The Royal Bloodline

The Royal Bloodline

Postby PrincessKiara » March 13th, 2015, 9:54 pm

In this topic, I`d like to ask two questions.

First of all, you know how in RL monarchies the law (in some countries this has changed, in others not) is that only a male heir can claim the throne and become king. If a royal couple produces three daughters and one son, the son is crownprince regardless if he is the youngest child.
Do you think the lionpride in the TLK universe works this way also, or does the oldest cub take the crown regardless of gender? Or if the ruling couple produces several cubs, do they simply choose which of their offspring would make the better leader, again, not by gender but by abilities and personality?
Basically, if Kiara had a younger brother (let`s forget about Kion and Kopa for a moment) would the position as leader automatically be given to him because Kiara is female?

My second question concerns Kiara and Kovu as the ruling royal couple.
Kiara is the one with royal blood, but in a real-life lion pride the male is the leader. So when Kiara becomes Queen, will she be the official leader of the pride, or will Kovu make the laws and decisions as he is the male lion?
In my opinion it seems as if Kiara will be the one to make decisions and have the most responsibility, but what do you guys think?
PrincessKiara
I`m no super genius. Or are I?

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Miles To Go Before I Sleep

Nickname(s): Solle
Pride Points: 40

Re: The Royal Bloodline

Postby Aelwen » April 12th, 2016, 1:25 pm

First of all many european monarchies now have cognatic primogeniture sustem It means the eldest child regardless of gender is the heir apparent.

I suppose that Kovu won't be just prince-consort, he will be King. But Kiara will have the most respect and make most of desicions.
Aelwen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 1

Postby Troll Berserker » April 12th, 2016, 4:54 pm

I also think that it depends of the age not the gender. Although there is no historical record for monarchies, individual noble famillies could set primogeniture system anytime.

We though that Kiara was meant to be a "queen" (or in this care "king" since "king" is the ruler and "queen" is king's wife [there's aslo a historical record of female "king" too]) because Simba had no other heir, but in TLG Kiara is meant to be a fututre ruler, even if she has a younger male sibling. It prove that Pridelands run on cognatic primogeniture.
[quote]"Wild lions do it!!" yes, but we're talking about a society of human-minded lions, not cub-eating beasts[/quote]
PREACH!

Image Image Image
"We've come to scream in the happy house
We're in a dream in the happy house
We're all quite sane"
Troll Berserker
A True Blooded Fantasy

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I'm not the one that's so absurd

Nickname(s): Troll, TB
Pride Points: 15

Postby SimbasGuard » April 12th, 2016, 7:43 pm

To answer your 2nt question. I believe Kovu will become King of The Pride Lands, but only because he is married to Kiara. Kiara has The Royal Bloodline, I believe Kiara will handle political decisions and if The Pride Lands have to take military actions Kovu will be the one to lead the charge. :roar4:
My Avatar Was Made For Me By Thegeni99 Thank You So Much!

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride.
SimbasGuard
Guardian of the Pride Lands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride

Nickname(s): Anyone may shorten my name however they want.
Pride Points: 85

Postby matkiethelioness » April 15th, 2016, 2:36 am

These are my points of view/theories.
First question: the elder child is the next monarch, regardless of gender. However...
Second question: Until Simba dies, the Pridelands become a polyarchy(Simba, Nala, Kiara and Kovu). After his death, Kovu is the king(with the same functions Simba had) and Kiara is the queen(with the same functions her mother had).
matkiethelioness

in-train Pridelands historian

Nickname(s): Matkie, Cande
Pride Points: 0

Postby GoodGrief » January 1st, 2017, 1:30 pm

If going off the British monarchy, the first child would always be the heir regardless of gender. The monarch is whoever is the heir, so Queen Elizabeth II is our monarch and her husband doesn't actually have the title of King, he's just Prince Philip. Though that doesn't seem to work the same way in TLK, I would like to think Kiara would have the most power even if Kovu is given the title of King.
I'm feeling...
ImageImageImage
Buttons by Carl!
GoodGrief
Whistling the meldoy

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): GG, Olly

Postby Simba_Lion » January 1st, 2017, 2:18 pm

From my point of view, regardless of gender, it depends on age. Kiara will be queen and Kovu will be king. Kiara's younger brother will only be prince. Kiara will be the leader of the hunting parties, Kovu has to protect the kingdom if needed (strangers, hyenas, etc.) As for decisions, I guess they will make it together.
Simba_Lion

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Simba
Pride Points: 4

Postby GoodGrief » January 1st, 2017, 9:17 pm

[quote="Simba_Lion"]As for decisions, I guess they will make it together.[/quote]
Hmm I don't know, I think the consort (I think that's what the partner of the reigning monarch is called) should have less weight in the decision making. Maybe I'm just being authoritarian :lol:
I'm feeling...
ImageImageImage
Buttons by Carl!
GoodGrief
Whistling the meldoy

Nickname(s): GG, Olly

Postby Justmeonhere » January 2nd, 2017, 3:58 pm

Nah, I do think you're right GoodGrief. I think Kiara will rule as a Queen and take the important matters for her and Kovu as Prince/King and help Kiara with something or lead the military forces like SimbasGuard said.
"And your defect is a propensity to hate everybody."
"And yours," he replied with a smile, "is willfully to misunderstand them."
Pride and Prejudice Chapter 11
"Sir, you are no gentleman"
"And you, miss, are no lady... Don't think that I hold that against you. Ladies have never held any charm for me."
Scarlett and Rhett in Gone with the wind
Justmeonhere

May the Austen be with you!

Pride Points: 2

Postby Simba_Lion » January 2nd, 2017, 7:44 pm

[quote="Justmeonhere"]I think Kiara will rule as a Queen and take the important matters for her and Kovu as Prince/King and help Kiara.[/quote]
Yeah, not a bad theory.
Simba_Lion

Nickname(s): Simba
Pride Points: 4

Next

Return to The Lion King II: Simba's Pride