Was the marriage of Sarabi and Mufasa arranged?

Was the marriage of Sarabi and Mufasa arranged?

Postby PrincessKiara » March 22nd, 2015, 12:07 pm

Do you think that the marriage between Mufasa and Sarabi was arranged when they were cubs, or were they allowed to fall in love on their own?
In TLK, Zazu tells Cub Simba and Cub Nala how great it is that they seem to have romantic feelings for each other, considering it`s already been arranged that they will get married upon growing up. The cubs themselves seemingly had no say in this... Zazu says that it`s a tradition going back generations, to which Simba replies that he`ll get rid of that first thing when he becomes king! ;) And we hear no talk of arranged marriage for Kiara in SP, so clearly he must have. :P

So what do you think? Did Mufasas parents choose a mate for their firstborn among the female cubs in the pride, or did they allow nature to take its course and let him find love on his own?
PrincessKiara
I`m no super genius. Or are I?

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Miles To Go Before I Sleep

Nickname(s): Solle
Pride Points: 40

Re: Was the marriage of Sarabi and Mufasa arranged?

Postby Lauren » March 22nd, 2015, 3:47 pm

I think their marriage was also arranged, but actually fell in love with each other when they got older like Simba and Nala did. Considering Zazu did make that point about this custom existing for previous generations, then I assume Mufasa and Sarabi went through the same thing as well as previous family members. I'm not an expert on African culture, but if they actually do have arranged marriages in some of their countries, then I suppose it doesn't bother me since they are matching the tones of actual African customs.

I defiantly think Simba stuck to his word and got rid of that law about having marriages arranged by the time SP came around. ;)
Lauren

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby TheLionPrince » March 22nd, 2015, 7:41 pm

Zazu's line that betrothal (and arranged marriages) is a "tradition going back generations" pretty much speaks for itself. In addition to being a social custom practiced in Africa, arranged marriages is common in some royal families. With that said, it's interesting to question whether Sarabi is a princess from another lion pride or is she just a non-royal lioness like Nala.

And yes, I have often wondered how Simba planned to continue his royal lineage after Kiara, but the writers of Simba's Pride most likely ignored or forgot about the betrothal line to accommodate the love story between her and Kovu. It's not known if Simba abolished the arraigned marriage tradition (since he probably forgot about making the threat given he forgot about his identity as heir to the throne) since there was no reason to bring it up because it would have complicated the story. However, it makes for a deeper, alternative version of Simba's Pride where Simba has found a suitable mate for his daughter, but Kiara falls in love with Kovu. It would create an interesting love triangle within the story and deepen how Kiara chooses to fulfill her duties to her pride, although this would make the story feel familiar to Pocahontas.
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Postby SimbasGuard » March 23rd, 2015, 6:03 am

Lauren and TheLionPrince have pretty much said it all. However I think that given the dignity that Sarabi carries herself with as Queen, it seems impossible to me that Sarabi could have been anything other than a Royal from Birth. As for Nala I definitely believe that Mufasa chose her for Simba. As for a strictly cannon (or more accurately an explanation that better fits with known cannon) reason why she was chosen. I think that due to Sarafina's close friendship with Sarabi, her daughter was given special consideration over any other potential prospects to be betrothed to Simba.
My Avatar Was Made For Me By Thegeni99 Thank You So Much!

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride.
SimbasGuard
Guardian of the Pride Lands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride

Nickname(s): Anyone may shorten my name however they want.
Pride Points: 85

Postby PrincessKiara » March 29th, 2015, 5:46 pm

Considering that Zazu mentions it`s a tradition which has been around for some time, I`d be surprised if the marriage between Mufasa and Sarabi had not been arranged.

