What do you think Scar/Taka was like in his childhood?

Re: What do you think Scar/Taka was like in his childhood?

Postby Kiburi » March 20th, 2014, 4:35 pm

[quote="DGFone"]
I might be a minority, but I don't think that Mohatu was abusive towards Scar as a cub. It's a very popular fan theory, but it is one that I don't buy.[/quote]
I completely agree with this theory. And I think that we are in the minority.
Kiburi
A waffle is like

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

A pancake with a syrup trap

Nickname(s): Kib, Kibbles, Kibbles n' Bits
Pride Points: 28

Postby Carl » March 20th, 2014, 5:47 pm

[quote="Kiburi"][quote="DGFone"]
I might be a minority, but I don't think that Mohatu was abusive towards Scar as a cub. It's a very popular fan theory, but it is one that I don't buy.[/quote]
I completely agree with this theory. And I think that we are in the minority.[/quote]
I agree with that theory as well, although:

[quote="MooLion"]Is that his dad? I'm not really up with these things. If so, I'd also agree that I doubt he would've been abusive to Scar. From what I've gaged of that lion line and how Mufasa was, that behaviour doesn't seem to fit.[/quote]
I think DGF meant Ahadi, rather than Mohatu. Mohatu is from "The Brightest Star," and is referred to as Simba's great-grandfather, thus making him Mufasa's grandfather. Meanwhile, "A Tale of Two Brothers" names the father of Mufasa and Taka as Ahadi.
Carl

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Welcome to Carlmunism.

Nickname(s): Just call me Carl Marx.
Pride Points: 269

Postby MooLion » March 20th, 2014, 7:07 pm

^ Aah, I see. ;) I'll try and remember these names...
~Banner by Amy!~
"Your mother on the other hand, I admired her. She wanted to have me executed... but I admired her." ~ Tyrion
MooLion
You poisoned the moonlight

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

When you put out the sun

Nickname(s): Moo
Pride Points: 15

Postby DGFone » March 21st, 2014, 7:26 am

Whoops, my bad. I did mean Ahadi. It's good to see, though, that I am not the only one with the opinion of that Ahadi was not some sort of abusing monster.

After all, if Mufasa was so wise and great, I don't see how he could have idealized his father so much if Ahadi was so flawed.
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby TheLionPrince » March 22nd, 2014, 7:16 pm

Given the filmmakers were recorded on the audio commentary featured on the Blu-Ray/DVD releases, they denied Kopa from existing in the movie universe when they nick-named Simba and Nala's cub, "Fluffy". Therefore, when they denied Kopa, they denied the events featured in the Six New Adventures including Scar and Mufasa's childhood. There's certainly nothing wrong with fitting the story into your own personal canon, but some events don't seem to line up with the movie universe. For example, it's explained in Simba's Pride that an eye scar (like Kovu's) comes from a lion's claw whereas the books explained it originated from a water buffalo's horn. So, what I'm trying to say, it's likely Ahadi and Uru are not the official/canon names of Mufasa and Scar's parents, and Taka is not Scar's original name.

As for questioning why Mufasa carries a high opinion of his father when in theory, he was short-tempered and abusive towards Scar, it's quite possible that Mufasa judged the situation from his perspective, and saw he was the one in right standing.

My theory is that Mufasa's father gave more attention to Mufasa since he was his first-born and his heir apparent. Scar (or his original name whatever he may have had) probably thought he was just as qualified because he thought of himself as an intellectual. In an attempt to get his father to notice him and be proud of him, Scar tried to offer ideas to fix the problems the kingdom was facing, but his proposals were rejected one after another. His mother offered some solace, but his father's lack of approval was something he desired, but could never obtain. He tried to place his ideas into action, but it turned into a disaster. The father got angry at the mess he created, and struck him leaving him a scar over his eye. Before Mufasa takes power, his mother passes away erasing any sense of goodness in his heart, and allies with the hyenas with whom he can feel intellectually superior to (and doesn't see them as the monsters his father and Mufasa make them out to be). By the time Mufasa takes power, Scar has grown cold-hearted and once again, has no sense of influence in his brother's kingdom. Obtaining the throne is his proof he can show others he can be a capable king.
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Postby Carl » March 22nd, 2014, 7:35 pm

^ True, those names are not official; in my case I use them for convenience. I don't consider the events of the books to be canon either, or the water buffalo theory in general, and I think many people simply use those names to fill in the blanks, so-to-speak.

As for your theory, I think it's rather plausible, and have actually seen a few fics that work out similarly. They usually flow rather well and are believable. :) There are many that work and I'm sure there's an infinite supply of theories that would make sense on this topic.
Carl

Welcome to Carlmunism.

Nickname(s): Just call me Carl Marx.
Pride Points: 269

Postby ScarLoyal » April 8th, 2014, 3:40 pm

It's also possible that Ahadi wasn't 'abusive' but power-hungry and wanted to morph Mufasa into a great King, i also believe that the hyenas may of manipulated Taka to distrust his 'real' family and see the Clan as his true family but as well as giving them what they want, A much better land and food!
Though there would be times where he'd find something 'good' in his life such as a mate. But they would convince him that every lion is unjust and cruel.
This could've even led Taka to do a terrible thing that would make him look 'dangerous' in front of the entire Pride, Mufasa maybe loved his brother more than we thought and gave him a second chance... due to the many unfortunate things that he has suffered but we all KNOW what that caused. :(

However, it's not too farfetched to say that maybe even the great Mufasa was a bully to young Taka but obviously grew out of that and became the great king we all know and love! :)
It's just a theory though, but an interesting one nonetheless. :ha:
When I think of what that BRUTE did.. I get a little TENSE!
ScarLoyal
These lands belong to Scar!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

That's my Lullaby!

Nickname(s): Insane lioness, Rightful Queen, Team Outsiders!
Pride Points: 1

Previous

Return to The Lion King