Simba calling Timon “Pops”

Simba calling Timon “Pops”

Postby BrianGriffinFan » September 22nd, 2022, 2:00 am

I thought I’d make a topic about this, as it’s something that’s always bothered me about the movie, and I noticed today that it was discussed in an old thread.

[quote="ScarLoyal"]I think after all that time in the Jungle, Simba saw Timon as his 'father'.[/quote]

This just really hurts, since I REALLY love Mufasa (he’s my favorite character, right now at least…I admit I actually have a crush on him!), but I really don’t care for T&P (no offense to anyone who does, I just don’t like them…I’m really sorry). So the idea of Timon taking Mufasa’s place is just really hard on me.

[quote="TheLionPrince"]
I felt Simba called Timon "Pops" because he accepted him as his stepfather after living with him (and Pumbaa) for some years in the jungle.[/quote]

Even the idea of Simba considering Timon his stepfather is hard for me to accept, since it’s still sort of implying that Timon basically replaced Mufasa. :ohnoes: And as I mentioned, they’re two characters who for me, just don’t compare to begin with.

While there wasn’t a lot in the original LK to suggest this was the case (which I was happy with), it gives new meaning to Mufasa’s ghost telling Simba that Simba forgot him. I know that wasn’t what he meant in the context of the original, but it’s hard not to read it that way after seeing LK 1.5 and hearing Simba considering Timon his “father”.

I want to bring up that I’m austistic, and have never dealt well with change. In fact, years ago, my parents divorced, which was hard enough on me, but later, when my mom entered a relationship with someone else, it was even harder, as it felt like she was trying to replace my dad. Thankfully, my stepfather is a wonderful person, even if he’s never taken the place of my dad.

But both my dad and my stepdad are alive, though. It would be much harder for me to accept someone becoming my stepdad if my real dad wasn’t alive. So that’s another reason why seeing Simba accepting Timon as his stepfather is hard on me, it doesn’t feel like it’s honoring Mufasa’s memory.

I know I’m probably making a bigger deal of this than I should. They’re fictional characters and I’m not related to them. But it’s just something that kind of bothers me, and I had to talk about it.
BrianGriffinFan

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: -2

Re: Simba calling Timon “Pops”

Postby BrianGriffinFan » August 2nd, 2023, 8:44 am

Anyways, I made this post a while back but still would like to discuss it.
BrianGriffinFan

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby CEVRAM » August 2nd, 2023, 10:02 am

You raise a good point all things considered, and the way I can make the most sense of this particular situation with my limited knowledge is that the producers and script writers of the movie simply didn't deliberate much into it at the time and just went with a narrative which they believed would be captivating and entertaining to most people. Moreover, I also think that, most likely, the dynamics between the three characters (Simba, Timon and Pumbaa) were established for the sake of instilling a sense of heartwarming camaraderie among the audiences in order to act as an emotional counterbalance to the tragedy of Mufasa's death, Simba's desolation and Scar taking over the Pride Lands.
CEVRAM

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Telegram: CEVRAM
Pride Points: 0

Postby BrianGriffinFan » August 4th, 2023, 5:15 am

[quote="CEVRAM"]You raise a good point all things considered, and the way I can make the most sense of this particular situation with my limited knowledge is that the producers and script writers of the movie simply didn't deliberate much into it at the time and just went with a narrative which they believed would be captivating and entertaining to most people. Moreover, I also think that, most likely, the dynamics between the three characters (Simba, Timon and Pumbaa) were established for the sake of instilling a sense of heartwarming camaraderie among the audiences in order to act as an emotional counterbalance to the tragedy of Mufasa's death, Simba's desolation and Scar taking over the Pride Lands.[/quote]

I don’t quite see what you’re getting at (in relation to my question) exactly, but thank you for at least answering.
BrianGriffinFan

