Did Scar actually ban saying Mufasa's name and is he nuts?

Did Scar actually ban saying Mufasa's name and is he nuts?

Postby FriendlyHyena » May 16th, 2018, 5:35 am

When Zazu mutters "I'd never have had to do this with Mufasa!" Scar mutters "You know the law. Never mention that name in my presence. I am the king."

Furthermore, when Banzai says "And I thought things were bad under Mufasa....", Scar snaps "What did you say?!"

Now, there are two possibilities as to this:

1.) Scar actually, deep down, feels guilty for murdering Mufasa so tries to ban the name to hide from the guilt (much like Simba has used "Hukana Matata" to hide from his own guilt.)

2.) Scar is so stuck on himself that the idea that, even in death, his brother might be better than him is too much for him to stand, even driving him to the point of near insanity. It would also explain why he was so outraged that he struck Sarabi for saying "If you were half the king Mufasa was......"

While I'd hope that 1 is possible and that Scar could feel some remorse, the second possibility is the most likely, that Scar became so stuck on himself that he couldn't take criticism, especially comparing him to Mufasa, at all. While Scar might have had some ideas about ruling the Pride Lands, but as time went by, he became more paranoid that he couldn't be better than Mufasa and tuned out all criticism and eventually was so mad that he'd rather the whole pride (and the hyenas) die of hunger than admit that he was wrong.

Scar's behavior seems somewhat similar to Azula's in Avatar: The Last Airbender.
FriendlyHyena

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 2

Re: Did Scar actually ban saying Mufasa's name and is he nut

Postby TheLionPrince » May 16th, 2018, 9:20 pm

I think Scar banned Mufasa's name from being spoken so he wouldn't be viewed unfavorably in comparison to him. It fits his narcissist personality that was hinted in "Be Prepared" in which as king, he'd "seen as the wonder" he is. He could never see him as being wrong.
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Return to The Lion King