Was it just overhunting or was it genocide?

Was it just overhunting or was it genocide?

Postby FriendlyHyena » May 19th, 2018, 5:16 am

I haven't seen the full movie Lion King all the way through in years. I just noticed the scene where Simba returned and there were skulls of dead animals everywhere.

I'm wondering if this was just the hyenas overhunting or if Scar had a more sinister purpose, like crushing several animals so that there wouldn't be a rebellion able to be launched against him.

By wiping out perhaps some of the strong animals like Wildabeasts, Antelope, and Elephants, Scar could really tip the balance in his favor as his army of hyenas plus Zira and her group would outnumber the lionesses, at least strong enough for Nala's side to not dare to challenge Scar without a strong male lion on their side.
FriendlyHyena

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 2

Re: Was it just overhunting or was it genocide?

Postby TheLionPrince » May 19th, 2018, 8:55 pm

You're right. There were skeletons of dead animals when Simba returned to the Pride Lans. I'm pretty sure those were prey animals the hyenas had previously eaten and then left the remaining skeletons there to rot.

A failed rebellion led by prey animals against would be too important in a story to not be mentioned.
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Postby Panda-chan » May 19th, 2018, 10:08 pm

Pretty sure the implication is that the introduction of the hyenas caused the prey animals to be overhunted, breaking the Circle of Life, leading to famines and droughts, etc etc.

You know, a lot of your posts have to do with implausible "what-if" scenarios. Occam's razor states that if several theories can explain a phenomenon, the simplest one is probably the correct one. You definitely seem to be overthinking a lot of aspects of the movie. It's not exactly Shakespearean literature—it's a Disney movie about singing African animals lol.
D̵̢̨̧̛͔̖͍̝̤̫̼̝̬̤̪̟͇͙̊̏̎͛̇̏͊͌̃̂̈́͂̒̄̅̚̚͘͝R̸̥̙͂̀̾̑̊̀̉́̀́̐̄̊̿̈́̄͑̐̕͝I̴̗̯̼̳͉͕̺̤̖̝̪̫̊͛͝͠Ǹ̵̨̧͈̮̦̖̝͈̥̗͕̭͉̺̲͕̥͔͎̹͖͙͇̲̘̩̞͓̦̦̯̮̙̜̼̝͈̣̺̰̺̟̙̫̫ͅK̶̢̢̡̧̢̛̻͎̘͉̦͚̳̗̱̗̮̫̲͎̟͚͖̠̣̺͎̠̤͈̩̞͈͚̣̳̟̣̓͊͊̍̀̇͆́͐̔̔̅̿̅̋̈̈́̔̈̒̌̆̃̇͗̂̐̽́͊̋͗̚̕͘͜͜͠͝͝ ̴̧̧̢̧̧̢̛̦̗̦̭͔̝͎̘͍͚͈̰̦̲͍̥͚̱͓̦̙̞̱̜̹̍̉́̿̃͆̆̾̀̍̊͛̈́̽̈́̀̋̒̾͗͗͂̾̊̇̃̈́̋́̓̄̂̐͊͂̏̿̅͂̚͘̚͜͠͝͠ͅͅͅͅW̵̢̧̨̥͇̳̩͍̪̓̉͊̓̏͜͠Ã̵̧̨͍͚̭̱̦̯̣͓̱̫͑͋̋̾̎͑̽̔̒͆̉͒͑͆̎͑̑̒͋̑̀̒̿͑̄͋̒͆̑͆̔̈̈́͂͆̾̾̌̃̏̊̓͘͜͝͠͠T̸̨̧̛̮̙̰͇̹̭̥̙̝̱̼̥͖̟̃̔̑̒̓̈́͂̈́̂̓̂̎̋͊̌͋̂͂̃̂͝͠͠͝ͅĘ̴̧̡̢̧̡̠͉͉͕̤̳̘̖̙̭͙͕̻͍̖̗͙̯͈͔͋̄̾̄͛͌͌͒͛̇̎͋̉̈́̆̈́̍̎̆̒͑̒̅̋̊̄̈̿͒̈̋̾̊́̔̚͝͠͝͠ͅŖ̸̠̫͓̞͈̫̉̂
Panda-chan

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

STAY HYDRATED, FOLKS

Nickname(s): Weeb trash
Telegram: 6834232905344686445634231897968563522324236894284563523722616678
Pride Points: 108

Postby WildSimba » May 20th, 2018, 5:57 pm

[quote="Panda-chan"]Pretty sure the implication is that the introduction of the hyenas caused the prey animals to be overhunted, breaking the Circle of Life, leading to famines and droughts, etc etc.

You know, a lot of your posts have to do with implausible "what-if" scenarios. Occam's razor states that if several theories can explain a phenomenon, the simplest one is probably the correct one. You definitely seem to be overthinking a lot of aspects of the movie. It's not exactly Shakespearean literature—it's a Disney movie about singing African animals lol.[/quote]

I agree with this. This film isn't as deeply reaching as you make it out, it's fun to analyze things sometimes, but you're REALLY reaching for things that AREN'T THERE.
"There are you, you drive like a demon from station to station," - David Bowie
WildSimba
Fan the Flames

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Ain't it Funny how it happens

Nickname(s): WS, David
Telegram: Ask me through PM
Pride Points: 122

Postby TLK_Kid » May 21st, 2018, 5:08 am

I agree that it was probably just overhunting. But the overanalyzing thing -- isn't that what we're here for? Sure, it might not always make a lot of sense; but I didn't know the purpose of this board was to only reinstate the facts we know and not suggest new theories that we don't.
TLK_Kid
When in doubt...

