"Look beyond what you see."

"Look beyond what you see."

Postby Zonofon » June 9th, 2014, 6:12 pm

Slightly philosophical question.
During the first meeting Rafiki advised Timon "to look beyond what you see". Timon not quite correctly understood it, that is literally. But in the end it led him and his colony to happiness. That is, maybe he got it right?
Zonofon

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 2

Re: "Look beyond what you see."

Postby Brony4life » June 9th, 2014, 9:58 pm

I don't really know what you're asking :?
Brony4life
Deal With It.

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 1

Postby Zonofon » June 9th, 2014, 11:08 pm

Saying simpler: Timon understood Rafiki correctly?
Zonofon

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 2

Postby TheLionPrince » June 13th, 2014, 12:59 am

Even though it was a joke, Ma told Timon that everything the light touches "belongs to someone else." When Rafiki first tells Timon that he had to "look beyond what you see" in order to have "hakuna matata" (no worries) in life, he thought finding a paradise home for himself would end his problems, but as evident at the end of the movie, Timon described it as "beyond his wildest dreams, but it still wasn't home." It wasn't until he brought his colony to the jungle that he felt he fulfilled his journey and found his place in the Circle of Life. So, at the end, Timon got it right because he found a place of no worries and proved that a living space for his colony beyond the burrows is possible. Notice how he described as "predator free environment".
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Postby MeerkatOnTheMoon » December 18th, 2019, 8:54 am

[quote="TheLionPrince"]Even though it was a joke, Ma told Timon that everything the light touches "belongs to someone else." When Rafiki first tells Timon that he had to "look beyond what you see" in order to have "hakuna matata" (no worries) in life, he thought finding a paradise home for himself would end his problems, but as evident at the end of the movie, Timon described it as "beyond his wildest dreams, but it still wasn't home." It wasn't until he brought his colony to the jungle that he felt he fulfilled his journey and found his place in the Circle of Life. So, at the end, Timon got it right because he found a place of no worries and proved that a living space for his colony beyond the burrows is possible. Notice how he described as "predator free environment".[/quote]

That makes a lot of sense. I never thought about the ending much but yes by bringing his colony to a predator free environment he found his place in the Circle of Life. Sounds perfect.
The Lion King III: Hidden Kingdom
Now available to read!
https://m.fanfiction.net/s/14288564/1/The-Lion-King-3-Hidden-Kingdom
MeerkatOnTheMoon
We need a new motto.

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Let's get going!

Nickname(s): Jules
Pride Points: 13

Postby Biomac » December 20th, 2019, 3:02 am

Making any sense out of TLK's franchise philosophy is hard because I believe that ever since the original, the creators knew that whenever you prone an unclear and obscure philosophy, then never try to explain it rationally. For instance, the notion of 'circle of life' is in itself pretty bland, and it remains unexplained throughout the first film. So, why would the director bother, in the second sequel, develop any further the idea of 'looking beyond what you see'? That right here is plain bad writing.
Last edited by Biomac on December 20th, 2019, 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I am the Hope of the Universe... I am the Answer to all Living Things that cry out for Peace... I am Protector of the Innocent... I am the Light in the Darkness... I am Truth - Goku.

Mosquitoes suck - Saitama.
Biomac

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Bio
Pride Points: 36

Postby MeerkatOnTheMoon » December 20th, 2019, 1:13 pm

I think the meaning is left to interpretation, though from the behind-the-scenes features, the production team did care about the plot in general. Given the original cast came back, they must've known that this movie (and "Simba's Pride") have value or they wouldn't want to be a part of it - they still talk about how much they respect the original film. :)
The Lion King III: Hidden Kingdom
Now available to read!
https://m.fanfiction.net/s/14288564/1/The-Lion-King-3-Hidden-Kingdom
MeerkatOnTheMoon
We need a new motto.

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Let's get going!

Nickname(s): Jules
Pride Points: 13

Postby Biomac » December 21st, 2019, 7:16 am

I didn't say that the creators disregarded the plot or disrespected the first movie. All I said is that the 'circle of life' and 'look beyond what you see' concepts are comparable in that they're unclear, for they revolve around the mystical.

I am the Hope of the Universe... I am the Answer to all Living Things that cry out for Peace... I am Protector of the Innocent... I am the Light in the Darkness... I am Truth - Goku.

Mosquitoes suck - Saitama.
Biomac

Nickname(s): Bio
Pride Points: 36

Return to The Lion King 1½