Ma... Is she the leader of the meerkat group?

Ma... Is she the leader of the meerkat group?

Postby MeerkatOnTheMoon » April 16th, 2020, 6:34 am

I've seen a mention of this somewhere but I still wonder if she is the leader or someone else. Alternately, maybe it's just a neutral group without a specific leader. What do you all think?

In the show "Meerkat Manor" and in real life in the wilderness, there's an alpha female in every group who commands everyone, and in a big group like "Meerkat Manor", she can be vicious to the point where she evicts her own daughters who have pups, because only the alpha is allowed to have kids.

Ma is a compassionate character, which is lovely to see.
The Lion King III: Hidden Kingdom
Now available to read!
https://m.fanfiction.net/s/14288564/1/The-Lion-King-3-Hidden-Kingdom
MeerkatOnTheMoon
We need a new motto.

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Let's get going!

Nickname(s): Jules
Pride Points: 13

Re: Ma... Is she the leader of the meerkat group?

Postby Timon the great » June 8th, 2020, 9:49 am

I think with all the film material, it's pretty straightforward that Ma is in fact the female leader of Timon's colony. She even does roll-call of the colony members underground when the hyenas attack. So she already knows who's who in their colony. Though I see that Timon has status in it because he's standing right next to Ma on their own in front of the colony (despite the members not personally liking him). But it's probably safe to say also that Max is the male leader in the final film. Plus, all three of them discuss on their own about Timon being sentry without any of the other meerkats involved (aside from them hearing what Timon, Ma, Max are talking about amongst each other).

The reason I said "final film" above is because I remember seeing from the DVD deleted scenes that Timon's (deleted) dad tells him that he and Ma also built (obviously with aid from colony members), the colony's tunnel network to protect him because they love him, when Timon was younger. So I think this also tells more that his parents are indeed the leaders of the colony. Though the main intent of this scene was probably to show that Timon was going to be the hero or savior of his colony since he was born from its leaders. Similar to how Simba was born from the king and queen of Pride Rock.

Also, I agree that Ma is compassionate toward others aside from her son. That may also be why she looks "taller" in some of the colony scenes (like this one: https://i2.wp.com/caps.pictures/200/4-lion-king3/full/lionking3-disneyscreencaps.com-594.jpg ), to emphasize leadership in her role with the colony itself.
"I found a place that was beyond my wildest dreams. But..., it still wasn't home." - Timon; Lion King 1 1/2 (3)

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Timon L. Berkowitz

Pride Points: 29

Postby SimbasGuard » June 14th, 2020, 10:21 am

You both make very good points. I never thought of it, but I guess Timon is The Meerkat Prince. 8-)
My Avatar Was Made For Me By Thegeni99 Thank You So Much!

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride.
SimbasGuard
Guardian of the Pride Lands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride

Nickname(s): Anyone may shorten my name however they want.
Pride Points: 85

Postby MeerkatOnTheMoon » June 14th, 2020, 6:29 pm

Oh yes Ma does seem to be in charge with all the roll calls and her attention to the colony besides her own son. Max could be the male leader after Timon’s dad. The way Max gets the group to agree with him and how he teaches Timon how to be a sentry indicates his leadership. Thanks for the image, TimontheGreat. Ma definitely looks taller in that scene.

SimbasGuard - Lol Timon the meerkat prince. It has a nice ring to it.

It’s interesting that as the privileged one (as it is for actual meerkats when they are the children of the leaders that they get special treatment), Timon seems to be disliked by the colony. But he still cares for them and dreams of a better living condition for all, which gives him a heroic quality :)
Now available to read!
MeerkatOnTheMoon
We need a new motto.

Let's get going!

Postby SimbasGuard » June 14th, 2020, 10:25 pm

Excellent point. A Meerkat Prince, disliked by His Colony, embraces a lifestyles of, no rules, no responsibility, and no worries. Yet He is deeply concerned for His Colony that does not care for him. Timon is definitely a character that has more depth and redeemable qualities than one would notice on a 1st impression of him.

SimbasGuard

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby MeerkatOnTheMoon » June 16th, 2020, 11:49 am

I agree with you. It felt like this movie gave Timon more depth, especially with some of the thoughtful lines he has been saying: "What's so bad about dreaming of a better place." Currently, Nathan Lane is starring in the Showtime series "Penny Dreadful: City of Angels" as a detective, and with this dramatic role, he gets to deliver really thoughtful lines that I believe he did apply to Timon. :) Interestingly, in an interview video on Youtube, he said he relates to Simba more in "The Lion King" - like Simba, he lost his dad when he was a kid.

It was great that Timon got to show his heroic side at the end and when he led the colony into the jungle they seemed to appreciate him more.
Now available to read!
MeerkatOnTheMoon
We need a new motto.

Let's get going!

Postby SimbasGuard » June 16th, 2020, 5:35 pm

Nathan Lane doing drama. That is not really a surprise given his level of talent. Maybe I ought to add Penny Dreadful to my list of T.V. shows to watch.

Yes given the song They sang about Him at the end of the movie, I'd say Timon is now the hero of His Colony.

SimbasGuard

Postby MeerkatOnTheMoon » June 17th, 2020, 5:25 pm

Nathan shines in the role, and I really recommend the show :) He also gained new fans since many did not know he is that good at drama - he did not get the chance to do drama til a decade ago.

Great emotional scenes too. His character is really a tortured soul. It's Nathan as we have never seen him before. This is the new spin-off, by the way. Not the original. But it's the same creator John Logan. A supernatural detective noir set in 1930's LA with explorations of the Mexican culture. Nathan's doing a fantastic job being a compassionate ally.

It's a great show that promotes acceptance and tolerance. Nathan along with Natalie Dormer and Daniel Zovatto (the other detective) are the three main leads but it's a great ensemble cast. Here's the trailer and behind-the-scenes video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7n2SSJWvpk

You're right about the colony singing about Timon at the end. The way he stands with Ma - the meerkat queen lol. It's a great way to close the movie :D And it's lovely that Timon along with Pumbaa continue to serve Simba in TLK2 by looking out for Kiara.
Now available to read!
MeerkatOnTheMoon
We need a new motto.

Let's get going!

Postby SimbasGuard » June 25th, 2020, 11:25 am

Wow That looks like a Great Show. I saw that The original was on Netflix so this version should end up there too eventually. I'll add it to my (Oh so long list of movies/TV shows I want too see).

Yeah Timon And Pumbaa are not my personal favorite Lion King Characters, but They are essential to The Lion King Universe.

SimbasGuard

Postby MeerkatOnTheMoon » June 25th, 2020, 4:11 pm

The original is now on the Showtime website (very short with 10 episodes like other Showtime series), and it is being renewed for Season 2 from what I saw. Definitely Nathan's best performance. He should keep doing drama 'cause he's that great and endearing. =) His sincerity reminds me of the colony scenes in 1 1/2.
Now available to read!
MeerkatOnTheMoon
We need a new motto.

Let's get going!

Next

Return to The Lion King 1½