Was 'the lion king' originally a kimba adaptation?

Re: Was 'the lion king' originally a kimba adaptation?

Postby Captain Cupcake » May 7th, 2016, 12:36 pm

The problem with that site is how it tries to manipulate people into thinking certain scenarios are more similar to each other than they actually are by pairing some images together and not really specifying on the details and situations around them, trying to pass them off as identical scenes. One example that's just a flat out lie is the "dangling off of the cliff" one, as Kimba isn't dangling off of any cliff, but trying to avoid falling into a hole with spikes at the bottom. The lioness looking down from above (who is unrelated to him) almost falls in herself but is helped out by Kimba too. Then there's the matter of completely ignoring the Shakespearean, biblical, and other credited stories that inspired The Lion King and attributing it all to Kimba instead, citing it as its "main" source of inspiration despite being significantly different plot-wise, as well as not being the progenitor of the king/ruler motif, but merely another tale that's based on the themes and monikers people have associated with lions long before it.
Captain Cupcake
Hnnng...

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

HNNNGGGG!!!

Nickname(s): Master
Pride Points: 11

Postby gothprincesskiara » May 28th, 2016, 5:22 pm

what are the odds of this topic being talked about and im actually doing a role play on it, ok in conclusion for me, I respect Kimba for what it is and I say it was an adaptation and I would LOVE to share how I started my role play with it, because if you like my Facebook page, I am posting episodes of leo the lion for those who would like to watch it.

this is my role play introduction on it.
STORY TIME!
Goth Kiara returned home that night with Rafiki, and Kiara roared to call all the Pride member together in the den.
Goth Kiara: Everyone, Rafiki wants to tell us stories of the history of Leo the Lion and Kimba, the white lions, there stories are legend, come everyone we will gather for dinner and listen to Rafiki telll the story. Kion you will really enjoy this.
Kion: oh boy, a story, can the rest of the guard listen too?
GK:Rafiki wants all of you to hear the story, its important to know your history.
Rafiki: Agreed, now wake yourselves comfortable now, because this is true lion history. (clears throat) Before our time, our family history goes waaaaaay back before Pride Rock was formed, before this land was named the Pridelands, thousands of years ago, the land was very different back then, before these lands were formed. There were truths and myths of a the legendary white lions who were heros of the animals, the first white lion I will tell you of is Leo the Lion........(watch episode of Leo the Lion)
Want to RP with me? Want to join my Pride on Facebook? Click the Facebook Icon.
https://www.facebook.com/queengothkiara ... fekingdom/

Check out the TLK/TLG Merchandise Page on Facebook, like and follow, and tell other fans about it.
https://www.facebook.com/The-Lion-King- ... 165042753/

James Camerons AVATAR FANS PLEASE like my Avatar page if you want to RP on the planet of Pandora, im trying get to more like to grow my page, please help me.
https://www.facebook.com/Amiryat-from-A ... 805499620/
gothprincesskiara
I live by the Circle of Life

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

We are all connected in the great Circle of Life

Nickname(s): Kiara
Pride Points: 93

Postby Tembo » July 29th, 2017, 5:44 pm

I would like to show you this video in which they compare many scenes and situations that appeared in the Kimba series that then appeared in The Lion King: https://youtu.be/bL6gQxLBQU8

There are certainly some strong coincidences such as the father guiding the main character from the sky, the main character trying to eat bugs/plants in order not to eat his friends, the stampede in the gorge and some of the characters, specially the mandrill and the antagonist lion. As a fan of the Lion King (and having never liked Kimba very much in my childhood) I think that there is a strong posibility of the Lion King being based on Kimba and that Disney actually had the idea of making a movie out of the TV show.