You also raise a good point about Sarabi`s dignity - she acts like a true Queen! She may very well have been the princess of a different pride, or perhaps been given some special "queen-to-be" training as a cub/adolescent as she was to marry the crownprince one day.
PrincessKiara

Postby Marizzle » March 29th, 2015, 10:15 pm

[quote="SimbasGuard"]Lauren and TheLionPrince have pretty much said it all. However I think that given the dignity that Sarabi carries herself with as Queen, it seems impossible to me that Sarabi could have been anything other than a Royal from Birth. As for Nala I definitely believe that Mufasa chose her for Simba. As for a strictly cannon (or more accurately an explanation that better fits with known cannon) reason why she was chosen. I think that due to Sarafina's close friendship with Sarabi, her daughter was given special consideration over any other potential prospects to be betrothed to Simba.[/quote]
Beyond agreeing with Lauren and TheLionPrince that, yes, their marriage was arranged, I also think you've got a point here. Sarabi acts in a pure royal way and her friendship with Sarafina is somewhat similar to those that childhood friends have. Further more, Sarafina trust Sarabi's decision when Simba and Nala wanted to go "to the waterhole", meaning she trusted her own cub, Nala, not on her Queen, but on her friend. So, it's a possibility that their close friendship and trust bonds could have been the reason Nala was the chosen female to be betrothed to Simba.
Marizzle
Hope is the only thing

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Stronger than fear

Pride Points: 81

Postby KiarasBiggestFan » March 30th, 2015, 4:24 am

I assume so, since it was said by Zazu to be a tradition going back centuries.
KiarasBiggestFan
I am the ninja

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

We are one

Nickname(s): Kiara
Pride Points: 3

Postby Cowell_lk » April 3rd, 2015, 7:21 am

I know my view doesn't matter but I personally believe that after simba retook his place as the right full king of the prideslands, it was kind of a free for to get the prideslands back to its former glory, so I think simba forgot about the betrothed "rule" and married Nala cuz they loved each other not beacausr they were bethroled. Another reason I believe simba got ride of the rule is cuz he never brings it up to Kiara in SP. Regarding sarabi and mufasa I100% belive that their marriage was aranged. Like Zazu said the bethroling traction went back for generation.
Cowell_lk
Nala = bae

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Bacon
Pride Points: 5

Postby SimbasGuard » April 3rd, 2015, 9:14 am

[quote="Cowell_lk"]I know my view doesn't matter[/quote]

I don't speak for PrincessKiara nor anyone else on this Forum, but I know that when I stated a Thread I wanted the opinions and views of the other members. I may not have agreed with other opinions, and at times I am guilty of going overboard to disprove a theory I disagreed with. However I doubt that this Forum would even exist without different opinions. So I would not say that another view or opinion did not matter, I just might not have agreed with it.

[quote="Cowell_lk"]I think simba forgot about the betrothed "rule" and married Nala cuz they loved each other not beacausr they were bethroled.[/quote]

I believe that as well, I think Simba loved Nala too much not to ask her to marry him. Rather than to try to enforce a betrothal, that would have actually been nullified by his supposed death.

[quote="Cowell_lk"]Another reason I believe simba got ride of the rule is cuz he never brings it up to Kiara in SP.[/quote]

True, although if the betrothal rule was in effect I doubt Simba would have deemed any lion worthy of being betrothed to his little girl :lol:

[quote="Cowell_lk"]Regarding sarabi and mufasa I100% belive that their marriage was aranged. Like Zazu said the bethroling traction went back for generation.[/quote]
That is also true, but something I'd like to point out is even though Mufasa And Sarabi's marrage was likely an arranged one. It is very obvious that Mufasa And Sarabi love each other very much.
Last edited by SimbasGuard on April 6th, 2015, 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Avatar Was Made For Me By Thegeni99 Thank You So Much!

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride.
SimbasGuard
Guardian of the Pride Lands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride

Nickname(s): Anyone may shorten my name however they want.
Pride Points: 85

Postby PrincessKiara » April 5th, 2015, 10:55 pm

[quote="Cowell_lk"]I know my view doesn't matter but I personally believe that after simba retook his place as the right full king of the prideslands, it was kind of a free for to get the prideslands back to its former glory, so I think simba forgot about the betrothed "rule" and married Nala cuz they loved each other not beacausr they were bethroled. Another reason I believe simba got ride of the rule is cuz he never brings it up to Kiara in SP. Regarding sarabi and mufasa I100% belive that their marriage was aranged. Like Zazu said the bethroling traction went back for generation.[/quote]

You make a good and fair point. :)
I`d also like to mention that everbody`s views/opinions matter here, we`re all here to discuss TLK and share our thoughts.
PrincessKiara

Next

Return to The Lion King