No votes
Scar
5%
Other
No votes

Total votes : 20

Re: Think About This

Postby Regulus » June 11th, 2014, 1:17 pm

In comparison, Scar never had anyone important to him to lose. He had neither a son nor a mate. All he had was his title as king... which, unlike Mufasa, he wasn't given the title at his birth. He actually had to work for it (albeit by unethical means). No one except maybe Zira and/or the hyenas respected him for that. His entire life's work, his master plan which was everything he was, was pretty much shunned by everyone else.

Sarabi still had her sisters after she lost Simba and Mufasa, but as you could see, Scar was too far removed from his own pride. He was probably closer to the hyenas than his own kind, and we know that relationship wasn't so great, either. There really wasn't anyone who Scar actually cared about, and while that means he didn't lose anyone he cared about, it also means that he never experienced what Sarabi had beforehand.

They both lost what was important to them, but Scar had much less to lose, and lost everything in the end. Sarabi definitely didn't lose everything. She was still the queen, and she still had strong relations with her pride, who she obviously worked in tandem with to keep herself up and pull through until the end. Not to mention that the Pridelanders seem to have this unifying "he lives in you" philosophy, which probably helped her to cope with her losses. Scar's only method of coping was to believe himself better than everyone else, who blamed all the problems on him.

Still think Sarabi had it worst? It pretty much all comes down to whether or not having something and losing it is worse than never having something at all.

I mean, Scar either wanted to have a family of his own, or he didn't. If he did want that, then something he did must have failed, because he didn't get what he wanted. If he didn't want a family of his own, then all he wanted was to be king, and he had to live knowing that he failed at that, too. Either way, Scar had to live with knowing that he was pretty much a total failure at everything he did—hence his narcissistic personality to cover up his true feelings about himself.
Regulus
Is differentiable...

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

But convergence is not guaranteed.

Nickname(s): Reg, Regs, Last Person to Post
Pride Points: 206

Postby Perrys Girlfriend » June 11th, 2014, 4:17 pm

Okay, well, at of all those choices, I would have to say...Zazu.

Does any one here sympathize with Zazu?
I forever remember my grandfather, Scott, who died on August 10, 2015 at the age of 60. R.I.P
Perrys Girlfriend
Robert Muldoon

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

He saved lives by giving his

Nickname(s): Sam, Samie, Sammi Jo, JP candy warden :D
Pride Points: 19

Postby Carl » June 11th, 2014, 4:46 pm

[quote]Still think Sarabi had it worst? It pretty much all comes down to whether or not having something and losing it is worse than never having something at all.[/quote]
Well, having experienced having nothing and no one for years and knowing the amount of pain I get thinking about losing one of the people I have now... Yes. I do still think Sarabi had it worse. I was never happy when I had nothing and was often depressed, but I was much happier than I'd be if I lost my people now. Sure Scar lost the only thing he achieved, but he did achieve it, and had he not fought Simba, he could have regained his title one day, perhaps somewhere else, and it could have gone better for him later. Sarabi could never get back Mufasa, and certainly thought she wouldn't get Simba back either.

[quote="Zazulover4915"]Okay, well, at of all those choices, I would have to say...Zazu.

Does any one here sympathize with Zazu?[/quote]
Of course people sympathize with him. He didn't lose as much as others though, and he wasn't forced to over hunt, and he wasn't constantly surrounded by the snapping hyenas. The lionesses definitely had it worse than him.
Carl

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Welcome to Carlmunism.

Nickname(s): Just call me Carl Marx.
Pride Points: 269

Postby Perrys Girlfriend » June 11th, 2014, 4:49 pm

True, but he had to be trapped up in a cage, lose his freedom, starve, sing to Scar, never be allowed to fly, get threats from Scar to get eaten by hyenas, and never got a chance to get out of Pride Rock.
I forever remember my grandfather, Scott, who died on August 10, 2015 at the age of 60. R.I.P
Perrys Girlfriend
Robert Muldoon

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

He saved lives by giving his

Nickname(s): Sam, Samie, Sammi Jo, JP candy warden :D
Pride Points: 19

Postby Regulus » June 11th, 2014, 5:08 pm

[quote="Julie Skywalker"]Well, having experienced having nothing and no one for years and knowing the amount of pain I get thinking about losing one of the people I have now... Yes. I do still think Sarabi had it worse. I was never happy when I had nothing and was often depressed, but I was much happier than I'd be if I lost my people now. Sure Scar lost the only thing he achieved, but he did achieve it, and had he not fought Simba, he could have regained his title one day, perhaps somewhere else, and it could have gone better for him later. Sarabi could never get back Mufasa, and certainly thought she wouldn't get Simba back either.[/quote]