But for whatever reason they did it, the result is so different and better from what we could call the original source of inspiration that the discussion becomes somehow superficial. We don't necessarily love the Lion King for the fact that there was a stampede in the gorge but because of the great music by Hans Zimmer and Lebo M that created the atmosphere for it, for the tension created by Mufasa wanting to save Simba and for the moment in which Scar appears to kill his brother. And none of that was inspired by Kimba.
Tembo

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 1

Postby TheLionPrince » July 29th, 2017, 10:13 pm

[quote="Tembo"]I would like to show you this video in which they compare many scenes and situations that appeared in the Kimba series that then appeared in The Lion King: https://youtu.be/bL6gQxLBQU8
[/quote]

Unfortunately, the video is blocked for me so I can't watch it.
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Postby Tembo » July 30th, 2017, 1:29 pm

Most of the comparisons shown in the video are widely known such as the gazelle climbing a tree to avoid the stampede with a parrot saying something and the one of the lion on top of the rock.

I attach two screenshot that also have some similitude for you to check them.

Other comparisons depicted in the video are forced in my opinion. Both animations about African wildlife, then it is quite obvious that you will find similar landscapes and the same species of animals doing the same things, it is useless to call plagiarism if you see a flock of flamingos flying or a lion and his mate cuddling with their cub.
Attachments
IMG_4127.PNG
IMG_4126.PNG
Tembo

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 1

Postby Elton John » July 30th, 2017, 2:27 pm

Whether the lion king was originally a kimba adaptation, did it plagarize Kimba or not, one thing i've noticed is that all of my Japanese friends on facebook (I have around 10-15 of them) either don't know or don't care either way.

One of them was in the Japanese production of the broadway musical. He played a background character for 200 shows. It was an odd coincidence that I met him. We just happened to have a simillar facebook friend.

It's purely anecdotal, but it seems that most of the people who bash tlk for these reasons are westerners.
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Postby Squeely » July 30th, 2017, 5:02 pm

I once read the argument that because Jungle Emperor Leo takes place in Africa and is a lengthy series spanning plenty of episodes, it was inevitable that plenty of similarities would exist between the two. This is something I agree with wholeheartedly. There are so many events throughout JEL, it would be nigh impossible for Disney to make an African movie starring lions and us not be able to play the "Here's a similar shot from JEL!" game. Panja stood on a rock? Lions stand on rocks all the time, they're useful vantage points. Both have a lion with a scar? I mean, have you seen photos of older lions in the wild? These dudes always get scarred up. Leo and Simba eat bugs? Gee, it's almost as if both stories needed some sort of cruelty-free diet for these two, but felines can't be vegetarian. They use mostly the same animals outside of lions? It's almost as if the same kinds of animals live in Africa or something. An ancestor appears as a cloud formation? Hardly a new concept. Plus, plenty of animals were considered that don't feature among JEL's main cast: a cheetah, a fox, an aardvark, and so on, but the animators ended up going with the ones they felt worked the best or what they liked the best. You can't limit your creativity to not include species of animals because a similar series used them.

I love Kimba/Leo. I grew up with a VHS with a lot of episodes of the original 60s dub. I also love TLK and spent the vast majority of my childhood obsessed with it. Never once did it occur to me that TLK might be ripping off Kimba, because when you look and think further than just "oh look a similar screenshot", they really aren't that similar.
Ask me anything!#TeamFemale on the Gender Race

Squeely

Sassy cub

Nickname(s): Debby, Debs, Deebee, Cap'n Squeels McDeebee
Telegram: @Squeely
Pride Points: 49

Postby SimbasGuard » July 31st, 2017, 9:42 pm

I am also a fan of both and if not for Lion King I would have never known about Kimba. TheLionPrince's evidence have ended this controversy for me. I also agree with Squeely The screen shot comparison as evidence of plagiarism is not valid due to the fact that all those scenes are from many different episodes of Kimba. I also believe (Even though I love them both) that The Lion King does far surpass Kimba on any level you wish to make comparisons. However both are great franchises and I wish more people recognized that.
My Avatar Was Made For Me By Thegeni99 Thank You So Much!

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride.
SimbasGuard
Guardian of the Pride Lands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride

Nickname(s): Anyone may shorten my name however they want.
Pride Points: 85

Previous

Return to The Lion King