Should I watch this movie?

Re: Should I watch this movie?

Postby Elton John » March 19th, 2015, 3:27 pm

I like timon and pumbaa as characters, they are much better than most comedic relief characters esp ones in disney movies because they serve a purpose beyond cheap laughs. Not to say that their jokes in the first movie were bad, a lot of timons lines in the first movie make me laugh in an unironic way.

I like them because they are very important to the story.

I did like the more serious interactions with timon and the colony or timon and and ma.

I think the funniest part of the film was during 'i just can't wait to be king' when timon and pumbaa walk out and the scenery has changed to fit the visual style of the song of the first movie. I found that part to be highly amusing.
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Postby Peter95 » April 28th, 2015, 4:41 pm

Hey dear, this is a great animated movie of that time. I think you should definitely watch this movie. It was my favorite movie as a kid. You know, I am going to watch frozen with my daughter on this weekend. Actually frozen is her favorite movie and has already seen this movie many times!
Peter95

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 0

Postby AnActualLion » April 29th, 2015, 4:52 am

I might be speaking from bias here but I think that TLK 1 1/2 is a very cute movie that explores the sidekicks and gives them more depth than the somewhat shallow but funny character archetypes in the first film. You get a background on them, mostly Timon, and see them go through character development. They are integrated into the story of the first film in a way that doesn't take away from the magic but adds just a little something extra that at least made me smile. It's definitely worth a go!
CERTIFIED LION CARTOON TRASH QUEEN
AnActualLion
Certified Lion Trash Queen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I'll analyze anything, Literally anything!

Location: Hunched over my laptop, probably gaming or writing.
Nickname(s): Amby, Shabiki, Bailey
Pride Points: 5

Postby MeerkatOnTheMoon » October 29th, 2019, 3:40 pm

[quote="Elton John"]I like timon and pumbaa as characters, they are much better than most comedic relief characters esp ones in disney movies because they serve a purpose beyond cheap laughs. Not to say that their jokes in the first movie were bad, a lot of timons lines in the first movie make me laugh in an unironic way.

I did like the more serious interactions with timon and the colony or timon and and ma.

I think the funniest part of the film was during 'i just can't wait to be king' when timon and pumbaa walk out and the scenery has changed to fit the visual style of the song of the first movie. I found that part to be highly amusing.[/quote]

I've read all the posts in your thread, and I'm glad you ended up liking the film. I like what you said about Timon and Pumbaa serving a purpose beyond all the comedy. They are comical in an endearing way, and I'm happy they stuck to their word and decided to stay with Simba, which we all saw in "Simba's Pride". Great interactions between Timon and the colony and Timon and Ma, yes.
The Lion King III: Hidden Kingdom
Now available to read!
https://m.fanfiction.net/s/14288564/1/The-Lion-King-3-Hidden-Kingdom
MeerkatOnTheMoon
We need a new motto.

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Let's get going!

Nickname(s): Jules
Pride Points: 13

Postby MeerkatOnTheMoon » October 29th, 2019, 3:43 pm

[quote="Elton John"]I like timon and pumbaa as characters, they are much better than most comedic relief characters esp ones in disney movies because they serve a purpose beyond cheap laughs. Not to say that their jokes in the first movie were bad, a lot of timons lines in the first movie make me laugh in an unironic way.

I think the funniest part of the film was during 'i just can't wait to be king' when timon and pumbaa walk out and the scenery has changed to fit the visual style of the song of the first movie. I found that part to be highly amusing.[/quote]

I've read all the posts in your thread, and I'm glad you ended up liking the film. I like what you said about Timon and Pumbaa serving a purpose beyond all the comedy. They are comical in an endearing way, and I'm happy they stuck to their word and decided to stay with Simba, which we all saw in "Simba's Pride". Great interactions between Timon and the colony and Timon and Ma, yes.

[quote="AnActualLion"]I might be speaking from bias here but I think that TLK 1 1/2 is a very cute movie that explores the sidekicks and gives them more depth than the somewhat shallow but funny character archetypes in the first film. You get a background on them, mostly Timon, and see them go through character development. They are integrated into the story of the first film in a way that doesn't take away from the magic but adds just a little something extra that at least made me smile. It's definitely worth a go![/quote]

I agree it is an adorable movie, and Timon and Pumbaa are special in my book. It's definitely lovely to see them get their own film. Great backstory for Timon. I wish Pumbaa got his too. There were funny but also endearing moments like when both of them finally became best friends after the waterfall scene.
Now available to read!
MeerkatOnTheMoon
We need a new motto.

Let's get going!

Postby Elton John » October 30th, 2019, 4:45 pm

I don’t think this is a bad movie, there are many worse disney direct to video sequels.. I just wish we got a real tlk 3 and that the timon and pumbaa show fleshed them out instead (while still focusing on comedy).

I will probably rewatch this on Disney+.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby MeerkatOnTheMoon » October 31st, 2019, 3:51 pm

Back then, I thought they were working on both "1 1/2" and a separate "The Lion King 3" movie. The whole Shakespearean connection seemed to make sense with the original being inspired by Hamlet, "Simba's Pride" referencing Romeo and Juliet, and "1 1/2" channeling Rosencrantz and Guilderstern are Dead. Wish they did follow up with an actual 3rd movie too (after the midquel), though I'm glad it still lives on in fan fiction form with plenty of narratives from different writers.

I'm glad Disney+ has added all three "The Lion King" movies to the list. Those who didn't know "Simba's Pride" and "1 1/2" existed can hopefully look them up, especially the new generation of Disney fans.
Now available to read!
MeerkatOnTheMoon
We need a new motto.

Let's get going!

Postby Elton John » October 31st, 2019, 5:05 pm

Assuming that they do a tlk 2 remake and it makes enough money to justify another sequel I wonder if Disney will p much ignore this one (since it was already a ‘what if’ remake)?
Elton John
I’m with you

Postby MeerkatOnTheMoon » November 1st, 2019, 3:07 am

I wonder that too. On social media though, fans are requesting both "Simba's Pride" and "1 1/2". With Disney+ making them available, they may be back in everyone's mind and find new audiences too. Some new "The Lion King" fans on Twitter commented that they didn't know about both movies but they look forward to watching them soon.
Now available to read!
MeerkatOnTheMoon
We need a new motto.

Let's get going!

Previous

Return to The Lion King 1½