Is Nala underused?

Re: Is Nala underused?

Postby Heleigh » April 2nd, 2019, 6:59 pm

I have never actually thought about that. Maybe in some ways, she is but as it was mentioned, TLK is about Simba and his story. The rest of the characters just comes along, some of them get more attention than others. Nala is important like the rest of the cast, but that's it. Although I think the main point in TLK is the relationship between father and son and the romance is added because, well...Disney.
Last edited by Heleigh on April 18th, 2019, 7:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Heleigh
In your reflection

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 1

Postby Elton John » April 3rd, 2019, 12:29 am

yes

she’s the best character in the movie.
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Postby Sigurd » April 5th, 2019, 6:55 am

I would love to have seen more of her travel from the Pride Lands to the jungle.
Until I'm home, I'm on a distant road
Sigurd

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 14

Postby Meskhenet » May 4th, 2019, 12:22 am

I wouldn't exactly say that she is underused. As other users have stated, The Lion King is centered around Simba and how he finds his place in the circle of life through the tribulations he's experienced. I would love for her to have more screen time, perhaps a scene where we can see how her and her pride sisters were affected during Scar's reign. However, she was primarily a love interest and reason for Simba to return home, face his past, and become king. She did her part and was included in the story where she was the most essential to the story.
Meskhenet
Let this prayer be your guide

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Always remember your pride

Nickname(s): Mesk
Pride Points: 21

Postby Hatari05 » May 4th, 2019, 7:50 am

Nala is very different with each appearance going through a large amount of character development. Cub Nala despite snarking at him all the time basically goes along with whatever Simba says, however she does motivate Simba to fight, as despite being afraid of the hyenas when cornered he tries to defend her. This is notable as it shows Cub Nala is actually a fairly weak individual on her own and her telling Simba I thought you were very brave was her turning point. Nala as a cub wasn't brave that was an act that clearly mimicked Simba as Nala during the elephant graveyard chase is running or cowering the whole time while Simba becomes more aggressive the more the danger to his loved ones grows.

Simba's attempts to protect her and even stand up for Zazu who he doesn't like inspired Nala to genuinely become stronger. This is why she is so disgusted by him in the jungle she remembered his example and now Simba is a coward it reflects Nala's own demons of the past her fear in the elephant graveyard. This isn't the person who inspired her to step up and the fact that Simba doesn't even trust her and thinks she doesn't understand stings even more as she saw the real him in the elephant graveyard and can't believe he himself doesn't see it.

Nala's quote about laughing at danger isn't only a callback but also her stating Simba won't have to protect her this time she can stand and fight which is why it's Nala who assembles the lioness to confront Scar, which plays into the deleted Scar scene which should be reinserted some time down the line as it's important to her character she tries to confront Scar but is forced to flee however unlike Simba Nala ran away to find help knowing she would return. During the can you feel the love tonight sequence and the scene after Nala has a big struggle and even temptation staying with Simba and forgetting the pride lands is the much easier choice but she ignores her personal feelings because that isn't who she or Simba truly are, so she doesn't fall to the temptation.

Nala's arc in Simba's pride is shockingly choosing to do nothing and letting Simba deal with his issues on his own which is a lot harder than it sounds. She doesn't let Simba get away with anything and always reminds him when he is out of line but she is far more passive about it. She trusts Kiara and let's her be free she does this knowing Simba won't listen and will tighten his grip on Kiara. Nala knows what is going on is between Kiara and Simba, she offers her assistance often like before we are one but already knows the answer.

She only steps in when she deems it the right answer like when she talks to him under the stars. Nala tells Simba his demons and that she knows them but rather than being upright she reflects his past onto Kovu because Nala can see how alike Simba and Kovu are but saying this won't help since Simba hates Scar's legacy so much. When Simba is exiling Kovu you can see the shock and horror on Nala's face she's like what are you doing and she's likely wondering if maybe she should've been more aggressive with Simba but before she needs to do anything Kiara steps in and says what Simba needed to hear.

The end in the gorge with Zira and Kiara Nala actually has a very important role which is shockingly doing nothing, because Simba has to do this on his own he has to be there for Kiara in this moment so he can finally leave this place behind and if Nala saves Kiara Simba will only see it as his failure again. Nala has to do nothing because this is between Simba and Kiara, and Simba has to find redemption in himself which means she has to have faith they will come out of this alright.

