During love will find a way...

During love will find a way...

Postby Elton John » May 22nd, 2018, 3:38 pm

This has been bugging me for a while.

Early on in the song Kiara sings ‘I may not be brave or strong or smart, but somewhere in my secret heart’...

I read a comment years back that this was some of the most clumsy, poorly written lyrics in a Disney movie. It’s hard to disagree with that. I like the song otherwise but it feels like the person who wrote the lyrics tried really hard to write something that rhymed but failed at it and made Kiara look like a doofus unintentionally.

I’ve also heard interpretations that it was Kiara lacking confidence.

So, what do you think? Poorly planned lyrics or a good way at showing Kiaras lack of confidence?
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Re: During love will find a way...

Postby Azdgari » May 22nd, 2018, 5:11 pm

I actually like the lyric. The whole point of the song is that Kiara's feeling down, she's feeling lonely, but still hopeful that things will turn around. I think the lyric conveys that, with a nice rhyme that flows nicely with the music.

I don't think it makes her look like a doofus. I think it makes her look super bummed out and down on herself, which she was, right? I mean, it's not like the general bar for music in SP is *hem* super high (except He Lives In You), so this doesn't strike me as jarringly low-quality or anything.
Guess the Member with Kitva Hyperlink: show
"Hates me
Nothing but facts
Male"

"...Woeler?"

"ya"
Azdgari
big, wide turns

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 114

Postby Elton John » May 22nd, 2018, 5:30 pm

I suppose

but

What does ‘my secret heart’ even mean?

I haven’t seen the movie in a while, but it wasn’t really a secret that she loved kovu. Mufasa knew about it. Rafiki knew about it. All the other animals in upendi knew about it.

How did Mufasa know about it?
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Postby Azdgari » May 22nd, 2018, 7:53 pm

I've always thought of it as similar to 'heart of hearts'. Just a colorful way of saying 'somewhere deep down inside, I know that love will find a way'.
Guess the Member with Kitva Hyperlink: show
"Hates me
Nothing but facts
Male"

"...Woeler?"

"ya"
Azdgari
big, wide turns

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 114

Postby Captain Cupcake » May 22nd, 2018, 8:05 pm

[quote="Azdgari"]I've always thought of it as similar to 'heart of hearts'. Just a colorful way of saying 'somewhere deep down inside, I know that love will find a way'.[/quote]

Yeah. She's saying that, in spite of her inefficiencies and doubts, deep down, she knows for sure things haven't truly fallen apart and it'll all be rectified. A more blatant and self-deprecating way to put it would be "I may be dumb, but even I know things will definitely turn out alright." :P
Captain Cupcake
Hnnng...

HNNNGGGG!!!

Nickname(s): Master
Pride Points: 11

Postby PrincessKiara » July 12th, 2018, 10:17 pm

I have always interpreted that line as Kiara having low confidence and self-esteem. She`s putting herself down because she doesn`t believe in herself - at least, during her heartbroken search for Kovu.. Even if she doesn`t feel strong or smart in that moment, she knows she can still believe in the love that she and Kovu share, and that love will indeed find a way.
As for "my secret heart," that is a phrase that I, as a non-native English speaker, has always found a bit odd. I don`t think it`s a poorly written lyric though - this song is intended to be a bit sappy. ;)
PrincessKiara
I`m no super genius. Or are I?

Miles To Go Before I Sleep

Nickname(s): Solle
Pride Points: 40

Postby MeerkatOnTheMoon » October 1st, 2019, 5:27 am

There’s a sentimental quality to the song, yes, and “my secret heart” fits in nicely within the lyrics, though I agree it does sound a bit odd, since matters of the heart are already secretive in nature. Still, it’s wonderfully written. The overemphasizing of it resonates with the whole theme of doubting oneself but believing that love can indeed find a way. Definitely perfect for Kiara. The part where she considered herself as not “smart” got me taken aback too at first, since that sounded like an old school stereotype about Disney female characters being so quick to fall in love but with Kiara, it felt like a lack of confidence before the song took on a positive, uplifting turn. :kiarabutterfly:
The Lion King III: Hidden Kingdom
Now available to read!
https://m.fanfiction.net/s/14288564/1/The-Lion-King-3-Hidden-Kingdom
MeerkatOnTheMoon
We need a new motto.

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Let's get going!

Nickname(s): Jules
Pride Points: 13

Return to The Lion King II: Simba's Pride