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

ASANTE SANA SQUASH BANANA

Nickname(s): Just call me Kid xD
Pride Points: 4

Postby WildSimba » May 21st, 2018, 6:23 pm

Sure, but there's a difference between a theory and cherry picking things that aren't even there lol A theory has to have some sort of connecting substantiation in order to be interesting. Also, there's nothing wrong with reinstating the facts to oppose a theory that doesn't work. lol
"There are you, you drive like a demon from station to station," - David Bowie
WildSimba
Fan the Flames

Ain't it Funny how it happens

Nickname(s): WS, David
Telegram: Ask me through PM
Pride Points: 122

Postby FlipMode » May 21st, 2018, 7:37 pm

[quote]But the overanalyzing thing -- isn't that what we're here for? [/quote]

No.
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Postby Panda-chan » May 21st, 2018, 7:38 pm

[quote="TLK_Kid"]I agree that it was probably just overhunting. But the overanalyzing thing -- isn't that what we're here for? Sure, it might not always make a lot of sense; but I didn't know the purpose of this board was to only reinstate the facts we know and not suggest new theories that we don't.[/quote]
Yeah well there's a difference between sensibly analyzing a movie and cherry-picking tiny details and then blowing it up into a crazy conspiracy theory about Zazu being Scar's henchman. For what it's worth I think some of FriendlyHyena's topics are quite good, it's just that some of the recent ones have been kinda wacky lol.
D̵̢̨̧̛͔̖͍̝̤̫̼̝̬̤̪̟͇͙̊̏̎͛̇̏͊͌̃̂̈́͂̒̄̅̚̚͘͝R̸̥̙͂̀̾̑̊̀̉́̀́̐̄̊̿̈́̄͑̐̕͝I̴̗̯̼̳͉͕̺̤̖̝̪̫̊͛͝͠Ǹ̵̨̧͈̮̦̖̝͈̥̗͕̭͉̺̲͕̥͔͎̹͖͙͇̲̘̩̞͓̦̦̯̮̙̜̼̝͈̣̺̰̺̟̙̫̫ͅK̶̢̢̡̧̢̛̻͎̘͉̦͚̳̗̱̗̮̫̲͎̟͚͖̠̣̺͎̠̤͈̩̞͈͚̣̳̟̣̓͊͊̍̀̇͆́͐̔̔̅̿̅̋̈̈́̔̈̒̌̆̃̇͗̂̐̽́͊̋͗̚̕͘͜͜͠͝͝ ̴̧̧̢̧̧̢̛̦̗̦̭͔̝͎̘͍͚͈̰̦̲͍̥͚̱͓̦̙̞̱̜̹̍̉́̿̃͆̆̾̀̍̊͛̈́̽̈́̀̋̒̾͗͗͂̾̊̇̃̈́̋́̓̄̂̐͊͂̏̿̅͂̚͘̚͜͠͝͠ͅͅͅͅW̵̢̧̨̥͇̳̩͍̪̓̉͊̓̏͜͠Ã̵̧̨͍͚̭̱̦̯̣͓̱̫͑͋̋̾̎͑̽̔̒͆̉͒͑͆̎͑̑̒͋̑̀̒̿͑̄͋̒͆̑͆̔̈̈́͂͆̾̾̌̃̏̊̓͘͜͝͠͠T̸̨̧̛̮̙̰͇̹̭̥̙̝̱̼̥͖̟̃̔̑̒̓̈́͂̈́̂̓̂̎̋͊̌͋̂͂̃̂͝͠͠͝ͅĘ̴̧̡̢̧̡̠͉͉͕̤̳̘̖̙̭͙͕̻͍̖̗͙̯͈͔͋̄̾̄͛͌͌͒͛̇̎͋̉̈́̆̈́̍̎̆̒͑̒̅̋̊̄̈̿͒̈̋̾̊́̔̚͝͠͝͠ͅŖ̸̠̫͓̞͈̫̉̂
Panda-chan

STAY HYDRATED, FOLKS

Nickname(s): Weeb trash
Telegram: 6834232905344686445634231897968563522324236894284563523722616678
Pride Points: 108

Postby Azdgari » May 21st, 2018, 8:08 pm

[quote="TLK_Kid"]But the overanalyzing thing -- isn't that what we're here for? Sure, it might not always make a lot of sense; but I didn't know the purpose of this board was to only reinstate the facts we know and not suggest new theories that we don't.[/quote]
The purpose of the board is for people to discuss whatever TLK-related stuff they want! That can be as grounded or as zany as anyone pleases. Others then, as WS said, obviously have the right to refute those crazy ideas too. I mean, this is definitely a little out there. No shame in bringing it back down to earth.

But anyone who's trying to suggest that people should just stop posting outlandish theories altogether is probably just being a wet blanket. :P
Guess the Member with Kitva Hyperlink: show
"Hates me
Nothing but facts
Male"

"...Woeler?"

"ya"
Azdgari
big, wide turns

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 114

Postby Elton John » May 21st, 2018, 8:18 pm

[quote="Azdgari"][quote="TLK_Kid"]

But anyone who's trying to suggest that people should just stop posting outlandish theories altogether is probably just being a wet blanket. :P[/quote][/quote]

true, but no topic is above criticism.

i’ve created many topics that have gotten a lot of views with no posts other than mine. I think either due to a lack of interest in what i’m saying or they probably think it’s a bloody stupid topic.

I mean, I am grateful that friendly hyena is trying to revive discussion but uh....wait, are you giving me the ok to create zany fantheories :D
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Next

Return to The Lion King