There's a lot there actually it's just not very clear immediately because Nala doesn't tell anyone her issues but that doesn't mean she's not going through stuff as these events happen. There's a lot more to Nala's character than it appears.
Hatari05

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): you can just call me Hatari for short
Pride Points: 26

Postby SimbasGuard » July 6th, 2019, 9:20 am

[quote="Hatari05"]She only steps in when she deems it the right answer like when she talks to him under the stars. Nala tells Simba his demons and that she knows them but rather than being upright she reflects his past onto Kovu because Nala can see how alike Simba and Kovu are but saying this won't help since Simba hates Scar's legacy so much. When Simba is exiling Kovu you can see the shock and horror on Nala's face she's like what are you doing and she's likely wondering if maybe she should've been more aggressive with Simba but before she needs to do anything Kiara steps in and says what Simba needed to hear.[/quote]

To back up what you are saying (not that you need any back up) I have always believed that had Kiara not gone after Kovu and The Outsiders not attacked that night Nala would have gotten in Simba's ear once he calmed down and made him see things differently.
My Avatar Was Made For Me By Thegeni99 Thank You So Much!

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride.
SimbasGuard
Guardian of the Pride Lands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride

Nickname(s): Anyone may shorten my name however they want.
Pride Points: 85

Postby SolarLunarLionWolf » December 26th, 2019, 6:16 pm

I do think it would be nice if Nala was given more focus as it can be kind of sad to see her be pushed to the sidelines compared to the rest of her family; however, since most of her character development having seemingly offscreen during Scar's reign it would be hard to have her grown like the rest of her family in a natural way that doesn't feel forced. Sadly it seems like the writers are backed in the corner when it comes to using her as seen in TLG as she was pretty much background character in most of RotR and only had a handful of episodes where she played a pivotal role in episodes.
SolarLunarLionWolf

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 0

Postby Biomac » December 31st, 2019, 7:43 pm

She definitely is. It would've been nicer, in my opinion, if she served another purpose than being Simba's love interest. But that's Disney after all, so we should expect such lazy writing when it comes to female characters. I always believed that the fact that the Broadway show giving her an additional scene with Scar, a more thought out and concrete motivation as for why she leaves the Pride Lands, is a response to the original movie, a way of saying she deserves better treatment and actual development.

I am the Hope of the Universe... I am the Answer to all Living Things that cry out for Peace... I am Protector of the Innocent... I am the Light in the Darkness... I am Truth - Goku.

Mosquitoes suck - Saitama.
Biomac

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Bio
Pride Points: 36

Postby Elton John » January 1st, 2020, 1:46 am

[quote="Biomac"]She definitely is. It would've been nicer, in my opinion, if she served another purpose than being Simba's love interest. But that's Disney after all, so we should expect such lazy writing when it comes to female characters. I always believed that the fact that the Broadway show giving her an additional scene with Scar, a more thought out and concrete motivation as for why she leaves the Pride Lands, is a response to the original movie, a way of saying she deserves better treatment and actual development.[/quote]

????????

that additional scene and more thought out motivation was from a cut idea from the original movie that was partially animated and even got voice acted

it was cut because at best it was sexual harassment, at worst... well, you know, the r word.

no way they could get away with that in a G rated movie.
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Postby Biomac » January 1st, 2020, 3:46 am

[quote="Elton John"][quote="Biomac"]She definitely is. It would've been nicer, in my opinion, if she served another purpose than being Simba's love interest. But that's Disney after all, so we should expect such lazy writing when it comes to female characters. I always believed that the fact that the Broadway show giving her an additional scene with Scar, a more thought out and concrete motivation as for why she leaves the Pride Lands, is a response to the original movie, a way of saying she deserves better treatment and actual development.[/quote]

????????

that additional scene and more thought out motivation was from a cut idea from the original movie that was partially animated and even got voice acted

it was cut because at best it was sexual harassment, at worst... well, you know, the r word.

no way they could get away with that in a G rated movie.[/quote]
Well, maybe I mixed things up since I haven't seen the Broadway performance. However, I at least know that the song Shadowlands refers to Nala leaving the Pride Lands, so that's an improvement compared to the movie, which didn't explain why she left her home. Now because this is Disney, then I guess you're right they wouldn't include any sexual harassment, but like some already pointed out, Nala is a pivotal character, and she lacks development, in fact, and serves as nothing much more than Simba's love interest. Just some explanation and a short scene would've done the job. I don't see where your confusion comes from...
Last edited by Biomac on January 1st, 2020, 3:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.

I am the Hope of the Universe... I am the Answer to all Living Things that cry out for Peace... I am Protector of the Innocent... I am the Light in the Darkness... I am Truth - Goku.

Mosquitoes suck - Saitama.
Biomac

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Bio
Pride Points: 36

PreviousNext

Return to The Lion King