Well of course you would say that. :P

I'd rather have a family and lose it to a natural cause such as a stampede than go through life without ever having a family at all. If the latter was the preferable option, then in theory, no one would seek out social interaction. I mean, you're inevitably going to lose what you have sooner or later, anyway. Nothing lasts forever, so either you're going to be the first one to die, or someone you love will. I suppose that's a pretty grim outlook on life, but that fear of losing people doesn't stop people from becoming attached. People form families knowing that it will inevitably end in death because that's still the preferable option—preferable to ending in death without a family.

And besides, this isn't to say that Scar didn't suffer some loss of his own before he became king. We have no way of knowing what it was that drove him to such ends... but the fact that he was driven to such ends is ultimately a sign of some sort of suffering, whatever it was. Something made him desensitized to death, and a possible death of his own mate before the film started is a potential cause, now that I think about it. That would incite the "if the one I love doesn't get to live, then no one else should either," type of thought.
Regulus
Is differentiable...

Postby Carl » June 11th, 2014, 5:50 pm

[quote="Zazulover4915"]True, but he had to be trapped up in a cage, lose his freedom, starve, sing to Scar, never be allowed to fly, get threats from Scar to get eaten by hyenas, and never got a chance to get out of Pride Rock.[/quote]
Yes he did and he did suffer greatly. I'm not saying it didn't suck for him. Just that all of those things except being trapped in a cage applied to the lionesses as well. As did more things.

[quote="Regulus"]And besides, this isn't to say that Scar didn't suffer some loss of his own before he became king. We have no way of knowing what it was that drove him to such ends... but the fact that he was driven to such ends is ultimately a sign of some sort of suffering, whatever it was. Something made him desensitized to death, and a possible death of his own mate before the film started is a potential cause, now that I think about it. That would incite the "if the one I love doesn't get to live, then no one else should either," type of thought.[/quote]
Yes, that is possible. But there are also mental states that could be the cause that don't involve him having lost anything.
Carl

Welcome to Carlmunism.

Nickname(s): Just call me Carl Marx.
Pride Points: 269

Postby Regulus » June 11th, 2014, 5:57 pm

[quote="Julie Skywalker"]Yes, that is possible. But there are also mental states that could be the cause that don't involve him having lost anything.[/quote]

But what are the odds? Hmm... research time. :)
Regulus
Is differentiable...

Postby KingCub » June 11th, 2014, 11:02 pm

One thing to also think about, is do you think Scar actually had any sadness and grief regarding, you know, him killing his only brother? I know this has been discussed before, but its still pretty open. If he did, then it might be harder to pick between him and Sarabi (Even though Im keeping my vote to Sarabi)

Even the worse people have to feel something right?
You are what you love, not who loves you.
Thanks Regulus for the lovely siggy!
Other Things~
Spoiler: show

Thank you Kib and SimbasMate!

Photography | Ask Me Stuff | Facebook | My Computer
KingCub

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): KC, Ty
Pride Points: 28

Postby DGFone » June 11th, 2014, 11:11 pm

I voted for Sarabi because not only does she have her own problems to deal with (losing her husband and son easily qualify to the top position just by default), but as the ex-queen, she also has to shoulder the burden of the rest of the pride. I don't think that it's wrong to assume that the other lionesses in the pride look for Sarabi to help them deal with their troubles. Then we also know for a fact that Sarabi has to deal with Scar, and his... wonderful administrative policies. I imagine that trying to keep the lion in charge to change so that starvation will not be the death of the pride, only for nothing to happen, is very stressful to save the least.
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby Regulus » June 11th, 2014, 11:27 pm

[quote="KingCub"]One thing to also think about, is do you think Scar actually had any sadness and grief regarding, you know, him killing his only brother? I know this has been discussed before, but its still pretty open. If he did, then it might be harder to pick between him and Sarabi (Even though Im keeping my vote to Sarabi)

Even the worse people have to feel something right?[/quote]

Yes, that's exactly my point.

It probably seemed like a good idea at first, but I'm sure that once he saw that he wasn't as good of a king as he thought he would be, he immediately had some regret. He didn't just kill his brother; he killed his brother and failed miserably at taking over the job. All of his life's work crumbled in front of him.
Regulus
Is differentiable...

PreviousNext

Return to The Lion King