Postby CEVRAM » August 4th, 2023, 10:26 am

[quote="BrianGriffinFan"][quote="CEVRAM"]You raise a good point all things considered, and the way I can make the most sense of this particular situation with my limited knowledge is that the producers and script writers of the movie simply didn't deliberate much into it at the time and just went with a narrative which they believed would be captivating and entertaining to most people. Moreover, I also think that, most likely, the dynamics between the three characters (Simba, Timon and Pumbaa) were established for the sake of instilling a sense of heartwarming camaraderie among the audiences in order to act as an emotional counterbalance to the tragedy of Mufasa's death, Simba's desolation and Scar taking over the Pride Lands.[/quote]

I don’t quite see what you’re getting at (in relation to my question) exactly, but thank you for at least answering.[/quote]

Neither did I to be fair. It's not something I've ever considered before. In all fairness, I wasn't sure how to answer to this post but having previously said I would, I had to give it a try.
CEVRAM

Postby BrianGriffinFan » August 5th, 2023, 3:17 am

[quote="CEVRAM"][quote="BrianGriffinFan"][quote="CEVRAM"]You raise a good point all things considered, and the way I can make the most sense of this particular situation with my limited knowledge is that the producers and script writers of the movie simply didn't deliberate much into it at the time and just went with a narrative which they believed would be captivating and entertaining to most people. Moreover, I also think that, most likely, the dynamics between the three characters (Simba, Timon and Pumbaa) were established for the sake of instilling a sense of heartwarming camaraderie among the audiences in order to act as an emotional counterbalance to the tragedy of Mufasa's death, Simba's desolation and Scar taking over the Pride Lands.[/quote]

I don’t quite see what you’re getting at (in relation to my question) exactly, but thank you for at least answering.[/quote]

Neither did I to be fair. It's not something I've ever considered before. In all fairness, I wasn't sure how to answer to this post but having previously said I would, I had to give it a try.[/quote]

Well, thank you at least responding, it’s more than anyone else has done.
BrianGriffinFan

Postby CEVRAM » August 5th, 2023, 6:23 pm

[quote="BrianGriffinFan"][quote="CEVRAM"][quote="BrianGriffinFan"][quote="CEVRAM"]You raise a good point all things considered, and the way I can make the most sense of this particular situation with my limited knowledge is that the producers and script writers of the movie simply didn't deliberate much into it at the time and just went with a narrative which they believed would be captivating and entertaining to most people. Moreover, I also think that, most likely, the dynamics between the three characters (Simba, Timon and Pumbaa) were established for the sake of instilling a sense of heartwarming camaraderie among the audiences in order to act as an emotional counterbalance to the tragedy of Mufasa's death, Simba's desolation and Scar taking over the Pride Lands.[/quote]

Neither did I to be fair. It's not something I've ever considered before. In all fairness, I wasn't sure how to answer to this post but having previously said I would, I had to give it a try.[/quote]

Well, thank you at least responding, it’s more than anyone else has done.[/quote]

Yeah, sadly the two of us, plus the fella from Afghanistan, are the only 3 remaining active souls here as things stand, so there's only a few options on who can or might answer someone else's posts.
CEVRAM

Postby BrianGriffinFan » August 8th, 2023, 3:40 pm

[quote="CEVRAM"][quote="BrianGriffinFan"][quote="CEVRAM"][quote="BrianGriffinFan"][quote="CEVRAM"]You raise a good point all things considered, and the way I can make the most sense of this particular situation with my limited knowledge is that the producers and script writers of the movie simply didn't deliberate much into it at the time and just went with a narrative which they believed would be captivating and entertaining to most people. Moreover, I also think that, most likely, the dynamics between the three characters (Simba, Timon and Pumbaa) were established for the sake of instilling a sense of heartwarming camaraderie among the audiences in order to act as an emotional counterbalance to the tragedy of Mufasa's death, Simba's desolation and Scar taking over the Pride Lands.[/quote]

Well, thank you at least responding, it’s more than anyone else has done.[/quote]

Yeah, sadly the two of us, plus the fella from Afghanistan, are the only 3 remaining active souls here as things stand, so there's only a few options on who can or might answer someone else's posts.[/quote]

Did you see my post in the screencaps section for the original film?
BrianGriffinFan

Return to The Lion King 1½