without any multi-species alliances being forced into action by the unpopular decree of a lion monarch.

I could probably list other examples, but the bottom line is that a transition/revolution that replaced the lion monarchy with some form of representative government would likely only be necessitated by real-world concerns that simply don't exist to the characters of TLK. I don't think the current set up would be likely to go anywhere.
Come death. Come suffering. I will not live in fear. In this fleeting life where time escapes us, the path of least resistance is a slow quiet death. I'd rather burn out than fade away.
KentuckyWildcat
Mother don't you cry

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Hell don't need me

Pride Points: 7

Postby zerodix » April 27th, 2016, 12:34 pm

:lol: i lol'd
well maybe the zebras will start a revolution "zebra stripe back" and overthrow pride rock. then disney will bring out tlk 5: the zebra king, where a herbivore-aimed view of the circle of life is introduced and we see simba&co go veggie :P
missing the old deviantart...
zerodix
The Lion King remake

july 19th 2019

Pride Points: 19

Postby Soren » April 28th, 2016, 3:08 am

^ And then the humans take over?

ImageImageImageImage
Mood buttons by Carl
Soren
One day...

I may return.

Postby Amur_Tiger » April 28th, 2016, 9:28 am

A few notes probably worth considering when looking at the Lion Kingdom.

Before getting into the weeds on the form of government whether it's elected, authoritarian or otherwise you must first try and understand what sort of state it is. In modern times we usually start with the nation-state as a starting point for any discussion but when looking at a less advanced society it becomes important to recognize that they may be earlier on the evolution of states. To my eyes at least this places the Lion Kingdom firmly at the level of a small holding feudal lord. The lord provides protection for his/her subjects, settles disputes and in return is offered a portion of the produce of his/her subjects, which aligns pretty well with the role of the lions in TLK.

This also sheds some light on how relatively clever animals might eventually overthrow the Lion Kingdom, likely as not it would be incorporated into a larger state as the feudal lords of old were. The slowness of this process though also suggests that it's a stage that one can get stuck at.
Amur_Tiger

Pride Points: 9

Postby Soren » April 28th, 2016, 9:22 pm

[quote="SimbaNala+KovuKiara"]^ And then the humans take over?[/quote]

No wait, then the aliens would take over after the humans! :lol:

ImageImageImageImage
Mood buttons by Carl
Soren
One day...

I may return.

Previous

Return to Beyond The Lion King