"Mufasa"/Manazoto language

"Mufasa"/Manazoto language

Postby KionScar » December 25th, 2016, 7:43 am

We know in Swahili that Taka (accepted name for Scar before he became Scar) means "Want" and "Trash" yet,
In Japan Taka actually means "Honorable". (Kiara isn't a Swahili name so why not)

Mufasa, there doesn't seem to be anything on even the language the name is supposedly from, but I did discover that

Mu in Chinese means either "admire, desire" or "tree, wood" depending how it's written.
Fa is Swahili for Die. :-o (AfricanLanguages.com)
Sa seems to be Arabic for Sky. Though it could be a shortened version of Saa, which in Egypt means "a nature god"
KionScar

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 10

Re: "Mufasa"/Manazoto language

Postby Justmeonhere » December 25th, 2016, 3:08 pm

Interesting. The meanings fits well too. Tough I've read (I don't remember where...) that the meaning of Mufasa in Swahili is "King of the cats" and it's a common name. I'll try to find more information.
"And your defect is a propensity to hate everybody."
"And yours," he replied with a smile, "is willfully to misunderstand them."
Pride and Prejudice Chapter 11
"Sir, you are no gentleman"
"And you, miss, are no lady... Don't think that I hold that against you. Ladies have never held any charm for me."
Scarlett and Rhett in Gone with the wind
Justmeonhere

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

May the Austen be with you!

Pride Points: 2

Postby TheLionPrince » December 26th, 2016, 11:19 pm

First things first, Taka is not Scar's real or original name if that's what you're implying. This is evident when on the audio commentary, the filmmakers did not state Simba and Nala's cub was Kopa, but was jokily referred to as "Fluffy". Simba's Pride came along, and "Fluffy" became Kiara. When the filmmakers and Simba's Pride denied Kopa, they denied the content of Six New Adventures from ever existing in the film universe. It's hard to call one or two stories canon, but not the main character which was Kopa.

Mufasa supposedly means "King" in the Manazato language, although any other information about this language doesn't exist except when it relates to Mufasa. Also, the name was known to be the name of the last king of the Bagada people of pre-colonial Kenya.
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Postby Justmeonhere » December 27th, 2016, 9:40 pm

Thanks TheLionPrince for the explanation.
"And your defect is a propensity to hate everybody."
"And yours," he replied with a smile, "is willfully to misunderstand them."
Pride and Prejudice Chapter 11
"Sir, you are no gentleman"
"And you, miss, are no lady... Don't think that I hold that against you. Ladies have never held any charm for me."
Scarlett and Rhett in Gone with the wind
Justmeonhere

May the Austen be with you!

Pride Points: 2

Postby KionScar » March 15th, 2017, 2:00 pm

[quote="TheLionPrince"]

Mufasa supposedly means "King" in the Manazato language, although any other information about this language doesn't exist except when it relates to Mufasa. Also, the name was known to be the name of the last king of the Bagada people of pre-colonial Kenya.[/quote]

I'm sad that Safari link leads to a 404 Page Not Found…

Now, I know Taka isn't used by Disney, but I said that it was "accepted by most" for Scar's true name such as in fanfics... :)

Either way, the name Mufasa split into thirds the meanings are interesting.

Mu: In TLK, at the gorge his dead body is beside a "Tree"
Fa: He dies
Sa: Sky. He does appear in the Sky in both movies, and TLG now...
KionScar

Pride Points: 10

Return to The Lion King