Simba and Zira similarities

Re: Simba and Zira similarities

Postby SimbasGuard » September 9th, 2015, 2:39 am

Well said Hatari05. Despite being a direct to video sequel, Lion King 2 stands out as something more than just a so called cheepqule.
My Avatar Was Made For Me By Thegeni99 Thank You So Much!

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride.
SimbasGuard
Guardian of the Pride Lands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride

Nickname(s): Anyone may shorten my name however they want.
Pride Points: 85

Postby Hatari05 » September 9th, 2015, 7:07 am

Thanks for the support I have a great liking for Lion King II it was a main source of inspiration for two of the stories I wrote it also introduced one of my favorite Disney villains Zira who I actually felt with much disagreement from many others coming but I felt Zira was a much more compelling villain than Scar I understood her motivations and felt they were legit her conflict with Simba was just icing on the cake. The story in Lion King II was in many ways deeper and more mature another reason I really like it though I admit the original definitely executed it's story better it also did have the bigger emotional punch with Mufasa's death and Simba's guilt over it.

However I feel the second did characters better. The first movie was about Simba and only Simba everyone else was there to support him and help tell his story which was once again done well. The second one however Kiara was the main character and a good one at that but the story also had character arcs for Kovu and Simba, Kovu's was underdeveloped being much too ambitious and deep for a seventy five minute movie. Simba's on the other hand was executed well not to it's fullest but well. Zira had just as much of an arc as Scar did and while not receiving as many lines Nuka and Vitani also had more character and development than the hyenas though Vitani was underdeveloped.

I guess what I'm saying is the first executed it's plot perfectly but as a result only Simba really had an arc the second set out to do much more with the other characters which it did but many were still underdeveloped creating a feeling of being shortchanged but I didn't feel it because even if they were underdeveloped the other characters were still getting some kind of focus the end result was you had a lot more depth for the many of the characters as a whole but no arc in the end managed to match Simba's from the first movie let me state this I'm not insulting the first movie it executed things incredibly I'm just stating the different ways they handled the cast and character arcs both worked great in my opinion and like I said it's up to you to determine which characterization you prefer and neither choice is wrong.
Hatari05

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): you can just call me Hatari for short
Pride Points: 26

Postby SimbasGuard » September 16th, 2015, 8:24 pm

I agree, that Lion King 2 would have benefited from being a longer movie. You really made your points well.

I have always felt that Zira was actually more evil than Scar. She would have willingly killed her own cub to see her objectives met. That is just pure evil :this-iz-mah-happy-face:

Vitani has so much unused potential, that is why I am hoping that she will show up in The Lion Guard. It would be awesome to see even a hint of what her life is like now. :devishlyhappy:
Last edited by SimbasGuard on October 12th, 2015, 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

SimbasGuard

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Hatari05 » September 18th, 2015, 2:30 am

Vitani was really underdeveloped but as far making the movie longer it was only seven minutes shorter than the first and no way it gets any longer than ninety minutes including credits meaning max it would be about eighty five minutes only a bit more you could do there and i would prefer they use those extra ten minutes to make Kovu's arc deeper since he is a main character.

I'm torn on if Zira is more evil than Scar she showed genuine emotion when Nuka died she actually cared about him and clearly cared about Scar her hatred of Simba seemed very understandable. Scar didn't care about anyone he killed his brother without batting an eye tricked Simba into thinking it was his fault when there was really no reason to. Let the whole kingdom fall apart for his own selfish desires and abandoned the only people who were actually loyal to him and even saw him as their friend to save his own sorry hide. Zira was twisted and completely psychotic but she was still human Scar was a monster whatever humanity he had faded long ago.

If you like Vitani I think you might like some of my stories as Vitani becomes a pretty big character though her arc gets really dark.
Hatari05

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby SimbasGuard » October 12th, 2015, 6:37 am

More good Points. I personally wish that animated movies did not limit themselves to only 90 minuets. If you have a story to tell, you should take the time needed to tell it. Provided it does not make the story drag.

Yeah when you take all the evil Scar was will to do vs. all the evil Zira would have done. Scar is definitely more evil.

What is the name of your story. I have many stories to read and seldom make time to read them, but I will put your story on my list.

