50%
Kinda
29%
Not really
7%

Total votes : 14

Did Pumba overreact?

Postby EdtheHyena » February 20th, 2014, 9:39 pm

In the "hey, who's the pig?" scene, Pumbaa literally almost kills Shenzi and Banzai, just because Banzai called him a pig. I think that's overreacting. It wasn't even intended as an insult; Banzai was just calling him by his species. He beat Shenzi up when she didn't do anything, and what's worse, he didn't even give them time to run or explain or anything. I'm sorry, but as a fan of the hyenas, I'm very antagonistic towards Pumba in this scene, and feel it portrays him as a bit of a bully.

"Don't lose you're way...with each passing day...you've come so far, don't throw it away."
EdtheHyena

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Eddie
Pride Points: 3

Re: Did Pumba overreact?

Postby TheLionPrince » February 20th, 2014, 10:29 pm

That whole scene was a send-up of the famous movie line, "They call me Mister Tibbs!", from In the Heat of the Night. While Simba and Timon called Pumbaa a pig when they were stargazing, they were just stating his animal family (Suidae). As for Banzai's remark, Pumbaa probably took it as being mentioned he's fat hence the term pig. Remember in the third film, Pumbaa was offended at being called fat, though Timon stated it was a compliment because he is literally a pig. So, if in reference to obesity, Pumbaa did over-react, though some people don't like to be told they're fat, but they certainly won't beat up someone because of it. In the context of the movie, it was meant to be nothing more and nothing less of a humorous pop culture reference.
Last edited by TheLionPrince on February 20th, 2014, 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Postby juhouh » February 20th, 2014, 10:31 pm

No. Is that overreacting to kill your enemy in a war?
Ask me - My Playlist - Steam
"Never trust the future, Never miss the past, If you live for the shining moment, The moment may just last…"
Signature by SimbasMate
juhouh
Nalaholic

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Juho
Pride Points: 46

Postby EdtheHyena » February 21st, 2014, 1:26 am

[quote="juhouh"]No. Is that overreacting to kill your enemy in a war?[/quote]

But Pumba is a nice guy...he wouldn't kill someone just because they made a remark that he took to be about his weight.

"Don't lose you're way...with each passing day...you've come so far, don't throw it away."
EdtheHyena

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Kiburi » February 21st, 2014, 2:11 am

I think this whole thing was really just for the laughs. Plus, I'm not sure that fighting with your somewhat mortal enemies counts as bullying...
Kiburi
A waffle is like

A pancake with a syrup trap

Nickname(s): Kib, Kibbles, Kibbles n' Bits
Pride Points: 28

Postby The Spirit of Life » February 21st, 2014, 2:48 am

^^ Basically what I came here to say as well. It was war, and the scene, at least in my opinion, was made to add a bit of comic relief/humour to the situation.

Not to mention, the hyenas had just tried to/were going to eat Timon, Pumbaa's best friend, moments before "Mr. Pig" showed up on the scene. It wasn't really hard to see why he had a bone to pick with them.
The Spirit of Life
oh, oh, iyo ...

mamela.

Pride Points: 21

Postby DGFone » February 21st, 2014, 3:15 am

This is what I think about that scene:

In The Lion King, the derogatory phrases about pigs still exist. After all, remember Pumbaa's comment of "I ate like a pig!". So when Banzai calls him a pig, I think it was both used as a species and an insult, because I think the proper way to name Pumbaa based on species alone would be "Hey, who's the warthog?" After all, Banzai's phrase would be akin to asking if a lion came bye, "Hey, who's the cat?" Just not specific enough. But if an insult is also meant, using the term pig would be fine.

So while Pumbaa can get mad at others who he doesn't know calling a pig, also remember that the hyenas had Pumbaa's friend in danger. I think that was more important than being called a pig, because Pumbaa sounded already quite mad before the hyenas noticed him. Just listen to how he says "drop 'em!".
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby Lauren » February 21st, 2014, 4:59 am

In one sense, maybe he did overreact, but not like it's to the point where the reaction is annoying. It's clearly just for comedy in the little scenario while the larger and intense fight between the lions and the other hyenas is happening outside the rock.
Lauren

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby EdtheHyena » February 21st, 2014, 6:28 am

I thought the line was "Problem?", making it sound like he's trying to sort it out humanely, which is why what happened afterwards came across as bullying. If it was "drop him!" that would make more sense.

EdtheHyena

Postby juhouh » February 21st, 2014, 10:51 am

[quote="EdtheHyena"]But Pumba is a nice guy...he wouldn't kill someone just because they made a remark that he took to be about his weight.[/quote]
It's natural, if your friend calls you an idiot you might take it as a joke, but if someone you hate does the same you might go rampage. There's a big difference if Timon (who is his best friend) or the hyenas (who tries to eat them) calls him "Pig"
Ask me - My Playlist - Steam
"Never trust the future, Never miss the past, If you live for the shining moment, The moment may just last…"
Signature by SimbasMate
juhouh
Nalaholic

Nickname(s): Juho
Pride Points: 46

Next

Return to The Lion King