Simba's relationship with Timon and Pumbaa.

Re: Simba's relationship with Timon and Pumbaa.

Postby MeerkatOnTheMoon » October 1st, 2019, 10:01 am

Found this thread while I was scrolling. As a Timon and Pumbaa fan, I never saw them as being mistreated. In fact, I thought they fit into the plot just fine. They stuck to their word that they’d stay (“We’re with you to the end” from the first movie), and just like Simba’s character developed as he finally embraced his destiny as King, I felt like Timon and Pumbaa developed too as they finally showed signs of responsibility.

The way they worried about Kiara - and their overall character arcs in this sequel - was very “anti-Hakuna Matata”. Timon even admitted that Hakuna Matata belongs in the past during the battle with the Outlanders. I thought working life suited them both, which makes Simba’s Pride my fave Timon and Pumbaa appearances. Actually, I enjoyed them even more than the first film. As far as comic reliefs go, they weren’t that funny here except during the silly sentimental scenes (like the ending and when Kiara was about to go on her first hunt), but they didn’t have to be funny. I saw them as more than just sidekicks, and they had endearing moments like the one mentioned by TheLionPrince:

[quote="TheLionPrince"]
Even another scene with Simba, Timon, and Pumbaa was when Pumbaa carried Simba, who was injured and exhausted from the ambush. Just now, I noticed it was an exact parallel to the first movie when Pumbaa carried Simba's body to safety after the buzzards tried to eat him. Would Timon and Pumbaa have acted again as "Good Samaritans" if Simba was a total jerk to them?
[/quote]

I appreciate that scene a lot. Timon and Pumbaa came through for Simba once again, and it proved that their friendship was still as solid as ever. There are two types of relationships here. Given both worked for Simba they showed respect for him as a king (as they should) and acted as royal babysitters for Kiara just as Simba requested (Kiara running away most of the time wasn’t their fault - she would’ve done the same thing had they been paying close attention), but at the same time, they did have that bond still.
The Lion King III: Hidden Kingdom
Now available to read!
https://m.fanfiction.net/s/14288564/1/The-Lion-King-3-Hidden-Kingdom
MeerkatOnTheMoon
We need a new motto.

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Let's get going!

Nickname(s): Jules
Pride Points: 13

Previous

Return to The Lion King II: Simba's Pride