BBC listed the top 100 american movies.

BBC listed the top 100 american movies.

Postby Elton John » July 22nd, 2015, 12:44 am

Critics from all over the world were polled

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20150720-the-100-greatest-american-films

The lion king as far as i could tell was the only animated movie to make the list.
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Re: BBC listed the top 100 american movies.

Postby Iberian » July 22nd, 2015, 1:15 am

Last edited by Iberian on October 10th, 2016, 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iberian

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 14

Postby DGFone » July 22nd, 2015, 1:23 am

All those old movies. :P

While I am glad that TLK made it onto the list, I do have a general feeling that the list was made by those stereotypical 'sirs' with monocles sipping on tea with a pinky out as they discuss which movies deserve to get on the list. Or as to put it in another way: if it was in black and white, it automatically had a 50% better chance of getting on the list.

Still, glad to see TLK on there!
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby Elton John » July 22nd, 2015, 1:30 am

If it was by tarentino it would be very violent and most of the time the animals would be having conversations about things you never knew you wanted to hear.

If kubrick directed it there would be more dark humor, there would be at least one scene with simba a la the twins from the shining or the reprogramming from a clockwork orange, and there would be a lot more...lewd imagery.

Well DGFone, I have seen a decent number of movies on the list and I can't disagree with them being there.

The only movie I really disagree with is 'birth of a nation' it was an important movie but not a good one at all plus it's incredibly racist and had a lot of bad consequences.
Elton John
I’m with you

Postby Ninaroja » July 22nd, 2015, 1:34 am

[quote="Elton John"]

If kubrick directed it there would be more dark humor, there would be at least one scene with simba a la the twins from the shining or the reprogramming from a clockwork orange, and there would be a lot more...lewd imagery.

[/quote]

I can imagine Simba's mental issues after his father's death would be a lot trippier and made a lot more prominent. Also I'm just imagining Scar going mad like Jack from the Shining :evil: Scary stuff!
Signature Graphic made by Simbasmate! Thanks a ton :cheese:

Fanfiction Q&A Tumblr
Ninaroja
Nee-nyah Row-hah (AKA KULCY)

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Simba is Love. Simba is Life.

Nickname(s): Kulcy, Lucy, Nina, Juicy, MLK Drama Detective ;)
Pride Points: 82

Postby TheLionPrince » July 22nd, 2015, 1:34 am

Aside from The Lion King, other animated film choices could have been Fantasia, Pinocchio, or Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. Outside of that, it's a pretty comprehensive, yet predictable list of American cinema with some inspired choices like The Magnificent Ambersons (which I am surprised is ranked that high), Heaven's Gate, McCabe & Mrs. Miller, and Nashville. I feel Apocalypse Now and Gone with the Wind are ranked too low, and I am also surprised that recent films like The Dark Knight, The Tree of Life, and 12 Years a Slave cracked the list whereas acclaimed films like There Will Be Blood and No Country for Old Men are left off. Citizen Kane, as I always knew, will always be ranked first.
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Postby Elton John » July 22nd, 2015, 1:40 am

If I had to choose any movie to be added to replace birth of a nation it would be bruce lees enter the dragon.

While not containing a complex narrative it is probably the best action movie ever made outside of the first two terminator movies.

It also made bruce lee THE iconic martial artist, and was a positive portrayal of asians at a time when 'breakfast at tiffanies' whitewashed them and made offensive jokes out of them.

I'd also include Scream and American Psycho for containing a lot of genre thrills while having great performances, sharp scripts, and a lot of dark humor.

I'd also include 'alien' for being the best horror film I have ever seen.
Elton John
I’m with you

Postby SimbasGuard » July 24th, 2015, 6:32 am

Quite an accomplishment for Lion King 8-)
My Avatar Was Made For Me By Thegeni99 Thank You So Much!

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride.
SimbasGuard
Guardian of the Pride Lands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride

Nickname(s): Anyone may shorten my name however they want.
Pride Points: 85

Postby SimbaPrescott » July 24th, 2015, 7:25 pm

I haven't even seen most of these movies. Disappointed that BTTF is so low, too. Awesome to see TLK there at least!

@DGFone - I was thinking the same thing! XD
Image is an Epic Mickey concept art. We could have had this in EM3. I still want it.
SimbaPrescott
I laugh in the face of danger.

He told me no one could defeat me...

Nickname(s): Kari, Simba, Prescott
Pride Points: 27

Postby Elton John » November 28th, 2015, 7:58 pm

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lists/best-hollywood-movies-all-time-818512/item/seven-samurai-hollywoods-100-favorite-818479

The top 100 hollywood movies, ranked by oscar winners/studio chiefs and big time tv people were polled.

The lion king ranked in at number 66.
Elton John
I’m with you

Next

Return to Beyond The Lion King