Would you say this movie is more of a comedy or a drama?

Re: Would you say this movie is more of a comedy or a drama?

Postby it means no worries » August 23rd, 2014, 1:39 pm

^yeah, dat!
it means no worries

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 63

Postby SimbasGuard » August 23rd, 2014, 10:33 pm

I would describe The Lion King as a drama with some comedy used to keep the mood from becoming too intense.
My Avatar Was Made For Me By Thegeni99 Thank You So Much!

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride.
SimbasGuard
Guardian of the Pride Lands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride

Nickname(s): Anyone may shorten my name however they want.
Pride Points: 85

Postby Queen_Nala » September 13th, 2014, 5:14 pm

Animation drama, with some comedy. But mostly drama since cos of big tragedy and love story.
Queen_Nala
Young Queen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Come cuddle with me...

Nickname(s): Nala, Little one, Young one, Young Queen, Angel
Pride Points: 2

Postby Haraka » September 13th, 2014, 5:21 pm

As said before , i think it's a lot more of drama than comedy. It's only present so the spectator get a bit of relief.
Haraka

Pride Points: 10

Postby Timon the great » November 2nd, 2015, 5:27 am

To me, I lean on the comedy side. Aside from the fact that all three films have an "experimental" feel to them (particularly the first and third), and all of the dramatic scenes combined, I really don't see the first film as anything like an official drama.

There are a Good deal (and I emphasize that with a capital G) of comedy scenes / moments (even mixed into dramatic ones), and every single character here on the first film exhibits some kind of comedy in one way or another, including Mufasa, Sarabi, and Sarafina who aren't considered comic relief characters at all. I was even surprised when I came back to the films a few years ago to see even Scar as not all that of what would be considered a "real villain" despite him killing Mufasa. Be it, dark type of humor or not coming from him.

Comedy and funny stuff is basically inevitable on any kind of media you can think of nowadays, and I like it that way *although that generally may be getting more replaced by violence material now as of late*. Though, just because it's funny doesn't mean it's not sincere. Laughter is always good medicine. And Timon is one of those who does a wonderful and thoughtful job on that.

[quote="S1mb4 D4 L10n"]:lol: That doesn't even sound like a word XD. English is such a derpy language[/quote]
I think that's the product of a language that's classified as "alive". Meaning, words never cease to be added or changed around in the society dictionary as I learned about in my first English course in college. So something like "tragi-comedy" obviously didn't exist in the English dictionary back in the 1700s or possibly even much later back in the mid-1900s.
"I found a place that was beyond my wildest dreams. But..., it still wasn't home." - Timon; Lion King 1 1/2 (3)

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Timon L. Berkowitz

Pride Points: 29

Postby Hatari05 » November 12th, 2015, 6:44 am

I would say the movie is mostly drama, the first sections with cub Samba are mostly light but still more focused on character interactions.

Simba's presentation, Rafiki painting the simba picture, Both Mufasa and Simba scenes, the elephant Grave yard well listen to the music during the scene and of course we can't forget the entire section in the gorge. Comedy is pretty subdued even in those bits.

The adult Simba sections well, the scene under the stars is rather sad despite Timon and Pumps, Nala reunion a little humor but mostly about Simba's uncertainty, the argument and Rafiki scene pretty self explanatory and of course Scar's confession as well as the final face off between Simba and scar.

The movie is mostly focused on the drama and characters yeah there's plenty of humor but it's not the focus, there are very few full on comedy scenes instead the humor is sprinkled throughout the drama scenes.

True many of the characters are humorous but the two main ones Simba and Nala are not even as cubs they're more light heartened than humorous. So I feel the movie is more focused on drama. I would say the same holds true for Simba's Pride. I feel only 1 1/2 is the only one that actually a comedy.
Hatari05

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): you can just call me Hatari for short
Pride Points: 26

Postby Ultra Fox » November 12th, 2015, 6:59 am

It's a good mix of both, honestly.
Ultra Fox
lyING kInG!!!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

woRSt MoVIE!!!!!!!!!!!!! >:(

Nickname(s): meem machine >;)
Pride Points: 97

Postby Tsuki » November 12th, 2015, 8:45 pm

Hmmm...well as it's based on Hamlet and I believe Hamlet is a Drama. But I think it's got a good mix of both.
[center]Image
Awards and Stuff: show
ImageImage
Shared with Rilliane
Sigs by Shadowfax, Nilla, Julie, Simba's Mate, Sophiecub, Tora, Flip and Buffy <333. Avatar by Kay <3
Tsuki

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 88

Postby SimbaPrescott » November 12th, 2015, 9:05 pm

I think it's more of a drama with some funny scenes thrown in at the right moments. To me, a film based more on comedy would be more like the Minions movie where barely anything is taken seriously (save for one part at the end), and there are no real negative outcomes. TLK has a good mix of both though, and knows exactly when to use comedic relief and when to keep it at bay.
Image is an Epic Mickey concept art. We could have had this in EM3. I still want it.
SimbaPrescott
I laugh in the face of danger.

He told me no one could defeat me...

Nickname(s): Kari, Simba, Prescott
Pride Points: 27

Postby Roaring Lion » November 16th, 2015, 5:43 pm

I believe it is a drama with comedic elements for the younger audiences. The only reason why it had comedy in it, is because it's a disney film
Roaring Lion
Roar! :)

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Keep on roaring!

Nickname(s): Alex
Pride Points: 3

PreviousNext

Return to The Lion King