SimbasGuard

Postby Hatari05 » October 14th, 2015, 6:05 am

I agree animation can be just as good as live action no need to limit either of them.

Scar was quite monstrous but Zira did seem more vicious I kind of liked that they were in many ways polar opposites. Scar is calm calculated witty and usually manipulated things behind the scenes he was almost cowardly at times as well. Zira was angry and spiteful she let her emotions cloud her thoughts and lacked a sense of humor she was always front and center and unlike Scar seemed almost eager to fight. Scar was a pretty straight up sociopath Zira on the other hand was a complete psychopath. Scar was more evil but I wouldn't want to meet either of them.

I have two on here but plan to post at least four as they all form one big story in the end. Vitani gets a big role eventually but not immediately since the story starts long before she is born. The first story is a prequel of Mufasa and Scar it also shows the backstory of Shenzi, Banzai and Ed as well as Zira, Sarabi and Sarafina, Sarabi in particular has a surprisingly large role. The second story is incomplete but will be finished very soon this one focuses on Scar's reign and what it was like despite this Scar is not the main character, the main character is Sarabi as the story explores how she dealt with her husband's and son's death. The story also focuses on Shenzi, Banzai and Ed, Zira, Nala to an extent and most importantly Sarafina who probably has the second largest role in the story.

I plan to post the next one soon but the point here is Vitani is introduced in the one focusing on Scar's reign as we get some answers on where Vitani and Kovu came from but she's not a main character in that one however in the next one which I will post soon Vitani is the second most important character. The point I'm making is these stories in the end form one story so it's best you read them in order it's your choice if you want to this is just my recommendation. The stories are called Tale Of Brothers and Fall Of The Pride Lands, be warned Fall Of The Pride Lands is very dark and would definitely be PG 13 if it was a movie. If you do read these would you mind tell me what you think about them I would like to know what your opinion of them was.
Hatari05

Postby SimbasGuard » October 18th, 2015, 8:03 am

Interesting I never picked up on Scar and Zira being Polar Opposites.

Your stories sound very interesting, I have Tale of Brothers and The Lion King Fall of the PrideLands Book Marked, I do not know when I will have The time to read them, but when I do I'll let you know what I though. Also I have no problem with Lion King Fan Fiction going beyond a G rating, but thanks for The Heads up anyway. I will also read them in order as well. 8-).

SimbasGuard

Postby Hatari05 » October 18th, 2015, 9:18 am

It was another thing I caught I've seen both movies an absurd amount of times I could probably quote both of them line for line so each time I watch them I notice new things that's always the beauty of rewatching something you might see something you didn't before.

I felt it was necessary to warn you all of them except one would be Pg 13 just because I see them beyond that rating doesn't mean others do and so should be told what they're getting though i always felt Lion King was more PG than G. though I try to avoid violence there are a few bits mainly because when characters are fighting with teeth and claws and you're writing it it's difficult for it not to be a little vicious. Despite this I also explore a lot of characters that aren't normally focused on. You're opinion will be you're own but after you read them I'll be happy to answer whatever questions you might have about why I made certain choices I did, that's up to you of course I hope you enjoy them regardless that's my main goal to make something people will enjoy.
Hatari05

Postby SimbasGuard » October 18th, 2015, 10:48 pm

Wow! you must watch The Lion King movies more that I do. That is awesome.

I appreciate your rating warning. At the risk of sounding like Scar, it is always a good idea to be prepared. I also have felt That Lion King is somewhat more mature than what people might expect of a G rated movie, Although I still believe G was the right rating to give Lion King.

SimbasGuard

Postby Hatari05 » October 19th, 2015, 1:25 am

The rating was fine for me but the movies themselves are quite dark when you think about it a lot darker than almost any other G I can think of and even some PG's I can think of.

I mean Tangled was PG and I don't really understand why both Lion King movies were way darker than Tangled so I don't understand the different rating there. I love both Lion King movies and watch them often though I also watched the first a lot while writing Fall Of The Pride Lands as there are a few scenes that weave into the first movie and I wanted to make sure I wasn't outright counteracting anything from the first movie. I wanted to make sure that Fall could pretty much tie in with the first movie so I watched the first repeatedly making certain everything could tie together without any real plot holes.
Hatari05

PreviousNext

Return to The Lion King II: Simba's Pride