Storyboard/pencil tests for TLK

Storyboard/pencil tests for TLK

Postby TheLionPrince » November 7th, 2014, 11:41 pm

Hello, everyone, apparently there's a workprint of the movie leaked online filled with storyboard and early pencil tests mixed with voiceovers of the cast, and can be downloaded from a torrent (see here). However, to safe us the trouble, a YouTube user uploaded videos from this workprint. I am not positively sure that they were featured on the Laserdisc, but I know for certain they were not on the 2003 DVD or the 2011 Blu-Ray editions. Other than that, it's basically the finalized version of the movie but with scenes in different order most notably Simba's argument with Nala about returning home and the hyenas complaining to Scar about food happening before Scar summons Sarabi, and different lines.

(Note: Using the YouTube link the forum has would have took up so much shape so I just made them clickable links.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iznJf8KZnY ("Circle of Life")

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1i3c8kSycA ("I Just Can't Wait to Be King")

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AaCsPAV3HA ("Be Prepared")

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EA8ODZAtsu4 ("Stampede")

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5fyGO2YczY ("Can You Feel the Love Tonight") - Noticeably, there are different lyrics for the solo parts of Simba and Nala, and the Laserdisc never made seem like the Simba/Nala and Timon/Pumbaa demo versions seem like one continuous song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajd16gEk6dY (Mufasa's ghost) - Interestingly, the argument scene between Simba and Nala was actually placed before the CYFTLT sequence (if you download the workprint torrent), and there are early animation tests for adult Simba who had a different design in the first half of the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KW4UnT1G8Y ("Battle of Pride Rock")
Last edited by TheLionPrince on November 20th, 2014, 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Re: Storyboard/pencil tests for TLK

Postby Elton John » November 7th, 2014, 11:56 pm

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice

this is worthy of a pride point!
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Postby Captain Cupcake » November 9th, 2014, 11:04 am

Caught some of these uploads a few days back. I was really excited to see the Mufasa's ghost segment. Other than Simba's hilarious old mane, one thing I found worthy of note were the temp tracks utilized for the Mufasa's ghost segment.

For those who were greatly familiar with the film's score back in the day, some had believed that Simba's theme was inspired by one of the main themes of Ennio Morricone's The Mission. Given that Zimmer is a huge fanboy of the guy, it wasn't a total stretch. An earlier partially unused piece for TLK even references another Morricone score outright. And now we have this storyboard test which utilizes two cues from The Mission, the latter of which("The Falls") being the material that was thought to have served as inspiration for Simba's motif. Given its use in the work print, It seems like that was actually the case. Also, for any score nerds out there, the temp track used at the very beginning of that clip is from the second Gods Must Be Crazy film. :P
Captain Cupcake
Hnnng...

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

HNNNGGGG!!!

Nickname(s): Master
Pride Points: 11

Postby SimbasGuard » November 10th, 2014, 7:30 am

TheLionPrince you find the most amazing things. I can not tell you how much it means to me to see things like this.
My Avatar Was Made For Me By Thegeni99 Thank You So Much!

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride.
SimbasGuard
Guardian of the Pride Lands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride

Nickname(s): Anyone may shorten my name however they want.
Pride Points: 85

Postby FlipMode » November 11th, 2014, 8:26 pm

[quote="TheLionPrince"] I am not positively sure that they were featured on the Laserdisc, but I know for certain they were not on the 2003 DVD or the 2011 Blu-Ray editions.[/quote]

I think they were on the Laserdisc, they didn't transfer them over to the DVD or Blu Ray though. There are certain sinppets of the Circle of Life storyboard in the stroyboard - final movie comparison feature but I think that's about it.
That's pretty cool though, hope they stay on YouTube this time. I think I've seen at least one of these before but its nice to have a place to see all of them in one place and they are quite hard to find usually. Nicely done, TLP! :)
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Postby PrincessKiara » November 18th, 2014, 2:47 pm

Great job finding these, thanks for posting them! :D
PrincessKiara
I`m no super genius. Or are I?

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Miles To Go Before I Sleep

Nickname(s): Solle
Pride Points: 40

Postby murilogrillo » May 4th, 2015, 6:12 am

Hello everyone, I'm new here, but I'm a huge fan of TLK.
I uploaded all the songs (that I could find) from the Workprint version in good quality, with all scenes that they're related.

The Workprint features song from The Mission and from The Power of One by Hans Zimmer.

2021/01 update: The video I did was delete from youtube due to copyrights, but someone saved it on dailymotion and it still available .
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2ox9nh
Last edited by murilogrillo on January 4th, 2021, 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
murilogrillo

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Telegram: murilogrillo
Pride Points: 2

Postby Iberian » May 4th, 2015, 8:49 pm

----------------------------
Last edited by Iberian on October 10th, 2016, 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iberian

Pride Points: 14

Postby Captain Cupcake » May 4th, 2015, 11:34 pm

What I find funny is, even though it seems Ennio Morricone's "The Falls" motif from The Mission inspired Simba's reoccurring theme, its use in the workprint are for segments that wound up not actually using Simba's material in the final version of the film, but Mufasa's instead.

Also, here's that The Gods Must Be Crazy II track I mentioned a few months earlier in the thread that was also used in the workprint:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8FCjG-siAA

And this hasn't got anything to do with the workprint, but here's the segment of Cockeye's Song from Once Upon a Time in America's score(also done by Ennio Morricone) that Hans Zimmer referenced in the unused portion of Hyena's in the Pride Lands:
https://youtu.be/LTp6GEIDj7M?t=1m
Captain Cupcake
Hnnng...

HNNNGGGG!!!

Nickname(s): Master
Pride Points: 11

Postby TheLionPrince » May 18th, 2015, 5:44 am

I'll also like to thank Murilo Grillo for uploading more of the storyreel versions of additional scenes in the film:

(Interestingly, this "Be Prepared" reprise (at the end of the video) was used for Scar's eulogy and coronation instead of the Blu-Ray version where it was used by Scar to bring in the hyenas to weaken the lionesses' insurrection following Nala's refusal to marry him. Also, some of the hyenas' lyrics are different.)

Last edited by TheLionPrince on May 18th, 2015, 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Next

Return to The Lion King